Chapala.com Webboard

Is there a time limit for late night loud music?

I don't mean to sound like a smart ### but it's kinda like buying a house next to an airport then complaining about the flyovers. I know that sounds flippant but it really is the realty of Mexico. There is an expression relating to the lifestyle here..........para ruidosos, los españoles................'There's nobody like the Spaniards for being noisy'. Yeah there may be a law but enforcing it is another matter.

Guest bennie2

if they rent they can move. this is a weekend party place, so most hotels may be loud. if the people call police they have to remain anon.

I don't mean to sound like a smart ### but it's kinda like buying a house next to an airport then complaining about the flyovers. I know that sounds flippant but it really is the realty of Mexico. There is an expression relating to the lifestyle here..........para ruidosos, los españoles................'There's nobody like the Spaniards for being noisy'. Yeah there may be a law but enforcing it is another matter.

Keep in mind there are few zoning laws in Mexico; it's possible the hotel appeared after Texmextwo moved in. Or, more likely, that the hotel was a quiet little space that is now not-so-quiet. La Bodega in Ajijic wasn't always a music venue, now it is. Presto chango.

Yes there are new noise laws; and yes, enforcing them is indeed another matter at this time. The smoking laws took awhile to iron out and for the most part they are being obeyed. Maybe noise is the next frontier.

My Mexican friends and workers mostly think that noise should be abated on weekdays because they worry their kids don't get enough sleep and they too are tired when they have to go to work. But universally they agree that noise restrictions should NOT be in effect Fri and Sat nights or at holiday times. Maybe that's a flaw in the law, that it treats all noise on all days the same.

It depends on if they have an eventos permit. They need one for each late night event. This is often the way they enforce the noise laws, if a location is generating complaints, then they stop or slow down the permits. To operate without a permit is a big deal - three strikes and the business license is suspended. If they waste their permits selling beer and b.s. - then when a lucrative wedding or fiesta comes up, they may be out of luck. Of course this doesn't rule out payoffs, or the hotel posting lookouts, or paid staff insiders with cell phones, to warn if the inspector is coming.

Chapala is a very small, country town, but I can assure you the noise crackdown continues in the cities. I know of three clubs in Puerto Vallarta which have been forced to move. The new big expensive clubs all have engineered acoustic baffling -that is the only way to go.

Get some noise cancelling headphones and learn how to smile again.

For Lord´s sake! this is México, México is a warm Country! they do not die at 10 like USA !....this beautiful Country is not in war, Mexico does not need a curfew! Please! realize that you are in México!

Guest bennie2

worls best climate, mexico is a large country. there are many professional people who have careers, not everyone is hanging out all night having a party. your view is limited, & you underestimate mexicans. mexico is more than a vacation & party place.

When I read a post celebrating the noisiness of Mexico (as though the alternative would be joining the living dead) I wonder how the poster reached the opinion that this is a traditional part of living here. The question is: HOW noisy and from what source and at what hours?

It is one thing to not only tolerate, but enjoy hearing a weekend party with acoustic music from a live band, and quite another to have huge speakers blaring techno rock "music" late on a weeknight when most residents of any ethnicity would like to get enough sleep to function normally the next day.

I love music; particularly classical music, but I would not love having Mozart at a painful decibel level assaulting my senses at 2 a.m. on a Monday night. I, too, have things to do the next day as do my working neighbors and school kids. :angry:

Guest bennie2

some people dont know the difference between traditional music & the huge amps. maybe the poster who likes the noise has hearing problems? maybe for them it's muted? my neighbors never complained about anything. they had hearing aids & still couldnt hear me.

some people dont know the difference between traditional music & the huge amps. maybe the poster who likes the noise has hearing problems? maybe for them it's muted? my neighbors never complained about anything. they had hearing aids & still couldnt hear me.

Selective hearing?

This bears repeating. Some just can't seem to grasp that MEXICANS are tired of these offenders too.

Some people saw too many movies about a Mexico that may exist somewhere, but not here at lakeside. You know, the ones with big ranchos and horsemen and senoritas dancing with big skirts and off the shoulder blouses to the music of mariachis under the light of the moon......until all hours. Off-screen Mexicans have to go to work in the morning and/or get the kids off to school; all at an early hour.

("Juniors" from the city with fancy cars and buckets of dinero who come visiting our night clubs don't have to do anything the next day.)

To me, it's another one of those city versus country things. The cities are much noisier in every department, those residents are less sensitive to noise. The problem is they are now documenting the serious, and very real, health risks with long term exposure to noise pollution. Hence the new laws. Hence the debate on whether some noises, while passing legal limits, are cultural and should be preserved as heritage. When the people come here from the big city, they sort of get the feeling of lawlessness, sort of like visiting the "Porky's Roadhouse". Now the only people coming to Chapala for techno noise are definitely the low budget crowd. The ones into that scene are staying in Guadalajara or to Puerto Vallarta. These clubs, with at least two new ones last season, are huge and very expensive. Single tourist travelers are complaining on trip advisor that these clubs are not letting them in. Sort of like the old "Studio 54" of New York. A lot of 70's and 80's references, but I'm sure you get it!

One of the ones I don't get is cohete rockets. They are dangerous, environmentally toxic, and I believe are expensive. I understand the cultural part, but if it is remind of church services, they would be much better served with a home made bird scaring cannon, which is fired by a bottle of propane. An easy google, and just as loud as cohetes.

Ha ha - I built something like this vortex cannon when I was 10 years old!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrgTtZXuj4w

Guest bennie2

the good neigborhoods in guad dont put up w/the noise. not all mexicans are young laborers & shoot off rockets. this town is basically a workrs town, but even they have had enough. yes it is a low budget crowd who comes here on wkends for eventos. its also douteful that anyone is dancing in big skirts on ranches. and when they did, i bet they didnt use use amps.

. its also douteful that anyone is dancing in big skirts on ranches. and when they did, i bet they didnt use use amps.

When trumpets were added to Mariachi in the 1930's the legend goes that it was to make the sound better for radios, especially transistor radios. The Rolling Stones did the same thing mixing their "Exile on Main Street" album - it was to sound great on a cheap car radio.

The Tapatio ranchers liked their horses, their tequila, and their women -- in that order! The women had to you their skirts to get their attention.

Guest bennie2

chillin: trumpets & all- the music was muted & not blaring. a ranch 1/2 mile away wouldnt have heard it, or it would be backround. worldsbest climate: what are drinking? i want some. seems you only know this area? mexico is huge, also guad is huge, life doesnt begin & end between 6 corners & the plaza.

Most of us realize that we are indeed in Mexico.

We? Hookem,two days ago,you said in a post that you were living in a double wide in a trailer park in Texas and no longer lived in Mexico.

Guest bennie2

chillin, i dont doute john pint heard music one mile away. BUT, it must have been an important mex holiday. we are talking about constant disco wkend parties nonstop all night w/amps that are hard on the ears.