Chapala.com Webboard

Where have all the policeman gone?

Yarboro

Now in our ninth Winter in Lakeside we are struck by the lack of police presence throughout the area. Never in previous visits have the cops been so conspicuous by their absence. We could always count on seeing a police vehicle or two at the Libramiento/Carretera intersection as well as patrolling through the village or speeding to some emergency but this year ... nada

Has there being a reduction in police staffing or are they located elsewhere?

Yes, there is a current reorganization going on throughout the State of Jalisco. Apparently, a bunch of the Chapala cops (including the chief) didn't pass the new testing that is being done of police forces throughout the country and were let go. Jalisco is one of the first Mexican states that will be disbanding municipal police departments and replacing them with an expanded state police force. I believe this is an attempt to upgrade the qualifications of police and reduce corruption in Mexico.

The transitos had a budget cutback. Among other things they eliminated weekend patrols!

Ha, ha,ha, that makes good sense! Perhaps they will only staff the 10:00 PM to 6:00 AM shift and then we can kiss them adios!

"Don't go away mad. just go away".

If the transitos were actually more efficient at their jobs and gave out tickets to people who park in the wrong place, cars that actually are speeding, people turning left against a no left turn sign, people who have their little kids jumping all over the car instead of buckled into car seats, etc. they could increase their budget with the fines. The weekend is when we really need the transitos to keep an eye out for drunk Tapatios.

Believe me they've been told. The Presidente(Huerta) was supposed to send a petition to the state director of mobilidad stating our needs for weekend coverage. I doubt it ever happened

About two months ago the municipal police had quiet a few leave as stated above. Now I see new faces among them but I do not think they are federal police, perhaps just brought in from other locations to fill the vacancies??

If you want to see where they are in the very early hours of the morning drive by the station, the police trucks parked around the station(running on cold nights) and their private cars will have men inside sleeping.

The municipal force is down to bare bones staff. The ones that are still working, generally work 24 hours shifts (24 on, 24 off) and at the same time they are down a few vehicles. The ones working are now covering all over the municipality during their shift, instead of just being assigned to one area. They do employ some from Guadalajara, and I think some from Guadalajara are also filling in (the new faces). I know one that I spoke with said he is absolutely exhuasted, despite having worked the same 24 hour shift for 4+ years. When they have more police, they all have a little more downtime. With the lack of police right now, they are going going going the whole shift. I honestly don't know how they do that.

The municipal force is down to bare bones staff. The ones that are still working, generally work 24 hours shifts (24 on, 24 off) and at the same time they are down a few vehicles. The ones working are now covering all over the municipality during their shift, instead of just being assigned to one area. They do employ some from Guadalajara, and I think some from Guadalajara are also filling in (the new faces). I know one that I spoke with said he is absolutely exhuasted, despite having worked the same 24 hour shift for 4+ years. When they have more police, they all have a little more downtime. With the lack of police right now, they are going going going the whole shift. I honestly don't know how they do that.

The transitos are not the same police force as the municipal police force.

While I agree we had more than our fair share of "banditos transitos" it is not correct that none of them ever did real traffic policing. I and people I know have been the recipients of deserved tickets written with no attempt to collect mordida.

Archived