Chapala.com Webboard

new rules for car nationalization?

Constance

Now, if only the costs would come down to nationalize. Tough to justify over 2 grand for an older car. However, driving it out is a hard option too, because with california plates, the only way to update registation is to do that IN California, obtaining a smog test!!

Now, if only the costs would come down to nationalize. Tough to justify over 2 grand for an older car. However, driving it out is a hard option too, because with california plates, the only way to update registation is to do that IN California, obtaining a smog test!!

Get S. Dakota plates.

Joco

How do you get S Dakota plates from here? Or are you suggesting turning the CA in for them in Dakota? That still requires driving in the U.S, with no current registration.

If you did not turn in your California plates you have been charged a yearly renewal fee since you still have them plus penalties for being late. You need to address this situation in California by either turning them in or paying a yearly fee of $9.00 US and declaring the vehicle is "non use" on your renewal form mailed to your residence there at that time. If ignored the yearly renewals and late fees can become hundreds or thousands of dollars.

Some have reported getting their many years of not paying registration renewals and late fees they had accrued by proving the vehicle was in Mexico on a TIP and were allowed to turn in their plates without paying.

Also in California now DMV requires a physical address, no PO box is accepted.

Sounds like a trip to California is needed even with nationalization! yike ! And all this with NO current registration! What about going to AZ and changing plates there? At least you´re not driving too far in the U.S. this way.

You or anyone do not need to take your vehicle, only your California plates to get released from the liability. I was away for a long time down here and had my car parked at my ex house in Mexicali and went through paying 2 years with a fee each year for being late. They asked why I did not simply fill out the "non use" part of the registration renewal form and pay the $9.00 US per year. I could not get out of paying several hundred dollars to them. If I had the car on a TIP I might have gotten out of paying.

Joco

How do you get S Dakota plates from here? Or are you suggesting turning the CA in for them in Dakota? That still requires driving in the U.S, with no current registration.

You have probably seen a lot of vehicles with S. Dakota plates here. There is one, only one, county in S. Dakota where you call and get the information. You will send them your title, they will re-title it to S. Dakota and send you their plates. It is not expensive. I think I paid with a bank card online.

Someone on here has the phone number you call. I don't have it right now. You don't need proof of insurance or an inspection sticker. You will need a U.S. address. I used a Mail Box Etc. Will Call Laredo TX. address and only paid for that one letter with the plates and title.

I don't get it, why would you want to switch from California plates to S. Dakota if you have a TIP. If you do have a TIP and also are now a Permanent Resident, the way I understand it is the TIP is invalid and you are required to Nationalize and get Mexican plates.

If you are less than Permanent and have a TIP why would you need to switch plates?

I don't get it, why would you want to switch from California plates to S. Dakota if you have a TIP. If you do have a TIP and also are now a Permanent Resident, the way I understand it is the TIP is invalid and you are required to Nationalize and get Mexican plates.

If you are less than Permanent and have a TIP why would you need to switch plates?

To import a vehicle you need might need current NOB registration. If it has expired it might not be posible to nationalize it. I forgot if it is required or not by some importers.

Sra. Diaz is exclusively working with UCD to nationalize vehicles. The UCD is a farmer's rights organisation with over 1.8 million members.They also have a programs for plates, so called paper plates. They used to be restricted for use in certain areas, but according to this press release they are no allowed all over Mexico - cost is 300 pesos per year.

Here is the article in Spanish - better than me trying to untangle a google translation:

http://www.oem.com.mx/diariodelsur/notas/n2383065.htm

Sra. Diaz is exclusively working with UCD to nationalize vehicles. The UCD is a farmer's rights organisation with over 1.8 million members.They also have a programs for plates, so called paper plates. They used to be restricted for use in certain areas, but according to this press release they are no allowed all over Mexico - cost is 300 pesos per year.

Here is the article in Spanish - better than me trying to untangle a google translation:

http://www.oem.com.mx/diariodelsur/notas/n2383065.htm

No, she isn't working exclusively with UCD or rather she nationalizes not only using UCD but she is the only person who is allowed to work with UCD.

She has a broker in Chihuahua who is nationalizing non-NAFTA vehicles. She is also nationalizing NAFTA vehicles and not going through UCD.

The UCD advantage is that it is less expensive.

Our J car was built in 2005.

Sonia posted this yesterday on SMACoollist:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/smacoollist/conversations/topics/29367

Sat Feb 8, 2014 6:26 am (PST) . Posted by: soniangel32 We can now nationalize 2006 and older non-NAFTA cars which is an increase of one year. For NAFTA made cars 2008 and older.
Have a great weekend!!
Sonia

Can Sonia facilitate UCD plates for Jalisco?

Contact her. I think you are supposed to only have UCD plates in states with a UCD but there are people with UCD plates in the area. You cannot drive with UCD plates in Guadalajara, MX City and some other large cities. As long as you stay out of the large cities and away from the police who might know the difference, you can probably drive anywhere else with them.

I think that once she nationalizes the vehicle with UCD you can get Jalisco plates or sometime thereafter.

I will do that. The article/link I sent in says the National Assembly voted to allow movement of UCD plated vehicles throughout Mexico. They are trying to make the first step to sort out this mess. The UCD says for now don't drink and drive, carry proper insurance, a current driver's license, and current UCD paperwork. The transitos should have the ability to check a vehicle's registration - the UCD is better than what they have now for foreign plated cars. I don't really have to worry about nationalization because we still carry temporary resident's TIP, but the UCD program is time limited, and I don't mind $25 U.S. per year. It's a good and just cause - the more vehicles they get under their wings, the more power they will have. It is also better than nothing if your vehicle gets stolen. The UCD has also made it clear that they welcome all income levels to participate in this, and their other programs.

Archived