Chapala.com Webboard

Update on Emmision Control stickers

Natasha

Last year I had my sticker done on Colon in San Antonio by very nice mecánico. Process seemed in order, but then there was a flurry of issues about "authorized" and "non-authorized" locations earlier this year (mostly to do with Guad, but.....). I know there's a post in here somewhere, but probably buried too far back.

Anyway, decided to write to Jalisco office (yes, in Spanish) to be sure this is an approved location since all signs etc. are still on display.

Response? NO. The only authorized emmision control (afinación controlada) location in the entire municipality of Chapala is located on Zaragoza # 375 in Chapala, between Flavio Romero and Degollado.

For those who go often to Guad and want to avoid a problem if ever checked, just a heads-up.

I Think!!!!! that Car City may do the tests..they get around being "authorized" by using the stickers from their main center in Guad..I Think!!!

That may well be.... but since the official office in Guad stated (3 conversations back and forth) that ONLY the guy on Zaragoza in Chapala is legal, why mess around? Just go there (when your date comes up) and save yourself future problems. Or.....

When I get my emissions inspection at the Honda dealer in Guad, I get a certificate, not a sticker.

I recently had my Honda serviced at the dealer close to Plaza Galerias. They also did the emission test and put on the sticker as well as giving me the certificate. If you do not have the sticker you should contact the dealer as that is what the police look for when checking vehicles.

Last number of license plate corresponds to the renewal month.

See page 11 here:

http://www.chapalalaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Driving.pdf

For some reason it skips June and December, that is not explained.

They have to skip 2 months as there are 12 months and only 10 numbers between 0 and 9.

Archived