Chapala.com Webboard

U.S. Citizen Driving Mexican Vehicle into U.S.?

jh5127

I don't think a US Permanent Resident (green card) can legally drive a foreign plated vehicle in the US as they are considered a resident of the US. If she shows a Mexican drivers licence and more ID such as immigration status is required because of an accident I think there will be problems.

A US non-resident citizen can drive a foreign plated vehicle for up to a year.

The regulation says "Nonresidents/visitors may import a vehicle duty-free for personal use up to (1) one year if the vehicle is imported in conjunction with the owner's arrival"

I have crossed into the USA with many vehicles that were not mine. All I had was a notarized letter giving me permission to drive the vehicle. Only one time have I been asked at the border if the vehicle was mine. I said it belonged to the company I worked for. Never asked for proof.   So based on many crossings border agents don't know the rules. Or possibly because there are tens of thousands of Mexican plated cars crossing every day it just isn't important who is using the vehicle or why.

Driving in the US with Jalisco plates I have been stopped twice by state troopers. Never asked any questions about the legality of the vehicle. (There is no document issued by customs  regarding the vehicle so it would be impossible to prove the vehicle's legality.)

The only problems are based on state residency. Every state has a rule about the need for residents to register an out of state vehicle within a set period of time.  An accident or traffic stop might trigger that time clock if you hand them a license for that state or tell the officer that you live in that state. An accident with a licensed driver, currently registered vehicle, and valid insurance would not give cause for a policeman to try to contact customs regarding the  legality of the vehicle.  

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/21/2019 at 4:23 PM, Mostlylost said:

Crossing the border is easy. Thousands of Mexican plated vehicles enter daily. In years I have only been asked once it it was my car. (it wasn't and I said so.. they didn't ask for any proof I had permission) Remember Immigration and customs are federal agencies. They can not enforce state laws. It is possible they could call a state trooper, but they really don't care so why bother...

You can use the vehicle in the USA for one year. Some Mexican insurance policies have US liability coverage. (Check your policy) If not you will need to buy liability coverage to be legal. 

You can not register the car in the USA unless it has the sticker of total US emission and safety requirements and you would need to post a bond because you don't have a title.  Unless you plan to return to live in the USA it would be a great waste of time & money.

I was stopped Texas last year for speeding. Officer saw my Jalisco drivers  license and didn't ask for anything else. Said "please drive slower...  have a nice day"

“You can use the vehicle in the USA for one year” what will happen after the year is over. Can you renew permit to utilize the vehicle for another year? 

23 hours ago, RickS said:

There's no "permit" involved. If stopped they 'may' look at your visa stamp to see how long you've been in the US. Over stay your 1 year at your own risk.

I’m a citizen. I have dual citizenship what would happen in that case? 

On 7/20/2020 at 6:36 AM, Out1 said:

I don't think a US Permanent Resident (green card) can legally drive a foreign plated vehicle in the US as they are considered a resident of the US. If she shows a Mexican drivers licence and more ID such as immigration status is required because of an accident I think there will be problems.

A US non-resident citizen can drive a foreign plated vehicle for up to a year.

I’m a US and Mexican citizen. I have dual citizenship what would happen in that case? 

I have been stopped more than once in the USA. They ask for license, registration & proof of insurance.  Never have I (or any of my Mexican relatives)  been asked for anything else.  One Texas trooper when he saw my license didn't even ask for my reg or ins, just said please slow down. 

Depending on the state they can not legally ask for nationality or legal status.

I doubt that very many state or local police have any idea of the federal rules for the  temporary importation of a vehicle for personal use. 

Literally tens of thousands of Mexican plated vehicles enter the USA on a daily basis. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

First read your Mexican policy. Most include USA liability insurance. I know with my Qualitas I went on-line and printed out my USA coverage page in English from the Qualitas link on my policy.. If you have a question call your agent. 

You can buy short term liability on-line from a Texas insurance company named National Unity  I have never found a way to buy collision/comprehensive.

Here is a link:

https://www.segurogringo.com/

• 1 year later...

Just curious, 

I have been stopped more than once in the USA. They ask for license, registration & proof of insurance.  Never have I (or any of my Mexican relatives)  been asked for anything else.  One Texas trooper when he saw my license didn't even ask for my reg or ins, just said please slow down. 

Mexican or US driver's license? I've got to "retorno seguro" my GA plated car but plan to continue to drive back and forth, probably April/Oct. Considering buying a new car here and using it for the commute and want to cya before I do.

On 3/31/2022 at 1:08 PM, MCR said:

Just curious, 

Mexican or US driver's license? I've got to "retorno seguro" my GA plated car but plan to continue to drive back and forth, probably April/Oct. Considering buying a new car here and using it for the commute and want to cya before I do.

Every state in the USA accepts a Mexican drivers license. If they did not it would be impossible to rent a car. Just as Mexico accepts a USA or Canadian drivers license. Your drivers license has nothing to do with the car you're are driving. 

• Like 1

An important thing to understand about driving a Mexican plated vehicle in the US is what mostlylost said....   " I have never found a way to buy collision/comprehensive."   Buying a Mexican plated vehicle and driving it back and forth between Georgia and Mexico... and also staying in the US for many months WITHOUT collision and/or comprehensive insurance is not my idea of a "good idea".

YMMV  of course

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RickS said:

An important thing to understand about driving a Mexican plated vehicle in the US is what mostlylost said....   " I have never found a way to buy collision/comprehensive."   Buying a Mexican plated vehicle and driving it back and forth between Georgia and Mexico... and also staying in the US for many months WITHOUT collision and/or comprehensive insurance is not my idea of a "good idea".

YMMV  of course

Exactly...and I know, from working at a large one, how much they like to make money. Since no company that I know of will write collision/comp on a Mexican plated vehicle you can be sure they are all convinced doing so would be an invitation for big losses. It ain't some big conspiracy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2