Chapala.com Webboard

More From Michoacán (in English)

More Liana

The self defence groups are inviting foreign journalists to come and visit their outposts and see for themselves. What is encouraging is to see foreign journalists getting reports out regarding what is happening. Seeing and hearing actual interviews with some of the leaders really helps. As mentioned in one of the articles, the government is no longer denying that there is a problem.

What bothers me is that some people insist that the situation in Michoacan is the fault of Presidente Peña. The L.A. Times article clearly states:

"Whether President Enrique Peña Nieto can reassert authority may prove the most serious test of his government's security policies. His predecessor, who made Michoacan a priority, failed."

I think this is a much more fair and accurate assessment of the situation in Michoacan.

So, Alex, what you are saying is that EPN is unable to reestablish authority in Michoacan and that is a major fault of his security administration?

I believe that Alex quoted the LATimes article as saying that.

Then whose fault is it that security and order is not being reestablished now in Michoacan, but progressively getting worse and worse? Doesn't EPN control the military that is not helping to eradicate the problems?

So, Alex, what you are saying is that EPN is unable to reestablish authority in Michoacan and that is a major fault of his security administration?

That is not at all what I am saying. As the Times article states, EPN has made a major commitment to solving the problem created by his predecessor. When he became the president less than a year ago, he inherited this problem due to the failed policies of the previous administration. And now. he is trying to fix it. In time, his policy may also fail. But to put the blame on EPN for the situation in Michoacan is a patently false accusation.

No one has blamed Presidente Peña for the situation in Michoacán.

Here's yet another article, this time in Spanish, that offers yet another point of view--a different point of view of the problem, and a different point of view for a possible solution.

http://www.quadratin.com.mx/justicia/Michoacan-peor-imposible-Raymundo-Riva-Palacio/

I do think it's important to note that a large percentage of what the federal government--and for that matter, the state government, the city governments, the town governments--say is fachada...window dressing, if you will, and will not and is not meant to bear fruit. It's meant to sound right.

Two supposed members of the cartel received in the Senate ?Who is capable to come up with a workable solution?

And in the meantime what are the residents of Michoacan suppose to do? Roll over and die?

There are 113 munucipalities in Michoacan. How many of them are run by the cartel?

Who is capable to come up with a workable solution?

And in the meantime what are the residents of Michoacan suppose to do? Roll over and die?

Grupo de Autodefensa seems to be the workable solution. I don't think you sit down at the table with these guys. The smart folks in Michoacan would be supporting the defense since the local authorities either can not or will not.

Good article from the "Modesto Bee", Modesto Calif. on Michoacan situation.

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2013/11/autodefensas-dr-mireles-california.html

It is a good article. You have to worry about this fella, he has really put himself out there.

What did people think of the Guadalajara Reporter article, this week? I noticed it did not include a statement from any member of the auto defence movement.

Many buried bodies have been exhumed along the Lerma River in Jalisco near the border of Michoacan.

A friend in the US sent this with the question--does the Mexican press report these events?

http://www.latimes.com/world/worldnow/la-fg-wn-mexico-mass-grave-20131125,0,7743678.story#axzz2ljU2wjIa

Archived