Chapala.com Webboard

Ouch: HP brings Windows 7 'back by popular demand'

ComputerGuy

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2089403/ouch-hp-brings-windows-7-back-by-popular-demand.html#tk.nl_pcwbest

I've met a number of people who got Windows 8 with their new computer, but really wanted Windows 7 instead. I've been able to accomodate most of them, but there have been a couple of HP laptops that do not have drivers on their website to allow these machines to function fully with W7. Contacting HP verified that most of their new PCs will not support W7.

This seems to be changing. The story in the link explains how HP is offering new laptops with Windows 7, and even offering discounts for same.

So it may be possible to contact HP and see if perhaps those computers "locked out" before might now be eligible.

In the meantime, I have several tools that make W8 work a lot more like W7, in particular with a free START button that also allows you to bypass the "Modern" screen, and go right to the desktop, as well as skip the password requirement.

there is a way to skip the password requirement to open....I did it and I forgot it, :) but look how to do that in google...I found it there, if you google your problem, always internet gets you a way to fix it. I am waiting to feel inspiration and get rid of the store and start screen that I hate it....

Bob, Mac - 30 years old now, is no panacea. I've got approximately $5k worth of Mac equipment in storage that I'd gladly give you for a six pack. If you're in education (where they're cheap) or graphics where they're the standard yes, but in the real world? And, of course there is always Linux.

Been using Microsoft since '88. Hubby has an iPad and one son has a desktop Mac...hate 'em both (the computers I mean) . For me, using them is like milkin' a mouse. It just depends on what you're comfortable and familiar with.

there is a way to skip the password requirement to open....I did it and I forgot it, :) but look how to do that in google...I found it there, if you google your problem, always internet gets you a way to fix it. I am waiting to feel inspiration and get rid of the store and start screen that I hate it....

I recommend downloading and installing Classic Shell 4.0. Not only does it give you a START button again, but it auto-bypasses the login and Modern screens.

Been using Microsoft since '88. Hubby has an iPad and one son has a desktop Mac...hate 'em both (the computers I mean) . For me, using them is like milkin' a mouse. It just depends on what you're comfortable and familiar with.

Glad you clarified that one, lady...

Wouldn't it be nice, if WE, the consumers, got the option to buy what we want, and not what Microsoft, or anyone else for that matter, thinks we want??

If you really mean that you would probably like Linux. In the past several years "flavors" of Linux that are very user friendly have emerged. I use Ubuntu, Ubuntu is fast, stable, secure, can be easily and broadly customized and is distributed free of charge.

...and I have seen some new computers that runs ubuntu or linux instead of the traditional windows....

Linux variations are all great fun for those who are seriously into computers, but are not a good choice for the average Josephine who just wants to email and do some basic photo collecting and document writing. There is nothing in the world that you cannot get for a PC, whereas the specialized operating systems are very restricted in what is available, especially stuff that is compatible with PC programs.

Before the Linux gang comes down on me, remember I said in my first sentence for those who are seriously into computers. That is not my experience with the majority of the thousands of retirees here.

Archived