Chapala.com Webboard

Hummingbird Feeders

Arjay

I love to watch the birds. Does anyone know where I can buy a decent hummingbird feeder Lakeside?

I have bought quite a few from the store on Constitucion and the Plaza dollar store and in a very short time they invariably start to leak and drip all over the place. I don't know what causes it but I've only had my current one for about 6 weeks and it's leaking. I tried putting red electrical tape around the connection around the base and it worked perfectly for one day.

Help, please.

Their address is Carretera #212. Big yellow building on Lake side if the Carretera. Also known as the Animal Shelter Store. Next to Ladrone Veterinary.

If you have friends coming down from NOB, have them bring you a HummZinger. Or the house brand from Wild Birds Unlimited (same product - different package) Worth every penny. Tough, easy to clean (no hidden places to collect deadly black mold so you don't have to Clorox them every few days), won't leak due to design, and the hummers love them. I've had mine for about 12 years. When we lived the the Colorado Rockies, we had one blown off our 2nd story deck onto the rocks below during a serious wind storm. Not a scratch or a crack.

Their address is Carretera #212. Big yellow building on Lake side if the Carretera. Also known as the Animal Shelter Store. Next to Ladrone Veterinary.

If you have friends coming down from NOB, have them bring you a HummZinger. Or the house brand from Wild Birds Unlimited (same product - different package) Worth every penny. Tough, easy to clean (no hidden places to collect deadly black mold so you don't have to Clorox them every few days), won't leak due to design, and the hummers love them. I've had mine for about 12 years. When we lived the the Colorado Rockies, we had one blown off our 2nd story deck onto the rocks below during a serious wind storm. Not a scratch or a crack.

Thank you - LFA were closed early today. We also went to the one next to Soriana and they had the same cheap style I've bought here which are notoriously bad for leaking and I can't figure out why they leak. They also had a nice one for $440 pesos - not quite in my budget. I wish I could make one myself. We have friends coming down early in the New Year but it's too close to Christmas to ask them to buy a HummZinger at this late stage.

I have been buying them for years at all the above mentioned places and they just do not hold up. I don't know if it is the sunlight (UV), or what but it is a fact of life.

If you are going to the States I would suggest you bring back several. I got a glass one at Lowes in McAllen last spring and so far so good.

The part that has the fake flowers that the hummers feed from is the only plastic part. I have been expecting that to leak so far it is holding up.

If you, or somebody you know, can bring some back from the US, I highly recommend the Hummzinger feeders. They are a "disc" shape, like a deep plate/shallow bowl, The red top fits easily on top and doesn't need to be screwed on. Because the holes are from the top, it doesn't drip like the ones with feeder holes coming from the sides. They're very easy access and easy to clean. Hummers have to stick their long tongues down to get nectar, but bees can't reach so they don't hang around. It comes with a metal hangar rod - be sure to get that out of the box before throwing it away as it's easy to miss. There's an ant guard moat that you can fill to prevent ants from getting to the feeder, if that's an issue for you. Overall, the BEST feeders we've ever used, and we've tried several different configurations. Do a search on Amazon and read the other reviews and comments.

Heather

Years ago I thought my feeders were leaking but after a while I realized that they were full at night and empty in the morning. Turns out that Fruit Bats were feeding on them and spilling lots while they were eating.

That MAY be your problem. Do you see yours leaking or are they "leaking" only at night ?

Years ago I thought my feeders were leaking but after a while I realized that they were full at night and empty in the morning. Turns out that Fruit Bats were feeding on them and spilling lots while they were eating.

That MAY be your problem. Do you see yours leaking or are they "leaking" only at night ?

This is not the problem because I take the feeder indoors at night because of the bats. I put up the feeder this morning and no dripping for a few hours and then it started again in the afternoon.

I'll look forward to buying a HummZinger when I get back to Toronto.

In the meantime, I made my own feeder - yet to be tried. I bought a small plastic container with a red lid from the dollar store (6 pesos), and with great difficulty, because I don't have an electric drill, made a hole in the middle of the lid large enough to take the neck of an old feeder. Then punched 4 holes in the top of the lid to use as feeding holes. Can't wait to see if it works.

I ordered my Hummzingers through Amazon.com they shipped them here to Mexico and were here in 3 days. If you are going to buy one please do not forget to buy the bee guards that are sold separately that go on the feeding ports under the cover. They really work well in keeping the bees out. I have had my 3 Hummzingers for 3 years they work like a charm, very easy to clean and the hummers love them.

I ordered my Hummzingers through Amazon.com they shipped them here to Mexico and were here in 3 days. If you are going to buy one please do not forget to buy the bee guards that are sold separately that go on the feeding ports under the cover. They really work well in keeping the bees out. I have had my 3 Hummzingers for 3 years they work like a charm, very easy to clean and the hummers love them.

Hi, Glyn. How much did it cost and how much was shipping? Did they ship to your home address here or do you have a mailbox? Thanks.

Hi Arjay,

The Hummzingers are expensive I paid $15 for mine for the first one and the shipping was $7.50. I found the money was well spent. I have bought the cheap ones here and found they leak all over the place. The bee guards work very well, with the cheap ones the hummers were having a difficult time getting to the feeders sometimes 30 bees on one. Also I never have a problem with the bats drinking the sugar water. The Hummzingers are so easy to clean it has a lid on it which just comes off. Check them out on Google.

Glyn

Hi Arjay,

The Hummzingers are expensive I paid $15 for mine for the first one and the shipping was $7.50. I found the money was well spent. I have bought the cheap ones here and found they leak all over the place. The bee guards work very well, with the cheap ones the hummers were having a difficult time getting to the feeders sometimes 30 bees on one. Also I never have a problem with the bats drinking the sugar water. The Hummzingers are so easy to clean it has a lid on it which just comes off. Check them out on Google.

Glyn

Hi, Glyn. I didn't see any that cheap on Amazon - that's not expensive. Did they ship to your home address here or do you have a mailbox? Thanks.

I think the best, longest-lasting hummingbird feeders are "Best-1 Hummingbird Feeders" made in Poteet, Texas. The base comes apart for easy cleaning, and because there are no yellow "blossom" parts over the holes bees and wasps are not attracted to them. I don't know if the lack of yellow parts would make a difference to bats, though.

They hold 4 cups of liquid. I have 4 of them and when the babies come out of the nests in the spring I have to fill them every day. Right now the population is much lower and I can concentrate on building up my supply of refined sugar. Don't use unrefined sugar because some residue of sugar making that remains is harmful to the birds. You can tell by the slight yellow color of the liquid--refined sugar water is clear.

Here's an address and phone number for Best Feeders, Inc.--PO Box 998, Poteet, TX 78065, 1-830-742-3604. I have never found a website for the company.

Happy birding!

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Thank you everyone for your helpful tips.

It appears you need to set up an account with Sol y Luna and might get hit with customs charges.

Some of the bird feeders you've suggested look good and I'll follow up.

My home-made one unfortunately is not working out too well. It creates a vacuum so that the bottle of nectar isn't filling enough into the lower feeding part. When I release the vacuum, the nectar comes tumbling out. Back to the drawing board.

Amazon delivers right to your door by UPS or DHL. You can track your package and they will try to deliver for three days in a row. It's usually the same delivery man and I meet him with a coke each time. He knows to try my neighbors if I'm not home. Amazon's customer service is excellent and it helps when shopping to check the box on the left for Shipping to Mexico. Then only the items that will ship to Mexico will be listed for you to choose from. I have found the reviews to be most helpful when making my selections and with one click I've made the purchase without having to fill out a form each time. I then have 30 minutes to change my mind.

Amazon delivers right to your door by UPS or DHL. You can track your package and they will try to deliver for three days in a row. It's usually the same delivery man and I meet him with a coke each time. He knows to try my neighbors if I'm not home. Amazon's customer service is excellent and it helps when shopping to check the box on the left for Shipping to Mexico. Then only the items that will ship to Mexico will be listed for you to choose from. I have found the reviews to be most helpful when making my selections and with one click I've made the purchase without having to fill out a form each time. I then have 30 minutes to change my mind.

Thanks, Sunny. Did you have to pay customs/duties and if so, how much, please? I live in a gated community so I wonder if they will leave it with the guard.

Archived