Chapala.com Webboard

for canadians from ontario

Anyone from Ontario renew their driver's licence from Mexico? How did you manage it? The web site will not let us renew from Mexico.

TIA

I assume that you want to renew using an Ontario address. You might want to try using a Virtual Private Network (VPN) that will make it appear that you are on line from Canada. Not sure if there are any free services for Canada but you could try Strong VPN

http://www.strongvpn.com/

or

TunnelBear

https://www.tunnelbear.com/

Another way and easier for me is that you have to install a program called teamviewer in any pc from Canada, after that with the ID and pass you'll have remote acces and you can work from here, obviously you need somebody over there, if not they can do this for you.

When I was still living in Mexico (2000 - 2005 ) I was able to arrange a one- time- only extension of my renewal date to a time of the year that I would be returning to Ontario. Instead of a Dec renewal, it now is renewed every June. For those who like to live in Mexico in our winter months but come home in the summer, it worked well for me. Not sure this helps but .....

Another way and easier for me is that you have to install a program called teamviewer in any pc from Canada, after that with the ID and pass you'll have remote acces and you can work from here, obviously you need somebody over there, if not they can do this for you.

That's interesting - when I looked at the website it appears that you would be accessing a computer in Canada, from a computer in Mexico or anywhere else in the world. But it also seems that the Canadian based computer would need to be powered on all the time or a relative or friend would have to do this when you needed to use it.

See TeamViewer website: http://www.teamviewer.com/en/products/remotecontrol.aspx

?? I just renewed my Ontario driver's license on-line while sitting at my desk here Lakeside and did not have a problem at all. I am not using any IP spoofers or anything. I use an Ontario address (one of my kid's place) to receive mail for me and that is the addrerss I use for my driver's license.

My OHIP card expired at the same time but for that one you have to appear in person - so bye bye OHIP!!

This is your five-year Ontario LIcense? If that's the case, things certainly have changed, and that will make it a whole lot easier. But how do they get your photo, which has to be updated at the same time?

Yes, the five year renewal. No photo was requested. I did however get a new one issued within the past 2 years when I changed my address - if that makes any difference.

Quote from ontario.ca. "As of May 2013, you only need to renew the photo on your driver's licence every 10 years. If you need a new photo, you need to visit a ServiceOntario centre to have one taken." So yes, the've changed it from the previous 5-year requirement. However, obviously online is not possible when you do need that photo.

And: "You can get a one-time, temporary driver’s licence sent to you — valid for up to 6 months — if your driver’s licence is not cancelled or suspended."

Archived