Chapala.com Webboard

Telmex vs Telecable, Again

Couple of questions:

We signed on to the Telmex $999 package, which now seems to go for $599, but Telmex says it can't/won't change the package until the first year has run out. Is this normal?

Does anyone know why Telmex dropped the cost? Competition from Telecable maybe?

Finally, how bad is Telecable now? Friends had it a few years back I nJoco and it was terrible, but things may have changed.

Many thanks.

One can only speculate as to why they dropped the cost, but I suspect it has something to do with over-promising their high-end service, followed up by the fact that they tend to try and double the speed every three years for the same price. They have reached their maximum, until/unless they go all fiber.

I have rarely heard such a ridiculous comment about "won't change the package". Since there never has been a charge to hook up or cancel, it makes no sense. I would call Mexico City (01-800-123-2222) and get ahold of an English support guy, and restate your request. (If you tried at the local office, you are facing a numbness of attitude and effort.) If they repeat the same hooey, you can quickly cancel and re-up. And believe me, there will be major backlash from such a moronic policy.

Three quick questionsL

We signed up for the $999 Telmex package, now priced at $599, but when we talked to Telmex to change they said that we would have to wait unil our original one-year contract ran out. Is this normal?

How does Telecable now cmpare with Telmex? Friends had Telecable in Joco a few years ago, and it was terrible. Has this changed?

Does anyone know why the dorp in Telmex prices?

Many thanks.

I find Telecable to be far more reliable than Telmex, although I've not had it thru a rainy season yet. But Telmex can't come close to the bandwidth available, 10 and 15mb down is available from Telecable, and you actually get that. Your location may be the determining factor, I'm in Ajijic Centro, so the cabling seems to be of good quality. I'm not saying Telecable's perfect, they do have server issues once in awhile, but hey this is Mexico.

Archived