Chapala.com Webboard

Telmex internet 599 peso package: Unlimited calls to long distance cellphones?

Newbie3

It will cost more to gas up today, but less to make some phone calls.

Effective today, there is no such thing as a long-distance charge for telephone calls within Mexico, from either fixed-line or cellular phones. Elimination of the charge came with federal telecommunications reforms.

Mexico’s dominant player in the telephone business took the new rules a step further this week by eliminating international long-distance charges as well. Carlos Slim’s Telmex made changes to its telephone and internet packages by dropping tariffs on worldwide long-distance calling.

It also included its video-on-demand service, ClaroVideo, as part of the packages, without additional cost. Those changes also take effect today.

Gas and diesel fuel went up today by 3%, based on the projected inflation rate. It will be the only increase this year.

They seem to have dropped the $999 plan, and there is again no information concerning the actual Internet speed. But it does look like no charge for long distance call to anywhere nationally, or internationally (the world). However, their description of "relevant information" muddies the waters: http://downloads.telmex.com/pdf/infoRelevante_Paqueteacerques.pdf

And 200 minutes, no charge, to call any cell phone that requires 044 or 045 in front of the number. Previously, they had given a break on calling 044 numbers, something I've never actually seen.

Here's the fine print on the 599 plan. The less expensive (389?) plan has different fine print, which I didn't look at.

d) Minutos Ilimitados de Larga Distancia Internacional a Estados Unidos de Norteamérica y Canadá (excepto Alaska, Hawai y Puerto Rico)

con la marcación 001 + 10 dígitos,

e) Minutos Ilimitados a teléfonos móviles a través del prefijo de marcación 044 y 045 bajo la modalidad del Que Llama Paga,

f) Minutos Ilimitados de Larga Distancia Mundial (Excepto Cuba, Servicios Especiales, islas de África y Oceanía los cuales se facturan

conforme a la tarifa vigente de Telmex, ver anexo).

g) Tarifas promocionales de larga distancia automática saliente a los siguientes destinos:

1. Minuto de Larga distancia para hablar a Estados Unidos, Canadá y Sudamérica de $1.00 más impuestos en $1.19 (un peso 19/100

M.N.).

2. Minuto de Larga distancia para hablar a Alaska, Hawai, Puerto Rico y destinos Mundiales no incluidos en el Paquete, de $1.00 más

impuestos en $1.19 (un peso 19/100 M.N.).

3. Minuto de Larga distancia para hablar a Cuba de $10.00 más impuestos en $11.95 (once pesos 95/100 M.N).

Someone sent me this, but I don't know if it's accurate...

For pay-as-you-go mobile phone services, you no longer have to deposit something in the account every two months. That’s been extended to one year. And, checking the balance on mobile phones will be free. Plus, when the service contract ends, they have to unlock your phone in order to easily enable another provider to start service on your phone.

Someone sent me this, but I don't know if it's accurate...

For pay-as-you-go mobile phone services, you no longer have to deposit something in the account every two months. That’s been extended to one year. And, checking the balance on mobile phones will be free. Plus, when the service contract ends, they have to unlock your phone in order to easily enable another provider to start service on your phone.

All true. PROFECO sent us a folder with a brief explanation of many of the changes to the telecommunications laws. If there is a PROFECO office near you, you might want to stop in to pick one up. It's very helpful--there are a lot of changes and the ones you mention are just a few of them.

Clarification in today's Banderas News:

spacer.gif
pvnn19.jpgNews Around the Republic of Mexico
spacer-g.gif
spacer.gif
Domestic Long-Distance Call Fees Eliminated in Mexico
Karol Garcia - The Economist
go to original
January 5, 2015
spacer.gif
phone.jpg spacer.gif

Mexico City - In mid-December, Mexico's Instituto Federal de Telecomunicaciones (Federal Telecommunications Institute, or IFT) adopted provisions to ensure that telephone service providers comply with the obligation to refrain from collecting domestic long distance charges from users as of January 1, 2015.

The rules, approved by the full regulatory body, established expressly that from that date, all of the national territory will be considered as a single service area, from which it follows that all calls in the country should be considered as local calls.

This, says the Institute in a statement, is to ensure that there are no long distance fees for cell phone users; end-user fees for dialing a number with a 045 prefix will cost the same as making calls to a number with a 044 prefix.

Similarly, rates for calls preceded by 01 or 02 are now the same as those that are dialed with seven, eight or, in the case of cell phones, 10 digits.

The provisions expressly state that dealers, licensees and authorized agents are only able to register for (or maintain) Local Service rates, and can only charge long distance fees for international calls.

It also states that telephone service dealers and/or authorized agents that have modified the contractual conditions employed in connection with the elimination of national long distance charges must inform users of such changes.

Original article translated and edited by María Francesca for BanderasNews.com.

This sounds too good to be true! On Saturday I made a long distance call to Canada, the long-distance operator told me that I would be charged 90 pesos per minute. If this information is true, it's going to be a boon for us with family in Canada and overseas.

This sounds too good to be true! On Saturday I made a long distance call to Canada, the long-distance operator told me that I would be charged 90 pesos per minute. If this information is true, it's going to be a boon for us with family in Canada and overseas.

The change in the law only applies to calls within Mexico.

It has been reported elsewhere that Carlos Slim has voluntarily made changes to his Telmex and Telcel rates for international calling.

LTBB

If you read the 'fine print' in the Telmex documentation -- which Travis helpfully posted above -- you will see that calls to the US and Canada cost MX$1.19 per minute. (That's about 8 cents.) So yeah, you can talk as long as you want, but not for free.

The advertisements and notifications that Telmex put out about the new rules and rates are incredibly misleading -- in my opinion, deliberately so. My theory is that since the new telecom law is eating into their profits by removing national long distance charges, they are hoping to recoup some of that by upping the income from international calls ... one, by removing the previous 200 free international minutes from all plans, and two, by tricking people into thinking (at least until the next bill comes) that they can make international calls for free.

Guest bennie2

to add to the confusion: landlord stopped by w/the "good news". i get free US calls w/my 389 package. he was born here 100% fluent. but after speaking to me, he now is more confused. he said that the US calls count only as one mexican call. then he said they are taking away the "stay on as long as you want for local" after talking, he said: "guess i need to go back & check"! its really ridiculaus & starts jan 15th.

Archived