Chapala.com Webboard

Monte Cristo Restaurant Dog Isolated

One couple and a young girl who are associated with this restaurant live next door to me. They are "dog people" so I'm puzzled why they'd let this dog be neglected like this. They have been gone since just before Christmas, including their four small dogs and several various cars that are parked on the street. So far, the house is still empty as of today. I'd talk to them if they were home.

Lexy

One couple and a young girl who are associated with this restaurant live next door to me. They are "dog people" so I'm puzzled why they'd let this dog be neglected like this. They have been gone since just before Christmas, including their four small dogs and several various cars that are parked on the street. So far, the house is still empty as of today. I'd talk to them if they were home.

Lexy

Thanks Lexy -- also, I wanted to mention that the dog is being fed -- she's got plenty of weight on her. Sometimes people think that's all a dog like her (a "guard dog") needs.

• 2 weeks later...

Call in rescue people!! Even if the people will be home soon....its cruel and not fair to have left her like this..my heart breaks for this dog now...please do the right thing, have her removed and thank you for reporting and feeding and helping.......... Keep us posted here........

I am not sure leaving dogs otherwise being taken care of alone is considered under the law to be abuse, certainly not a well-fed dog left in a business establishment after hours.

I understand the department handling animal abuse cases is understaffed and its priority is going to be starved, sick, beaten, abandoned animals. Sounds as though this dog is socialized to humans and is lonely for companionship. While that is heartbreaking to us, we need to consider the bigger picture here.

I am not sure leaving dogs otherwise being taken care of alone is considered under the law to be abuse, certainly not a well-fed dog left in a business establishment after hours.

I understand the department handling animal abuse cases is understaffed and its priority is going to be starved, sick, beaten, abandoned animals. Sounds as though this dog is socialized to humans and is lonely for companionship. While that is heartbreaking to us, we need to consider the bigger picture here.

Yeah Xena, that's what I was thinking. That as long as it's fed and has no signs of physical harm, it's not considered abuse here. I am going to wait until they re-open and speak to the owners. I wish there was more I could do. Thanks for the solid advice.

I just posted in their review section of their Facebook page and got an immediate response. Says that his dog's name is Chata and that he saved her from the street and she was just skin and bones, that she is the restaurants pet and they feed her and take care of her -- that he can't let her about free because customers come with their own dogs. I'm glad he responded. I only just replied that she is still alone all the time and sad and can't he bring her into his home instead of leaving her there alone all the time. I have to go out now. Don't know if he'll respond again, but maybe things will get better for Chata from now on.

There is a grassy area there where they keep her tied up during business hours. It would be easy to fence it off. The owner also does a lot of the wrought iron work you see there. I wonder how much the material to put up a wrought iron fence would be?

Two of the people associated with the restaurant live next door to me. They were away during xmas holidays. They are now putting in an appearance at the house again. Something is going on with them. They come and go, but the front of the house is a mess, with broken glass bottles not being cleaned up and dead plants. A Corvette is parked in the car port not being used. The people living there use two different cars parked on the street.

My husband is desperately ill in the hospital in Guad. I'm sorry I cannot take even a moment to try to speak to them. They live in Villa Nova, Calle Hacienda #7 (I think, as I am #9). This is the street that you are on as soon as you drive in under the Villa Nova arches.

I'm sorry this is all I can offer in the way of info.

Lexy

There is a grassy area there where they keep her tied up during business hours. It would be easy to fence it off. The owner also does a lot of the wrought iron work you see there. I wonder how much the material to put up a wrought iron fence would be?

Steel is very expensive right now.

Maybe you could ask the cost of material and see if it's something you might want to help offset the cost of.

Two of the people associated with the restaurant live next door to me. They were away during xmas holidays. They are now putting in an appearance at the house again. Something is going on with them. They come and go, but the front of the house is a mess, with broken glass bottles not being cleaned up and dead plants. A Corvette is parked in the car port not being used. The people living there use two different cars parked on the street.

My husband is desperately ill in the hospital in Guad. I'm sorry I cannot take even a moment to try to speak to them. They live in Villa Nova, Calle Hacienda #7 (I think, as I am #9). This is the street that you are on as soon as you drive in under the Villa Nova arches.

I'm sorry this is all I can offer in the way of info.

Lexy

Hi Lexy, I'm so sorry to hear about your husband! My thoughts and prayers are with you. Please just take care of yourselves. Thank you so much for the information.

Here's a link to a dog who was recently abandoned. He might make a great companion for the dog at Monte Cristo. If someone will talk to them and they are interested, I am willing to help pay for any expenses to get it going i.e. neutering, vaccines, etc. https://www.facebook.com/groups/884995861533687/941816595851613/?notif_t=group_comment_reply

Note that the link works if cut and pasted.

That old wive's tale of same sex dogs not getting along is just--very old and worn out. It totally depends on the personality of the dogs. I have all females and they get along fine--3 now and one I had to put to sleep a few months ago makes 4 together.

Not exactly an old wives tale. If you have ever broken up a bitch fight, you can see that in their minds it is "to the death". If you have a bossy female - get a male dog or a submissive female. If you have a submissive or very mellow female, a bossy female may still cause problems if added to the household. It is always a good idea to be aware and evaluate more than what the new dog looks like when adding new dogs to the household.

That old wive's tale of same sex dogs not getting along is just--very old and worn out. It totally depends on the personality of the dogs. I have all females and they get along fine--3 now and one I had to put to sleep a few months ago makes 4 together.

Yes many females do get along and others do for years and then decide only one should live. Females, unlike most males, usually fight to the death. Not something I want to be involved with. If they want another dog there are plenty of males - why chance it?

Archived