Chapala.com Webboard

Magic Jack Plus

Haven't heard of that option, johnny b gone. We use MagicJack, and started with the older model before we left the U.S. We upgraded to MagicJack Plus when it became available (after moving to Lakeside) and we bought it off the MJ website and had it mailed to our Laredo address. I can't remember what the forwarding fee and duty was, but, amortized over the long time we've been using it, it wasn't much.

PM me if you'd like one brought down from the States this week or next. Two friends of mine are up there right now, one returns the 12th and the other on the 15th, and either could buy you one without the import duty. Last I knew Fry's Electronics had quit selling them but they were available from any CVS pharmacy and possibly Radio Shack.

Edit: Checked the Radio Shack website and they carry both MagicJackPlus 2014 for $49.99 and 6 months of service and the newer model MagicJackGo for $69.99 and 12 months of service. I doesn't appear that there is any difference in the two models but paying $20 more for 6 months of service isn't any bargain as it's 5 years for $100 when you need to renew or $20 a year.

Archived