Chapala.com Webboard

Dog Repellant

CHILLIN: Actually, I threw stones at the dog and he merely looked at it and didn't move a lick. Continued to be defiant. You cannot bluff this dog. He is a hard case.

What breed is he?

Interesting - rocks hurt, and the dog would remember that. The next one is more physical, and you might need help. You need to make a sturdy pole with a noose on it. Look on google for a design. Animal control officers would use two poles, two people. Noose the dog and you can safely move it anywhere. Tie it to a tree, on a short chain and collar. The owner will get tired of trying to find the dog and then do something about it. In Mexico, again unfortunately, this might mean keeping it on a chain in their yard - which can make an animal mentally ill.

Personally - I would like to see more proactive animal control as they are introducing in Mexico City.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/mexico-city-vets-pet-owners-object-animal-law

There are just too many people having dogs, selling supplies and fixing them, for the sole reason of making money.

Wouldn't you think that dog already has some mental illness? Under the circumstances, it should be chained.

I should add two other things - but I have no personal experience with either. One is to devise a horrible smelling spray, that is non-toxic to dogs. When the dogs consistently return home, smelling like they have been rolling in a rotten carcass, let's say, the owner will get tired of bathing them and find a way to stop their roaming. The other is to walk quietly, and carry a big stick. Not a tree branch, but a hiking staff which has been drilled into the top and filled with melted or epoxied lead. Show it to you neighbor, explain that you feel threatened by their dog, and you are not afraid to use it. If he politely informs you where he is going place the hiking staff if you kill his dog - then you do have a problem!

There is a large feed and livestock store in Jocotepec which might carry cattle prods.

I have refrained from participating in this discussion until someone suggested throwing rocks at the dog which is never one of my ideas. There is a kinder and more effective solution. Take 3 soda or beer cans and put several rattling size stones in them and duct tape the opening. When the dog approachs screw up your best authoritative stance and a voice like Gramdma would use chasing the kids from her apple tree and tell the dog to get the heck out of your face and shake the can if he turns away throw it in his direction on the ground where it will make lots of noise. As he retreats go toward him still encouraging him to leave and be prepared to toss your next can as you keep shouting and retrieve the original missile. Several of these episodes will convince him to try a kinder and friendlier neighbor. Good Luck. I know you can do it. artthedogguy

Hey Oso, why dont you talk to the owners and get the dog neutered ?

Tell them it's either that or you will take more serious actions since you feel threatened by the dog.

There are free campaigns and besides you would be doing them a favor .

If someone around here knows the Neutering Program people , they might take the campaign over to that neighborhood and neuter all dogs/cats in the neighborhood.

It's a win/win for everyone.

A small addition. I have been known to toss a hand full of gravel at persistent yappy ankle biters as I shoo them off home.

Plus there is a commercial product that is helpful. Check out the Pet Corrector on Amazon. It is an aerosol can of compressed air that emits a loud hissing which has good reviews. I know several people who have used it to deal with various problems. The advantage is it is noise so it doesn't need to be pointed or aimed. It is about $8 on Amazon and possibly available at Petco in Guad. artthedogguy

I used to use the cans but with pennies, in the States. The metal on metal sound produced more results for me than stones. Throwing it at their feet seemed to deter the most stubborn dogs. If you can shake/ throw it before the dog is in "high gear" so much the better.

I wondered about wasp spray but am concerned about permanent eye damage. Do you have any reassurance that it will not do that? The advantage is the distance you can keep from the dog. If I had to get close enough to use a tazer the dog would be close enough to inflict damage to me, especially if the other fogs chimed in.

I would imagine this would depend on the product and its contents. I am looking at my can of EcoSmart organic wasp spray (very effective on wasps). In the precaution statement, it says that if the product gets in your eyes, flush your eyes with water for fifteen minutes. If the irritation persists, see your physician. I don't know what that means in terms of potential for permanent damage. On the other hand, if I were being attacked by a dog, I don't think I would be concerned about that . . .

I used to use the cans but with pennies, in the States. The metal on metal sound produced more results for me than stones. Throwing it at their feet seemed to deter the most stubborn dogs. If you can shake/ throw it before the dog is in "high gear" so much the better.

Natbug: Finally a use for those 10 centavo coins!

Archived