Chapala.com Webboard

Village Newbie needs advice again re Village Dogs...

secheltsally

Walking by Tango's this afternoon I saw the most pathetic little white dog, maybe a Maltese? He (she?) was limping quite badly and had horrible matts everywhere, and some serious ones on his feet. I know those matts can pull and hurt. He was so dirty, but not hungry I don't think as I gave him a doggy treat I had just picked up and he was not interested.

I had my dog with me so couldn't give him much attention or proper inspection to see if his foot was injured but wondered if anyone knows this village dog and if there is any way of helping him. Such a sad little thing.

How do we deal with this? Just turn a blind eye and carry on? Stop and try to get him some help. I hesitate to get involved with anyone else's pet but really....what a life for this little dog.

What to do? I am still learning about Ajijic and how to live here.

Some of the dirty and matted dogs you see a strays but most belong to someone. Many villagers don't understand the consequence of mats on their dogs. And I've seen injured dogs that obviously have a broken leg still walking around with a slight limp months later. The bones will heal even if not straight but they will eventually be relatively OK. The influence of gringos is very evident at Lakeside in that many more Mexicans have their dog on a leash. It's amazing the progress being made in regard to animal treatment just in the last several years. And yes, there's not much you can do. The laws have changed recently with regard to animals: they can no longer be confined without water or shelter. Not that everyone obeys the law, at least the govt. is heading in the right direction. But interfering with someone's animal, no matter how well-meaning, is not lawful either. Sometimes you just have to walk away and cry.

Oh my...would it be appropriate to offer to take the dog to vet for grooming? Probably not. He was hopping on 3 legs but could put his paw down but then would limp. I would have had to do something if I didn't have my dog with me. He was a bit skittish when I offered him the treat. We need to try to educate the younger generation to be kinder to animals. I can't get that poor little fellow out of my mind.

Not the first scruffy one I've seen for sure but something about this guy was so pathetic. He was in pain I think. I'll go back tomorrow and see if I can see him but not sure what to do. I'll ask Memo if he knows this dog and anything about him. I think I've seen this dog before but he really looked like he wanted help today.

This is a tough country to be an animal. It is one of the real downsides to living here for us personally. We make sure to only adopt. You will be absolutely amazed at the quality of so many of the animals in the local shelters. Purebreds seem to get dumped almost as often as mutts.

That's so true as last visit I carried dog biscuits with me and none of the village dogs would have anything to do with them. Can hardly blame them if they are able to get to the butcher shop as I understand they throw some 'juicy goodies' out to the local dogs. I so hope that's true. This was one of those bacon things so I thought it might work but I just don't think this dog was hungry...just dirty, sad and in pain.

The poor animals of this world. At least (so far) I haven't seen any homeless or starving children in the streets here. Perhaps the next generation will treat the dogs better. I am heading home for Xmas but when I return (without my dog) i will try to help somehow so any suggestions would be appreciated. Must be something...

Come January it is going to get a WHOLE lot worse. The 17% tax on pet food is going to hurt everyone, but poor people and their pets will suffer most. Expect to see packs of abandoned wild dogs roaming the area and even more dumped dogs in subdivisions.

Archived