Chapala.com Webboard

Need Advise re having letter notorized in Ajijic

secheltsally

Have a problem and hope someone can advise me. I live in Canada and applied to have a live-in caregiver from the Philippines, we are in our 3rd year of waiting now. Of course the approval and her medical appt etc have finally come through and I am here in Ajijic till end of February.

She requires a letter saying that I am still wanting/needing her and can afford her wages. This is a follow up from my original application. The agency I used has written up the letter to email to her and the embassy but....

It requires my signature and my husband's and must be notarized. No problem for him as he is in Canada but I am not sure how to do this here. We did talk to a lawyer in Canada and he suggested I go to the Canadian Embassy for this but I am not wanting to go all the way to Guadalajara unless there is no other way.

We thought perhaps we could just do this letter in my husband's name alone but I have concerns as I am listed as the employer on the application and the person needing care. I don't want to cause any delay or red flags at this point after such a long wait to even get to this point.

I'm worried that even having this done here will somehow red flag or cause delay. Perhaps the trip to Guadalajara is the best and safest option? Or???

I've had such good luck with this web board before so fingers crossed someone can help/advise...

Yvonne Jensen is a US notary. 766-2031. She can explain her service to you.

Sigh there are no LEGAL U.S. Notaries other than the U.S. government here . US Notaries are licensed by the state and except for certain situation they cannot sign in another state no less another country. If a state notary is signing down here it probably is not legal and could bite you back in a legal case. I doubt if the Notary would swear that the signature occurred in Mexico. I bet it says she signed it in her licensed state cause she is not legal in Mexico and would probably lose his/her notary stamp if the state knew. My info comes from my wife who was a Public Notary, Mobile Notary, Real Estate broker and a Lawyer in the United States. Sorry but we get tired of this.

Sigh there are no LEGAL U.S. Notaries other than the U.S. government here . US Notaries are licensed by the state and except for certain situation they cannot sign in another state no less another country. If a state notary is signing down here it probably is not legal and could bite you back in a legal case. I doubt if the Notary would swear that the signature occurred in Mexico. I bet it says she signed it in her licensed state cause she is not legal in Mexico and would probably lose his/her notary stamp if the state knew. My info comes from my wife who was a Public Notary, Mobile Notary, Real Estate broker and a Lawyer in the United States. Sorry but we get tired of this.

Give it up. You will have to explain it every time someone asks about notaries. It doesn't stick.

A Mexican Notario is perfectly legal. A US notary is not, unless you are physically in that jurisdiction. If challenged, the US notary loses, but you could lose more for committing fraud. Use the Mexican Notario. There are treaties that cover you and them.

A Mexican Notario is perfectly legal. A US notary is not, unless you are physically in that jurisdiction. If challenged, the US notary loses, but you could lose more for committing fraud. Use the Mexican Notario. There are treaties that cover you and them.

I agree, problem is Banks/others up north don't always cooperate but sometimes they do with a Mexican Notary. It might be legal but if the bank is stubborn and gee whiz many are it can be a catch 22 sometimes.

Give it up. You will have to explain it every time someone asks about notaries. It doesn't stick.

Yea but people could get in big trouble doing this. Let say you sign a will down here using an out of Country Notary. You die and one family member notices the will was signed in California according to the papers but he/she knew you were in Mexico at that time. One dead will and now the state will decide cause the will might be worthless. We won't even talk about the fraud issue especially for the Notary. Signing outside of your state kinda defeats the purpose of a notary. Being a notary you are suppose to be honest to the max. We were others are obviously not.

Yea but people could get in big trouble doing this. Let say you sign a will down here using an out of Country Notary. You die and one family member notices the will was signed in California according to the papers but he/she knew you were in Mexico at that time. One dead will and now the state will decide cause the will might be worthless. We won't even talk about the fraud issue especially for the Notary. Signing outside of your state kinda defeats the purpose of a notary. Being a notary you are suppose to be honest to the max. We were others are obviously not.

I was selling property in the US and needed to have my signature notorized. I had Yvonne notorize my signature and sent it back to the broker. Spent half a day and a few bucks and it was done. Money from the sale was wired to me in a few days.

Was it 100 % legal? Probably not, but my US Attorney said don't worry about it. She is only notarizing that I sign the document in front of her and it will only become an issue if there's a big lawsuit about me (or some else)claiming I didn't sign the document

Thanks for all the suggestions and info. This is a simple document stating that we are still wanting the Nanny and our financial circumstances have not changed since our first application 2 1/2 years ago. I'm just apprehensive that anything out of the ordinary will red flag our file and put it to the bottom of the list again. I'm going to make a few calls...thanks guys!!

Archived