Chapala.com Webboard

Elder Care in Jocotepec

Natasha

If you have not already done so, please read the article In February's Ojo del Lago about the Casa Del Corazon in Jocotepec. Gloria does a remarkable job for some of the poorest and saddest cases of elderly Mexicans in great need, but she can't do it without some help.

When I recently donated an article she needed, she told me that apart from the Royal Canadian Legion (regular supporters -- Yay Canucks!) it seems helping old people is not as apealing as orphans, sick kids, schooling programs or even animals. Of course, all of those are worthy and worthwhile causes.

But how can one read even the few details described in this story and not feel a tug at their heart (and purse) strings?

Sure, Joco is a little out of the way for some, but Roseann Wagner will happliy arrange to meet with you closer to central Lakeside if needed, and any and all donations in cash or kind will be put to the best possible use. (That includes any unwanted or leftover furniture, etc. )

Come on Lakesiders, snowbirds, and short-term visitors -- we're all going to be old(er) some day -- some sooner than later! ^_^ Put yourselves in the place of these unfortunates who are living at the lowest possible level, and do something to lend a little support. Gracias!!

You may wish to do some research and you will find that many "gringos" have poured lots of time and money into that project. It was a poorly designed and constructed place, bound up in politics as to who should run it etc., The best answer is to bulldoze the place down, get city and state and federal monies to construct a new and anti up to its responsibility for looking after ITS senior's.Shame on the local government.

Last year my jewelry group made them necklace and earring sets for Grandparents day. We all had such a great time. Some members of the group put money towards the electric bill every month and other monies.

You may wish to do some research and you will find that many "gringos" have poured lots of time and money into that project. It was a poorly designed and constructed place, bound up in politics as to who should run it etc., The best answer is to bulldoze the place down, get city and state and federal monies to construct a new and anti up to its responsibility for looking after ITS senior's.Shame on the local government.

And do you really think city,state and local governments give a rat's ___ about a few very poor very old people in a non-glamorous municipality that would not attach any glory / publicity etc. to that action? And with the way minimal taxes etc. are collected here (never mind the skimming) where would the money come from?

If it's the government's responsibility (remember, we're not up north so it's not up to to you to decide) to look after orphans, handicapped, sick, or otherwise needy kids in various respects, street animals, etc. then we wouldn't need all the groups we have who take those projects on under their respective wings. So how are some needy old people any different?

I for one don't plan to cast stones on all the reasons to view Gloria and Roseann's efforts negatively. I'll be giving montlhy stipend for food.

Congrats to Hensley's group, and I hope more will jump on board.

Archived