Chapala.com Webboard

This is big news in AZ, and is affecting those who considered traveling/retiring to Mexico

jkgourmet

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/national/4-dead-in-shootout-in-Rocky-Point-resort

I know most of you don't want to hear it, but I've had several people from AZ email me with this information, concerned we might be considering another trip "down there" next year. Whether the fear of Mexico is accurate or not, their FEELING of fear is there.

Ironically, the same page included an article about a drug lab bust in Goodyear, AZ, forcing the evacuation of several apartments.

I guess the devil you know is better than the one you do not know.

Oh well...........

Do the names Virginia Tech, Sandy Hook, Kileen, Fort Hood, Columbine, Washington Navy Yard, Aurora and Seal Beach ring a bell with your friends? You might warn them about the dangers of traveling to Virginia, Connecticut, Texas, Colorado, Washington D.C., and California.

Do the names Virginia Tech, Sandy Hook, Kileen, Fort Hood, Columbine, Washington Navy Yard, Aurora and Seal Beach ring a bell with your friends? You might warn them about the dangers of traveling to Virginia, Connecticut, Texas, Colorado, Washington D.C., and California.

Last I checked, Fort Hood was in Killeen, Texas. Certainly dead is dead, no matter where it happens. Being cut up, now that is a different can of worms. Imagine the pain before you die. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I lived in phoenix for two years before removing to Mexico. its dangerous there

quote from local newspaper

"With a crime rate of 47 per one thousand residents, Phoenix has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 21. Within Arizona, more than 85% of the communities have a lower crime rate than Phoenix.?

Phoenix has been suburbanized like the rest of America. The middle class are concentrated in the lower crime areas like Chandler, the poor are concentrated in Phoenix itself.

I visited my brother there recently, he lives in a place called Santan Valley and spend all his time driving to get to something.

Ugh!

Phoenix has been suburbanized like the rest of America. The middle class are concentrated in the lower crime areas like Chandler, the poor are concentrated in Phoenix itself.

I visited my brother there recently, he lives in a place called Santan Valley and spend all his time driving to get to something.

Ugh!

We lived in the Phoenix metro area for over 15 years and 5 years in Prescott. Many friends and family still live in Arizona and your comment of the poor are concentrated in Phoenix is not true. This is a large metropolitan area with many poor, middle and upper class living in Phoenix itself or the surrounding cities. Our family and friends will continue to visit Mexico as crimes occur everywhere. Some have second homes in Puerto Penasco as well.

There is certainly crime here, usually nonconfrontational, usually burglary, but sometimes violent. I know of three expats who were murdered in their homes--Ajijic, Riberas, and one of the fraccs on the libriemento. Some years I choose to have my family visit me at the beach. I drive over, pick them up at the airport, and rent a house. Some years I have not been comfortable having teens visit because they should be able to wander around, but they are from small towns and don't have street smarts. I had them visit in the past, but not for the last 3-4 years. I just tell them that this year we're going to the beach. Me? I love it here and I'm not leaving. I keep the gate locked at all times and bolt it at night. I've done everything I can to keep my perimeter safe. My house was robbed 8 years ago. Most of my friends have experienced a break in. I've lived in much more dangerous places around the world and I'm happy with the trade-offs that make my life here good.

The last time I was in Arizona about 15 years ago for our daughter's wedding, we were in Chandler. The morning after the wedding, we went to a "family style" nice restaurant and the shock of my visit was seeing how many people, women included, were packing guns.

Later, my son-in-law told us about how many road rage incidents he saw which included threats with firearms.

Thanks, I'll let the Arizonians have Arizona, for any number of reasons.

I know you meant well passing that article along, Jeanette, but I hope that fear doesn't prevent you from visiting your friends here in Mexico.

We lived in the Phoenix metro area for over 15 years and 5 years in Prescott. Many friends and family still live in Arizona and your comment of the poor are concentrated in Phoenix is not true. This is a large metropolitan area with many poor, middle and upper class living in Phoenix itself or the surrounding cities. Our family and friends will continue to visit Mexico as crimes occur everywhere. Some have second homes in Puerto Penasco as well.

I grew up in Phoenix and went to ASU. My middle class west side neighborhood is now a low income barrio. All you have to do is look at the population and income distribution statistics for the area and it is obvious that much of Phoenix is no longer middle class, particularly the near west side. I was just there and drove around a lot with my brother through all the places we knew when we grew up there. Believe me, you don't see those kinds of neighborhoods in the 'burbs.

And, my goodness, the sprawl. It has become Los Angeles with cactus. :)

I grew up in Phoenix and went to ASU. My middle class west side neighborhood is now a low income barrio. All you have to do is look at the population and income distribution statistics for the area and it is obvious that much of Phoenix is no longer middle class, particularly the near west side. I was just there and drove around a lot with my brother through all the places we knew when we grew up there. Believe me, you don't see those kinds of neighborhoods in the 'burbs.

And, my goodness, the sprawl. It has become Los Angeles with cactus. :)

Yes, the area has changed greatly over the time we lived there before moving here January 2011. The northwest Phoenix and North to North Central and North East Phoenix still is a lot of middle class. Many friends live in Moon Valley area and some single professionals live downtown in some of the newer high-rise lofts. Living there, you definitely need a car as it has grown tremendously…sprawl…you bet. We lived in Corona del Mar, CA before moving to Phoenix…now that area is jammed and overcrowded and overpriced. Lakeside is nice as we walk to most places…thankfully! ;)

Phoenix did one thing that was very smart. As the inner city neighborhoods went down they annexed large areas on the fringe so that they didn't suffer the fate of so many core cities and end up with only the less well off. I find that when I go there, I suffer real culture shock after living in an area that is so walkable.

I wish Mexico didn't just keep jacking up the price of gas but it will serve as a big disincentive for cities here to follow the U.S. down the path of suburban sprawl.

My two cents. I was born and raised in Phoenix. With exception of the time I spent in the service and three years I spent in Mesa, I have pretty much been here all along. Yes, the place has changed. I can sit in the mall for hours until I see a blond, blue eyed person. Most of my neighbors are from Mexico. Most don't have papers.

You pretty much have to speak Spanish to order fast food here. That is not a problem for me and the wife, but the kids never wanted to speak Spanish.

We do have crime here, but the people in the neighborhood look out for each other. We all know who the bad apples are.

Yes, we do carry guns; so better mind your manners. You don't see the rudness here that you see on the east coast.

And yes, we are looking forward to living in Mexico. We used to have a lot of family living there, but most have died off of old age.

Archived