Chapala.com Webboard

Panache Hair Studio

Wookie

Well, ckelly, it appears you got a bargain because I was charged $1250 pesos for the same thing and my hair is very short. All I had in my purse was $1220 pesos and she said that would be fine (there were several people in the salon and it was a little embarrassing). Anyway, I told her that I was not expecting that much of a bill and that I did not have enough to pay nor was there anything for a tip .... so, I really needed to go over to the bank and get some more money. She insisted that $1220 was sufficient and since I fully agreed with her, I gave it to her and left. As you can see from above, I strongly recommended this hair dresser .... until I now don't. I wound up with the same thing happening as with other salons. The last time she cut my hair in all the wrong places and I came out with, once again, the thin spot not having enough hair left to cover it ... very, very disappointing. Plus, when I went in I told her that I had very much enjoyed the last hair cut and I was really enjoying having the fullness over my ears and around because it looked so much better than so short. She promptly cut every bit of fullness that had grown and I came out looking like Sponge Bob with a hole in the top. Never again. No excuse. I was the only customer there at the time.

Luke, that's disappointing news, I hope she doesn't price herself out of the market. So far I've been very happy with Theresa Marie, although I too have

noticed her costs inching higher.

The same thing happened with James Don salon,very reasonable in the early days, but I stopped going when I was charged the equivalent of $100 US. for a cut and a not very good coloring job. From now on I'll ask the price beforehand.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...

A friend of mine recommended this place so I tried to get an appointment and because I spoke perfect Spanish my appointment was declined. I obviously didn't know this at the time, so I went in person with my friend who's from Mexico and we encountered a very disappointing attitude, as soon as we asked the owner about pricing for colour and haircuts she said she doesn't work with "latin hair" as in she doesn't want Mexican clients. Very sad to see this coming from a Mexican business in Mexico! I am personally from Canada but because I speak good Spanish and was with my friend she treated us like we were leppers and then quoted a ridiculous amount so we wouldn't go... 750 pesos for a haircut and 5 thousand pesos for highlights. Please don't support these types of businesses, discrimination is not ok!

• Thanks 3

Thank you Brandol, what really discouraged us was her racist attitude towards her own community. A professional hairstylist knows that product brands are not designed "just for foreigners" this was clear discrimination. She said her products are only for foreigners not for "Latin hair". I found the same brand of products in other salons in Guadalajara that colour any type of hair. 

As foreigners we want to contribute something positive to the Mexican community during our stay and racism is unacceptable, it makes me very sad that in this day and age we are still witnessing this behaviour and coming from people of a discriminated race.

• Thanks 2

I have been her well satisfied customer for many years.  Yes she is well stocked with products for European hair which is weaker and thinner than that of Mexican ladies.  I have seen many Mexican ladies there.  We have frequent discussions about many people and she is the last person I would describe as discriminatory.  The products that you say are freely available in Guadalajara and are intended for ladies of all races are, I suggest to you, usually intended for the better-off ladies of Spanish descent.  Spanish is, as I described above, European.

This conversation is getting more and more racist...So what you're saying is only the European and Spanish decent ladies are well off? I have Very well off Latin friends that go to these salons and use these products on their beautiful hair and have never been told this.  In fact the owner of this establishment is extremely latina and has died her hair blonde with most definitely the products she sells...

2 hours ago, Danielle said:

This conversation is getting more and more racist...So what you're saying is only the European and Spanish decent ladies are well off? I have Very well off Latin friends that go to these salons and use these products on their beautiful hair and have never been told this.  In fact the owner of this establishment is extremely latina and has died her hair blonde with most definitely the products she sells...

OK, this is beginning to look like a troll. I know Panache, have used their services for years. Worth every penny, especially if you have problem hair. Best in a little community where we are lucky to have one so talented. She has lots of Mexican clients, so it makes me wonder what you said to get her so pissed off at you? But don't worry, I  am sure she would even take a troll as a client - she does enjoy a good challenge. My guess is you were either behaving badly when you spoke to her and now are lashing out to "get back";  or you just lost all your clients to her for all your lousy haircuts.....?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Neither one of us did anything to deserve the treatment we received which is why I am posting my review of our experience. Racism is not justified. If she's as lovely as you say it's a shame that's not the personality we encountered, we will be taking our business elsewhere and do not recommend this to anyone we know...period. I am not trolling anyone, I have the right to express my opinion just like anyone else does. If you only expect positive reviews then don't bother to look here.

Danielle, there appears to be 2 issues here. The first where you were shocked by her prices. Yes, she is expensive. Of course, she was also trained by, and is a very successful graduate of Vidal Sassoon. She then ran her own highly successful salon in the USA for decades before retiring and coming home to Mexico to care for her aging mother. I doubt any other local stylist's training comes even close to hers. The choice, of course,  will always be up to the individual what they are willing to pay. To use cars as an illustration, you may be perfectly happy to drive around in a Volkswagen beetle or you can choose to drive around in a Ferrari, or anywhere in between. That is entirely a matter of personal choice and budget. If her prices are too high for your budget or your sensibilities, then simply go somewhere else.

The second issue is your coming on this public forum to deliberately trash a reputation. This is very different from expressing shock at her prices. This owner happens to be very well known in this small community of ours. I have no doubt you are unhappy by your experience, but to continue to flog this dead horse casts doubt more on who you are than it does on the person you are attempting to trash. However, it is indeed a free country, so please do express your opinions as you wish. In my opinion, I will continue to use Panache as a very satisfied customer.

• Like 1