Chapala.com Webboard

What's Fun & Festive in December for Newcomer?

catalystrose

Greetings Everyone!

I'm hoping to move to Lake Chapala from San Diego in the next several months and will be there from 12/14-1/1 to check out housing, etc. Since i know no one there and it's Christmas, New year's Eve and my 60th birthday, i'd love to be in on some fun and festive community gatherings and events, private parties, potlucks, etc- which will also give me a chance to see what social life would be like as a single woman in a small town. I'm a vivacious, fun, youthful 59, free spirited type interested in many things, love the outdoors but holiday oriented things would be dancing, festivals, music and mostly just getting to know some folks there, and to gather as much info as i can about living and working in the area over a cup of coffee or walk.

I list some interests on my profile here plus i have an extensive website with photos and lots of info about me personally and professionally. Love to hear from you and to get to know you in the future!

Muchas Gracias~ Sophia Rose

I have sent you a PM also. For a first-timer who is used to north-of-the-border (NOB) activities, you might like a Christmas/Hannukah concert. Los Cantantes, a local choral group, cost is $250 pesos per ticket. They usually do songs in English, Spanish and other languages as well. The concerts are:

Tuesday, Dec. 10th 7pm
Wednesday, Dec. 11th 4pm
I also recommend the procession in San Antonio that is the search of Mary and Joseph for a place to stay. This involves Mary and Joseph walking around with a donkey, and they stop at about 6 houses with live indoor Christmas scenes that are lit when the procession arrives, and a children's group from the local school sings, asking for a place to stay. They end up at the church for mass. The door of the church posts the routes for each night, and generally someone posts on this board or in the Guadalajara Reporter as well.
On Christmas Eve, if you walk around the village of Ajijic, it is the custom for families to have their front doors open to welcome guests, and you can see their nativity scenes and Christmas trees inside the homes--a very heartwarming experience, and you can look into the big church on the plaza and see the decorations and of course, you can go to mass if you are so inclined.

Thanks much! What about New Year's Eve gatherings or events?

New Years Eve is pretty quiet here, though there are restaurants where you can buy tickets for New Years parties. I do not recall any community parties or events from last year. It was really rainy and cold last New Years eve and it was difficult to find a restaurant open unless you had reservations. I hope the area lives up to your expectations. Check out the events section of this web board and try and find a contact for the LCS singles group..... they may have an event.

The Christmas season is the beach season for many. Local events tend to eat up cash for those who stay behind and Christmas day and the following week are pretty quiet, even though Mexican kids may have to wait until Three Kings Day, in January, for gifts. Remember when getting an orange as a gift was something special? Guess when they are in season.

Archived