Chapala.com Webboard

Dog Repellant

I have a problem with a pack of dogs (3) who are vicious and come onto my property with the sole goal to attack my dogs. There is one dog in particular that is the instigator. I have whacked him with a tree branch but he does not back down. He snarls and makes moves toward me and I have no doubt as to his intentions.

So I am looking for an effective repellant to deter him. Pepper spray? Strong enough? Wasp spray? Ammonia water? Vinegar water? The catch is that I do not want to permanently blind him, just make sure he gets the message to stay away.

I have talked to the neighbor owners who are nice people but short of tying him up there is not much they can do. If the instigator would stay away I believe the others would as well and he would not have to be tied up. One of them accompanies us off and on for our walks,

I appreciate any ideas as to an effective repellant or any other effective solution. Thanks in advance.

Used to use a pharmacy grade ammonia (stronger) when on a bicycle paper route. Had it in a squirt gun but an adjustable spray bottle would work better. To keep dogs from chewing an item, we used to spray the item with 'bitter apple' we'd get from a pet store. Might check with a pet store or vet here to determine the best non lethal repellent. Anti bark collars use citronella but I don't know if you can get it in liquid form. Good luck and let us know what you find that works.

Mike

Good luck with that. Two very aggressive Rhodesian ridgebacks nearly killed my neighbor's very sweet dog, and shredded the arm of the owner trying to protect it. They've stalked me too and scare the hell out of me. Couple whacks with a stout stick worked for me, but if they catch me unawares, I'm in trouble. The guy with the sweet dog got a mean taser, but he's kind of....different....and not concerned about the legality of it. If the neighbors know and refuse to tie it up, you'd be well within your rights to clobber it. Hope it doesn't have to come to that.

there is a couple at the top of the Ajijic tianguis who sell tazers. Just the crackling sound scares off most dogs and I've seen a promo where one puts down a texas longhorn bull. Ours is rechargeable and is the size of a cigarette pack

He beat the dog???

Don't pay attention to cbviajero.he is not sound of mind. He wants me to beat the dog with a fence, at least that is what he said. When the dog got too close to me in a very aggressive manner I smacked him with a tree branch. He tried circling around through the brush to get behind me but I saw him and that was that. You could see the anger in his eyes and he would not be persuaded to let it go. I will try the ammonia. He hasn't been around for two days and either the owner has him and his pack mates secured or maybe he put them down. His decision.

there is a couple at the top of the Ajijic tianguis who sell tazers. Just the crackling sound scares off most dogs and I've seen a promo where one puts down a texas longhorn bull. Ours is rechargeable and is the size of a cigarette pack

How close to the critter do you have to get to use it? Does the fur interfere with how it works? Have you had to use it? I will check that out Wednesday. Thanks.

How are the dogs getting on to your property? That is very scary.

My property, like many others, is not fenced or walled. Pretty rural atmosphere. Mostly all of the neighborhood dogs get along as they are socialized, visit neighbors, and tolerate humans going by with a warning bark, This particular dog, the instigator, is the exception. Had a dog, a Beagle, tag along with us on our afternoon walk, and she spent the night and had supper. Like Hillary said, it takes a community to raise a dog. But if they are not out and about in the community that doesn't work. This dog is the unfortunate exception to that truism. I think his pack mates would be OK without his negative influences.

Take care of this immediately, a friend of mine had his Springer Spaniel attacked on his own yard and the results were that the hind leg had to be amputated and within three weeks the dog had to be put down, she was not recovering from the leg being removed. The neighbor did nothing to compensate for a thousand dollar plus vet bill.

The tazer sounds like a good idea they will likely run away when they hear it and if they ever approach close enough to touch them they will never forget that.

I am a dog person and I hate this whole idea. BUT you cannot play around with a dog pack. I once watched helplessly as a pack killed and tore apart my 8 year old Weimaraner. I suggest you get several cans of wasp spray from Superlake. It is not lethal, but it will STOP them. In fact it will stop a human attacker. You have to hit them in the face. But when you do, they will forget all about their attack. The big advantage is that a wasp spray aerosol will give you 10 to 20 feet and multiple shots. Neither pepper spray or tazer will give you that. And the wasp spray is a very inexpensive solution comparatively speaking.

I wondered about wasp spray but am concerned about permanent eye damage. Do you have any reassurance that it will not do that? The advantage is the distance you can keep from the dog. If I had to get close enough to use a tazer the dog would be close enough to inflict damage to me, especially if the other fogs chimed in.

I have a friend who has a taser. The sound alone sends dogs scurrying. She has never had to do more than aim it at the ground and let it buzz. There are voltage settings so you can give the dog a slight jolt and turn it up if necessary. The dog you are describing is dangerous and the pack will join in if it attacks. Please protect yourself and your dogs.

"Normally"?

What's to like about neighbors who allow their killer dogs to run loose?

An interesting question. So far it is not a killer but the solution would change if it became one. I try to pick the least severe solution to any problem Normally that means in this context killing the offender is the quickest and simplest solution but causes grief for others. So, for now at least, I opt for a less severe yet effective approach. Death is, however, still on the table. Also, killing the dog could result in active or passive aggression on their part. As bad as this dog is, the HS student in the family loves it dearly. All actions have consequences and the actions of sentient beings are held to a higher standard.

I believe that one of the techniques that Art Hess recommends is to PRETEND to pick up a rock from the ground and throw it at the dog. Like it or not, many young boys like to stone stray dogs and the dogs know what this means. The only trouble is that if the owner of the dog sees this they may also assume you are throwing stones. It is the same with pepper spray - the letter carriers where I used to live were issued pepper spray, but they said if they used it the dogs would scream, and then the carriers would fear for their lives from the irate/violent owners. So now if there is even the slightest risk, the carriers get an order issued which stops all mail to that address until the problem is fixed to that carrier's satisfaction.

The biggest problem that I see is that owners of a nice dog, a loved family pet, usually protect it (ironically - from humans!). Many dogs are sort of strays and they wander around until they get sick or run over. There has been a huge population of that category.

CHILLIN: Actually, I threw stones at the dog and he merely looked at it and didn't move a lick. Continued to be defiant. You cannot bluff this dog. Interesting observation is that if you are walking alone he pretty much ignored you. He is a hard case. I need a solution that will work at a distance, like a cattle prod. If I got close with a tazer, for example, and he got that arm in his jaws I would be in trouble when the rest of the pack joined in. I would be very surprised that the sparky noise would impress him.

Interesting - rocks hurt, and the dog would remember that. The next one is more physical, and you might need help. You need to make a sturdy pole with a noose on it. Look on google for a design. Animal control officers would use two poles, two people. Noose the dog and you can safely move it anywhere. Tie it to a tree, on a short chain and collar. The owner will get tired of trying to find the dog and then do something about it. In Mexico, again unfortunately, this might mean keeping it on a chain in their yard - which can make an animal mentally ill.

Personally - I would like to see more proactive animal control as they are introducing in Mexico City.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/mexico-city-vets-pet-owners-object-animal-law

There are just too many people having dogs, selling supplies and fixing them, for the sole reason of making money.

Archived