Chapala.com Webboard

Must-Read Article about the Future of Mexico

More Liana

http://latincorrespondent.com/mexico/opening-history/

English-speaking readers who are keen to keep up with the news about what has happened in Mexico since the disappearance of 43 students in the state of Guerrero in late September would do well to make note of the name John M. Ackerman.

Ackerman, a law professor at Mexico’s National Autonomous University (UNAM), editor-in-chief of Mexican Law Review, columnist for Mexican publications La Jornada and Proceso, frequent contributor or interviewee to a number of international media outlets including Foreign Policy and Huffington Post, and prolific tweeter, Ackerman has been a valuable source of information and reporting.
...click on the link to read more.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't agree with his statement that we have time...... In meanwhile, it is business as usual for a lot of corrupt police, politicians and other people in power, which means that, again, in meanwhile, a lot of innocent people will have to pay a high price.

How could he even say that after years and years of misery, that Mexico has time.

Also,..... tell the parents of the 43 students, that "we have time".

According to many..... that man should never have been in office to begin with...., so we have time ??

They (the parents) actually claimed that even with the holiday season and the political world coming to a stop or slow down, they will continue their action.

It is also about the momentum......

And how could he see the church stepping in,..... in a country where religion and politics are walking a thin line ?? The church might even be part of the problem(s).

I would say..... we are running out of time and patience..... and a temporary government of technocrats, supervised and helped by UN and the international court could be a solution. You can not build a democracy without solid foundations. They can prepare and oversee proper elections (which will not happen overnight, but should not take years and years).

I know..... not the perfect solution,...... but what is the alternative ??

Rony

I would say..... we are running out of time and patience..... and a temporary government of technocrats, supervised and helped by UN and the international court could be a solution. You can not build a democracy without solid foundations. They can prepare and oversee proper elections (which will not happen overnight, but should not take years and years).

Rony

Deleted...

and a temporary government of technocrats, supervised and helped by UN and the international court could be a solution.

Rony

Mexico has enough problems without adding another corrupt bureaucracy to the mix.

The UN is the least of all evils...... What is the alternative ??

In the 19th century, on several occasions, big countries gathered together to determine the faith, the borders (and other....) of one or more other countries (like Belgium)..... not always with the best result (to say the least)....... but again........ the least of all evils.

There is no perfect solution.

The UN is a peacekeeping organization. It does not set up governments or run governments. It cannot fail at running a government because that is not what it does.

http://www.un.org/en/documents/charter/chapter1.shtml

it supervises elections and "keeping the peace" is the goal here (or getting there)....... They could definetely help.

My real point is that the international community could help, if the Mexican people want it to. After all, it is a problem (drugs and other) that is also linked to other countries..... the more reason to believe that every international support is welcome.

We, the international community are part of the problem..... we can be part of the solution.

It is easy to say why something would not work and to be critical..... I can do that as well............, I will ask you again..... give me an alternative...... but it stays awfully quiet on the "solution front".

Rony

The best soution would be to get rid of all the politicians now in office because they are almost all corrupt. Open the lists of potential candidates for a popular vote (now candidates are chosen by the local party bosses); and make every potential candidate pass a poligraph test (proposed by the PAN in the next cycle in the Spring), the same as we do for police. Also it is important to resist the Preesident's plan (already implemented in several municipalities in Jalisco) to disolve the ayuntamiento (city hall) and get rid of the municipal police, replacing them with Fuerza Unica people (known to be the equivilent of the SS without lots of human rights violations).

These are not my solutions but ones that I have read online from different sources. Mexico has only been a democracy since 2000; before it had a dictatorship by a single party and before that a 30 year in power President, Porfirio Diaz. Getting rid of local government is a step back. This government wants to centralize the power and we know where that goes.....

it supervises elections and "keeping the peace" is the goal here (or getting there)....... They could definetely help.

My real point is that the international community could help, if the Mexican people want it to. After all, it is a problem (drugs and other) that is also linked to other countries..... the more reason to believe that every international support is welcome.

We, the international community are part of the problem..... we can be part of the solution.

It is easy to say why something would not work and to be critical..... I can do that as well............, I will ask you again..... give me an alternative...... but it stays awfully quiet on the "solution front".

Rony

It is against the Mexican Constitution for uniformed foreign soldiers to enter Mexico. U.S. soldiers working in Mexico cannot wear their uniforms.

I don't know what Mexico can do but it needs to do something before it collapses.

Rony

Maybe it's quiet on the "solution front" because most of us realize that we don't have a solution to Mexico's problems,sometimes it's better to be quiet than to make silly suggestions like bringing in the UN to govern Mexico...

Also it is important to resist the Preesident's plan (already implemented in several municipalities in Jalisco) to disolve the ayuntamiento (city hall) and get rid of the municipal police, replacing them with Fuerza Unica people (known to be the equivilent of the SS without lots of human rights violations).

These are not my solutions but ones that I have read online from different sources.

I suggest that you look for other sources.

The municipal police are usually the most easily corrupted.

What happened in Iguala happened because of actions taken by local authorities,I've yet to see it linked to the federal government.

I suggest that you look for other sources.

The municipal police are usually the most easily corrupted.

What happened in Iguala happened because of actions taken by local authorities,I've yet to see it linked to the federal government.

I suggest that you look for other sources yourself. Watch Aristegui's interview of a few days ago, where the highly respected journalist Anabel Hernandez did link it. + very recent articles in La Jornada.

..... just a silly suggestion.

Rony

Guest bennie2

rony, you are so wrong. the U.N. is a far cry from the 19th century! it is now a corrupt, opportunist & dangerous org. they are working to destroy the world not make it better. its always had an ugly side, but now its over the top. everyday, the USA is turning into the worse aspects of mexico. we are right behind europe. just give it ten years. the UN is just another paid off b.s. front. no kumbaya from bennie. this world org is responsible for so much evil. case closed. for those who think there is a wizard in OZ, well what you dont know wont hurt you. behind the curtain is something else. best to be naive, better for your health.

rony, you are so wrong. the U.N. is a far cry from the 19th century! it is now a corrupt, opportunist & dangerous org. they are working to destroy the world not make it better. its always had an ugly side, but now its over the top. everyday, the USA is turning into the worse aspects of mexico. we are right behind europe. just give it ten years. the UN is just another paid off b.s. front. no kumbaya from bennie. this world org is responsible for so much evil. case closed. for those who think there is a wizard in OZ, well what you dont know wont hurt you. behind the curtain is something else. best to be naive, better for your health.

wether it is under a UN flag or something else..... other countries already have their say in the matter (behind the curtains that you mention). They might as well bring it to better use. It doesn't have to be the UN. Maybe part of the solution lies abroad (there I agree with J. Ackerman......). As long as we don't send a Belgian princess and Austrian emperor anymore..... we know where that ended.

But....Keep in mind..... they are already doing it..... DNA of what could be the remains of the 43 missing students have been sent to Austria and Argentina (and other foreign intervention)....... no trust in their own (not necessarily because of the lack of expertise), it is hard, but that is the way it is.... a fact that is not to be neglected.

The young Mexican guy interrupting the Nobel Prize event in Oslo cried out to the world.

And it is not all gloom and doom (did I say that right ? )...... Maybe I am being subjective (coming from that area in the world, or very close to it)..... while the international court in The Hague still has a long way to go, I believe that it is a good start. There are the right tools outthere.

Rony

People are free to present as facts any thoughts, ideas, opinions or delusions they have. That is okay--as long as other people keep in mind that what they are reading are not necessarily facts but are likely thoughts, ideas, opinions or delusions.

I suggest that you look for other sources yourself. Watch Aristegui's interview of a few days ago, where the highly respected journalist Anabel Hernandez did link it. + very recent articles in La Jornada.

..... just a silly suggestion.

Rony

I've read Ms. Hernandez' article, which was published in Proceso, and discovered that the facts presented in the body of the article do not support the wild claims and accusations made in the introduction. In fact, some of the information in the article, which supposedly incriminates the federal government, actually supports the federal government's version of events.

I've read Ms. Hernandez' article, which was published in Proceso, and discovered that the facts presented in the body of the article do not support the wild claims and accusations made in the introduction. In fact, some of the information in the article, which supposedly incriminates the federal government, actually supports the federal government's version of events.

That is your personal interpretation, Alex.

Archived