Chapala.com Webboard

Banamex USA -- Beware

Sunday I tried to take money from the ATM in Walmart but received a message that my balance was $0.00. Monday called the bank and got a run around and they would get back to me by Thursday. Concerned about SS payment call back I spent over 30 minutes and finally got through. No problem there. Checked my balance online last night but was told I have no current account and was denied access to my account records. Called the bank again this morning and was told that the bank decided to cancel my account. No reason given and no advanced notice. A cowardly way to do business, especially with the lies. I asked the fellow what about those people who have checks outstanding? No reply. What about the people very low on cash at home awaiting their check? No response? He checked the DHL tracking number and the check is in GDL so I should have it soon. So beware.

If I were you, I would open a small account here in MX for a backup. Now I have to check to see what my best option is before the next SS check is due to arrive.

Sunday I tried to take money from the ATM in Walmart but received a message that my balance was $0.00. Monday called the bank and got a run around and they would get back to me by Thursday. Concerned about SS payment call back I spent over 30 minutes and finally got through. No problem there. Checked my balance online last night but was told I have no current account and was denied access to my account records. Called the bank again this morning and was told that the bank decided to cancel my account. No reason given and no advanced notice. A cowardly way to do business, especially with the lies. I asked the fellow what about those people who have checks outstanding? No reply. What about the people very low on cash at home awaiting their check? No response? He checked the DHL tracking number and the check is in GDL so I should have it soon. So beware.

If I were you, I would open a small account here in MX for a backup. Now I have to check to see what my best option is before the next SS check is due to arrive.

You have plenty of company among those who were kicked under the Banamex bus during this last year with no explanation and very little warning.

I happened to us and other friends. It was a bit of a hassle getting our SS checks changed to a local bank. Contact the SS office in Guadalajara immediately to effect this change. If you get it done in time, you won't miss your checks. Curses on Banamex USA for their high handed, lousy treatment of some long time customers. Mexican Banamex is still good for having a small account so you can use their ATM's.

Have you done any wire transfers from Banamex USA to Mexico, or had any money transferred down to Mexico? It seems like these accounts were the ones that got closed, but if you had never done any foreign exchange from Banamex USA to Mexico, the accounts seem to still be active.

Have you done any wire transfers from Banamex USA to Mexico, or had any money transferred down to Mexico? It seems like these accounts were the ones that got closed, but if you had never done any foreign exchange from Banamex USA to Mexico, the accounts seem to still be active.

Like many others who speculated as to "why", your guess is as good as the others, and nobody knows the real reason. We have read that Banamex USA and Citibank are having their troubles with the U.S. government and any expat without a U.S. address was suspect. We started with them when they were California Commerce Bank, which was over ten years ago.

Our banking was completely straight forward; nothing exciting or any other reason to shut down the account. Substantial balance always. Same with others we know. We had a "linked" account with Banamex Mexico carrying a small balance so that we could have money transferred into that account and have it available at the local ATM's. How exciting was that?

I use Santander to deposit checks made out to us by Met Life for medical reimbursement....I do not use them for any US currency and I only use my Mexican address. They have issued us ATM cards which we only use to withdraw the funds from the local checks when they clear. We carry a 2000 pesos balance which avoids all service charges.......

Their customer service is zero but they do not hassle us in any way and I have never been refused service with the checks that I deposit.

I use Santander to deposit checks made out to us by Met Life for medical reimbursement....I do not use them for any US currency and I only use my Mexican address. They have issued us ATM cards which we only use to withdraw the funds from the local checks when they clear. We carry a 2000 pesos balance which avoids all service charges.......

Their customer service is zero but they do not hassle us in any way and I have never been refused service with the checks that I deposit.

My friend uses Santander and was told today that they will not accept any kind of check. Guess I better check that out myself. Thanks.

Archived