Chapala.com Webboard

Lens Scratches

I've been told over the years that nothing can be done. But I scratched a glass lens really badly once time when I ran into a closed sliding glass door. A friend used an electric buffing pad with jewelers rouge and almost removed all of it. Then he decided to get it perfect and the lens cracked from the heat of friction. You probably won't find a professional who would be willing to take the chance.

My watch crystal protrudes so it gets scratched often. I get the watch repair many across from the bus depot in Chapala to polish them out. I don't know if this would work for glasses.

The problem with removing a scratch from lenses is that the polishing process will actually change the refraction in that part of the lense. A watch crystal is a different case since any slight change in the refractivity of the crystal will probably be unnoticeable. Even if you can see a slight ripple it won't affect the usefulness.

The problem with removing a scratch from lenses is that the polishing process will actually change the refraction in that part of the lense. A watch crystal is a different case since any slight change in the refractivity of the crystal will probably be unnoticeable. Even if you can see a slight ripple it won't affect the usefulness.

I thought about the refractivity issue. When the lenses are created to your specific needs is that done from the inside, outside or both sides of the lens?

It involves both sides of the lens, the shape, thickness and relationship of one side to the other, as well as the density of the material from which the lens is made.

The thing that bugs me about my glasses is that I take really good care of them and use a cleaner that is specific for cleaning eyeglasses and yet over the last eighteen months they are growing increasingly cloudy. They are plastic lenses and at this point I will have another eye exam before I consider new lenses, but until I get around to that, does anyone have any suggestions for restoring the clarity?

On plastic, no. I've checked at home and here. So for my daily glasses I finally switched to glass. Heavier at first, but after 2.5 years not a scratch. (Note that I was told Kleenex is not good for plastic, as the micro-particles of wood will cause scratches; I use micro-fiber cloths from WalMart at 10 p.)

Maybe my next glasses should be glass. I guess I can adjust to the weight of glass easier then the fog of plastic! Thanks for the input; I have microfiber clothes; I will switch to them for cleaning and see if it helps clear things up.

There is a product that you use on car headlights with plastic lens. I have no idea what it would do on glasses but it works great on headlights.

When you decide that you are willing to buy new glasses, you can try it. One of the car detailing places will have some.

Ginger: Yeah I probably should look into that but these glasses have had multiple problems starting with one pair I have never been able to see out of and the other pair never fit properly. Every time I bend down I had to hold on to the glasses to keep them from falling off and they were continually sitting on the end of my nose. Very irritating. I did have them adjusted when I was home in Canada last summer and they were better but there was a limit to what they could do for me. Now I need a new eye exam; I just haven't gotten around to booking an appointment yet but it is probable that I will need a new prescription, and even if I don't I am going try again and this time buy glasses from one the places recommended on this board.

An option instead of repairing may be to order a new pair from Zenni Optical. I had been to 3 eye Doctors, and couldn't get a good exam. My prescription is easy, the Doctors not good. (I don't live Lakeside.) Got my scrip when I went to the U.S., went onlne and ordered. Took a month to arrive in the mail from Hong Kong! I didn't think that was too bad! The cost for 2 pairs was less than 100 USD.

Archived