Chapala.com Webboard

information on importing a car

I plan on driving to Texas next month to sell my J vin SUV Toyota and to buy a used replacement that will be allowed to license here.

Once I find a car that I like How do I legally drive it it back ?

Can I get it licensed at the border with Jalisco plates?

What papers will I need?

Does the Mexico office there accept VISA ?

Any info will be appreciated!

Thanks…..

May I suggest that you solve the problem the easy way: Take your J-car to the USA and sell it as planned. Then take a bus or plane back to Jalisco and buy your next car here. If you buy it from a dealer, they will take care of getting plates in your name and deliver the car to you, ready to drive. The new car dealers usually have two or three year old trades on the lot & they only keep the good ones, so you can get a warranty and a good feeling when you take delivery. They are easy to deal with.

Another option is S&S Motors, right here at Lakeside. They usually have several good choices on consignment and will also get it registered.

To import, nationalize and then spend a day in Guadalajara getting plates can be an expensive and unpleasant hassle.

Nissan and VW are the most popular models in Mexico.

Why import a US vehicle and not be able to get collision insurance or maybe even parts without waiting for them to be imported?

You will also avoid the problem of having to register and insure in the USA just to get back to Jalisco.

As reported on a PV board - Japanese auto dealers in Guadalajara can still import used J lettered V.I.N. In this case - a Toyota. They sold the vehicle to the dealer, who nationalized it, plated it, and sold it back to them. The only problem is that it was expensive, and they did not realize they also had to pay I.V.A. as well.

• 4 weeks later...

By the time you receive your Residente Permanente, you should already have solved that problem. If not, you will need to see Spencer (Intercasa) about getting a Retorno Seguro to drive the car out of Mexico.

Archived