Chapala.com Webboard

Internet speed, Riberas del Pilar

I must live in the slow zone area. I think I have the middle package, but too often, ookla gives me UNDER 1mb! I'm thrilled, shocked and delighted when I get anywhere near 3. Going to Telmex mañana to see what's what. I think the growth in Riberas may contribute as Telmex doesn't have adequate servers for this area.

Don't bother going to the office. Instead call Mexico City tech support at 01-800-123-2222, and ask for someone with English. They are far better equipped. Our guys here in Ajijic know nothing, see nothing, do nothing. Trust me on this. And it's not the servers, it's the infracstructure here.

Don't bother going to the office. Instead call Mexico City tech support at 01-800-123-2222, and ask for someone with English. They are far better equipped. Our guys here in Ajijic know nothing, see nothing, do nothing. Trust me on this. And it's not the servers, it's the infracstructure here.

Muchas gracias for all the information. I never know how to proceed with tech stuff. ;-)

For the past 4 day In lower Riberas, we have been experiencing multiple Internet outages with TelMex Infinitum per day, at all hours of the day and night -- sometimes only 1 - 2 minutes,, sometimes several hours at a time. It is becoming so frequent that it is getting troublesome.

Heretofore, for the past year, the service has been extremely reliable. This is a very unpleasant change of events -- especially as my work is in the US and I use the Internet to telecommute.

Unfortunately, the pastor down the street indicates that Telecable is even worse and he goes several days without internet, regularly.

I do have a 3G stick, but the speeds are insufficent for my internet needs.

I have already had to move twice because of poor Internet and it would really bite if I am forced to move back NOB because TelMex cannot get their act together.

It is painfully evident that one of the reasons Carlos Slim became the richest man in the world is because he did not invest very much money in TelMex's infrastructure nor backbone.

I am in Chapala but I am also having the same problems with Telmex internet lately. It drops for a minute or two periodically throughout the day and was just out for 24 hours. At first I thought it was the modem but after getting yet another new one, it still drops. Usually it is electricity I am without so this is a change.

Funny. We are also in Chapala and have had no Telmex problems recently. Have you checked with your neighbors? You could have a neighborhood problem, or even a problem with your own connections.

My Internet has gone off around midnight or so for the past two nights. Other than that, during the day, not seeing any difficulties. I am in Riberas about two blocks from Mom's restaurant toward the lake.

Aquaponicsman, check and see if you have a Technicolor-brand modem. These regularly exhibit this drop-off behaviour, and need to be exchanged. (I had two in a row, both doing the same thing after a week.) Failing that, you should contact Mexico City tech support at the previously mentioned number, because overall there are currently no generalized problems in this area of which I am aware.

Huawei is the better brand right now, but it is still prone to damage... too bad, was hoping you'd say Technicolor. Just yesterday I had a gal who couldn't get onto her Chase site, no matter what we did. It would work one time only. She traded in her modem and now everything is hunky dorey. Anyway, just one option.

I just got this one on Monday which is when I found out it wasn't the old modem, I just didn't have internet. On the other 4 occasions it's been the substandard modems.

• 3 years later...

Entirely depends on where you are in Riberas. ComputerGuy is getting 40 mbps down close to Mom's. I'm getting 20 mbps down close to the 711. Depends on the house, the wiring and the street. But, in general, I'd say that's it's very much better than other areas.

The question Rackley asked specifically mentioned 2018, unless he changed it after the fact.

I would add that the closer to the lake in Riberas, and San Antonio, the worse the speed... generally speaking.

12 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

The question Rackley asked specifically mentioned 2018, unless he changed it after the fact.

I would add that the closer to the lake in Riberas, and San Antonio, the worse the speed... generally speaking.

You're right I didn't see that. It's a confusing thread if one starts at the top

Archived