Chapala.com Webboard

Mangia Mia - latest fiasco

Arjay

Because Mangia Mia was highly recommended, we went with 4 friends on Monday. Nice surroundings but overall what a big disappointment.

We arrived at 6:30 and put in our order - 5 of us ordered pizzas and one eggplant parmigiana. After an hour went by and no food arrived, I asked where our food was. He said they were just putting the toppings on the pizza.

The first one arrived 10 minutes later and it was undercooked and very unappetizing. The others followed one at a time shortly afterwards. It was definitely not "the best pizza in town". Very ho-hum and after waiting 1-1/4 hours we had also lost our appetites.

Before we left, again I asked what was the problem and he said something about the oven not working properly but he never told us there was a problem, otherwise we may have gone somewhere else. There was no real apology or offer of compensation.

Overall, a very disappointing experience. Two of our friends were visiting from Canada for just a week, so it was rather embarrassing to take them to this over-rated restaurant.

Whatever anyone else may say, we have always had excellent salads and thin crust, crispy pizzas at La Toscana and will continue to go there from now on.

Four of us just returned from Mangia Mia and had an absolutely fantastic experience. Sandy and I ordered the Bruschetas for an appetizer, as did our friends, and then we split a pizza with cream cheese, salmon, black olives and more! Incredible!!!! Pleasant surroundings, attentive staff, all 'round great time. Our plan is to eat our way through the menu!!!!

Never had a bad meal there. Last week a house guest wanted pizza. I put him on the phone with Christian so he could order what he wanted. It was ready when we went to pick it up. My guest was delighted with the thin, crispy crust and everything that he had wanted on it.

I'll repeat; my crust was like pie dough, not crispy, not bread like, and it was barely luke warm. I will not return. Why would I spend MORE money to see if they can get it right? So, these varied experiences all point to inconsistancy, a veritable hallmark of area restaurants.

We've eaten there 3 or 4 times and always been very pleased. When we have a bad experience in a restaurant we talk to the owner or manager. I'd bet money that El Salto spoke to no one. Some people will leave a business unhappy and tell their friends or post something on a forum. I believe that only good things should appear here and other things should be handled in the business. The old saying," if you can't say something good........!

We've eaten there 3 or 4 times and always been very pleased. When we have a bad experience in a restaurant we talk to the owner or manager. I'd bet money that El Salto spoke to no one. Some people will leave a business unhappy and tell their friends or post something on a forum. I believe that only good things should appear here and other things should be handled in the business. The old saying," if you can't say something good........!

I don't see any value in only allowing positive reviews to be posted as that would not be very informative. However, i think we can all agree that everyone's taste differ at least to some extent..

I agree. So long as posters stick to reporting their experiences without personal comment or rancor, for me the value is reading both the good and not so good. I have noticed that restaurants that have a consistency problem seem to have plenty of both pro and con reviews.

El Salto's comment that inconsistency is a hallmark of area restaurants is spot on IMO. If there is one thing a new place or one that wants to be come a standard needs to strive for, it is consistency. I'll also observe that a limited menu done well and fresh beats trying to excel while serving dozens of items every time.

Restaurants here rarely have a lot of seating and hence don't benefit from economy of scale. However they can lower costs and raise consistency by focusing on doing a few things well rather than a lot of things just so so.

• 2 weeks later...

I just ate at Mangia Mia for the first time on Sunday evening and found everything very good.

I was pleasantly surprised, after having heard mixed reviews. Maybe they have gotten their act together since some of you ate there.There is a full review with pictures at

http://www.lakechapalarestaurantguide.blogspot.mx/2015/03/mangia-mia-christians-cousine.html

Now, I did not have pizza, so maybe their problem was a pizza oven that didn't work properly, but the pastas and main dishes were scrumptious and the restaurant was full of diners who obviously were enjoying their meals.

I have had five pizzas there in the past three weeks and they were all superb. They have a Sicilian Merlot (I know it sounds contradictory) which is wonderful. The pizzas were just what I selected; cooked to perfection; with reasonable wait time and a nice crispy skinny crust. I'm going to ask them to put a little more garlic in their tomato sauce but I don't anticipate any problems in having my request met. Christian and Humberto could not be more cordial. I really like the place. Victor Garcia, his father Ignacio, and the bongo/drum/tambourine guy play on Sunday from 4:00 to 6:00.

Archived