Chapala.com Webboard

Residente Permanente

johnny b gone

There is no lawful requirement to apply for a visa at a Consulate in your “home” country. You can apply at ANY Mexican consulate of your choice that is convenient to where you are.  I am permanenté, live in Vallarta and am Canadian.  When I applied 6 weeks ago it was in Las Vegas. Fingerprints are now done in Vallarta and advised my card will be ready for pick up on 1st December .... less than 2 months from start to finish.  Friends also Canadian have applied in Dallas, San Diego, Miami and Guatamala City. You can call the Consulate of your choice and confirm requirements and eligibility which I did. 

Very easy to do on your own.  If you are not comfortable filling out the initial form online, then go to the papeleria in San Antonio, next door to Marios (she charges around 150 pesos) and she will fill out the form, provide you the form you need to take to the bank for payment, do the photocopies you require (1 blk and white copy of your passport page, 1 blk ad white copy of the visa given to you in Albequerque(the one they put in your passport), 2 copies of the bank receipt once you have made payment .  You then take all that to INM in Chapala, along with the original of your FMM form you presented at the airport.  About 2 weeks later you will receive an email that says "se emitio oficio"  and at that point you go in with your photos and you will get fingerprinted and about 10 days later your card will be ready.  Very simple process..

On 11/20/2017 at 5:02 PM, John-in-Vallarta said:

There is no lawful requirement to apply for a visa at a Consulate in your “home” country. You can apply at ANY Mexican consulate of your choice that is convenient to where you are.  I am permanenté, live in Vallarta and am Canadian.  When I applied 6 weeks ago it was in Las Vegas. Fingerprints are now done in Vallarta and advised my card will be ready for pick up on 1st December .... less than 2 months from start to finish.  Friends also Canadian have applied in Dallas, San Diego, Miami and Guatamala City. You can call the Consulate of your choice and confirm requirements and eligibility which I did. 

Not true. The law states you must apply in a country in which you legally reside. There are a few exceptions and the two I know of based on clients experiences are Las Vegas and Laredo but they are not following the law. Many consulates use these words: 

Chicago MX consulate: Document that proves that the applicant is a foreign legal resident of the USA (I-797, I-20 advance parole, etc.). This applies for non-US citizens.

Dallas MX consulate:  I-94 or ESTA (if applicable) Advance Parole, signed I-20 or signed I-797

Miami MX consulate: Original y copia del documento que acredite su legal estancia, si la persona extranjera no es nacional del país donde solicita la visa.

And now some brilliant person will have an exception without quoting the law nor knowing where to find it and limited experience in processing visas vs a very few such as Spencer and me process visas literally daily. And again some copy and paste genius will say... "and I know"

• 2 weeks later...

Sonia, we chatted again with 2 consulate offices and they were puzzled by your mentioning “the law” ,,,, and reiterated we can apply at ANY Consultate as per the Government IMN website which I was provided the weblink and an English summary: apply "In person : at any of the 148 consular offices that Mexico has abroad."  

https://www.gob.mx/tramites/ficha/visa-de-residencia-permanente/SRE236

Opciones para realizar tu trámite

Cita en línea: Ingresa aquí.

Presencial: en cualquiera de las 148 Oficinas Consulares que México tiene en el exterior. Para conocer su ubicación y horarios de atención es necesario que ingreses aquí.

Embassy is different from Immigration which you know - and language on an Embassy website is intended to “speak” to people that may be in a specific country - but IMN itself excepts applications for visas as stated on the IMN website.

i am dismayed you mentioned “it’s the law” post o go to the country of ? What birth? residency? just what do you mean.? Please provide a weblink to the ACT and Regulation that states this ... as the IMN website does not.

i reiterate we and friends have obtained our Residente Petmanente at a Consultate of our choosing.  

6 hours ago, John-in-Vallarta said:

Sonia, we chatted again with 2 consulate offices and they were puzzled by your mentioning “the law” ,,,, and reiterated we can apply at ANY Consultate as per the Government IMN website which I was provided the weblink and an English summary: apply "In person : at any of the 148 consular offices that Mexico has abroad."  

Opciones para realizar tu trámite

Cita en línea: Ingresa aquí.

Presencial: en cualquiera de las 148 Oficinas Consulares que México tiene en el exterior. Para conocer su ubicación y horarios de atención es necesario que ingreses aquí.

Embassy is different from Immigration which you know - and language on an Embassy website is intended to “speak” to people that may be in a specific country - but IMN itself excepts applications for visas as stated on the IMN website.

i am dismayed you mentioned “it’s the law” post o go to the country of ? What birth? residency? just what do you mean.? Please provide a weblink to the ACT and Regulation that states this ... as the IMN website does not.

i reiterate we and friends have obtained our Residente Petmanente at a Consultate of our choosing.  

https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/montreal/index.php/en/foreigners/visa/278-visa-permanent-resident

Foreigners who wish to remain in Mexico indefinitely may apply in person for a Permanent Resident Visa at the Consular Office closest to their place of residence. [ Legal Residents it appears not people on a tourist card - read below]

Requirements:

1. Visa application form printed on one page, double sided properly completed and signed.
  2. Passport or valid travel and identity document, original and a photocopy of the page containing the photograph and personal data.
  3. Original and a photocopy of the migratory document accrediting the legal stay in Canada (only for applicants who are not Canadian citizens)."

According to Montreal´s  Mx. Consulate only Canadians and legal residents of Canada can apply for a Mexican Resident visa there. I have seen his around the world. My friend can´t apply in Manilla. Phillipines at the Mx. Embassy because he is on a tourist visa there. He has to return to the USA to apply.

It is in the 2011 SEGOB  INM law and on the SEGOB  INM website below;

Google Translation:

"Secretary of Foreign Relations

Permanent residence visa

It helps you to travel to Mexico, to present yourself in authorized places for international transit of people and your purpose is to remain indefinitely in the country.

Necessary documents

Required document Presentation

Visa application form

Original

Valid Passport or Identity Document and Travel in accordance with international law

Original and Copy

1 Photograph

Document proving your economic solvency

Original

Document proving your legal stay (applies if you are not a national of the country where you apply for the visa)

Notes:

It is necessary that you consult with the Consular Office of Mexico of your preference the options that you have to prove the economic solvency and your legal stay (in the cases that correspond).

All documents must be legible, without deletion or amendment.

The photograph must be recent with a maximum of 6 months old, with visible face and without glasses, in color, passport size, whose measurements must be at least 32.0 mm x 26.0 mm and a maximum of 39.0 mm x 31.0 mm, with a background white and front.

It is an essential requirement that you present proof of the corresponding payment of fees, consult with the Consular Office of Mexico abroad to know where to do it."

You actually copied the bottom part of the same page as I  have above but left out the top part. So you seem to have missed the part about being a citizen or legal resident of the country you can apply at a MX. Consulate for a RT or RP 6 month preapproved visa to be pasted into your passport. So the INM website does specfically state what Sonia stated and you were on the correct INM page but missed it.

More Canadian friends coming back from Sacramento that were in Mexico on a tourist Visa flew down to Sacramento and now returning to Mexico on a Temporal Visa. None of us (including me) were in Canada and flew to the USA.  All of us were in Mexico (living as it were) on Tourist Visa’s or living elsewhere then flew to the USA to a Consulatate of our choice and came back to Mexico with Permanente or Temporal.  One person had not been to Canada in 2 years, others were all “well over” 180 day tourist card ? in Mexico and some of us in Mexico within the 180 days.

In Vallarta a friend at XXX said we should have applied under the amnesty program as it is or was still available.  Maybe. But everyone of  us now has a Visa without having to return to Canada or other countries they came from.  

4 hours ago, El Saltos said:

There is no consistency between Consulates and few of them follow the immigration laws on the books.  So, you may luck out at one but not another.

As with all things else in Mexico, I am betting that the above statement is what counts, law or no law ~

• 1 month later...

It is hard to believe how quick everything happened in CDMX !!

1)  We visited INM just before closing on Dec 11, and handed in all the papers and proof of payment

2)  At 7:00 pm the SAME DAY we got an email that we were approved for residente permanente

3)  We had travel plans, so couldn't act on the approval until Jan 17 when we went back to be fingerprinted -- no appointment required

4)  We picked up the green card Jan 18

Had we acted on the original approval instead of traveling for about a month, the entire process would have taken three days from beginning to end

Really !

12 hours ago, sectorbets said:

It is hard to believe how quick everything happened in CDMX !!

.........Had we acted on the original approval instead of traveling for about a month, the entire process would have taken three days from beginning to end

Really !

Ha! Amazing even in Mexico City! Good for you!

You've just made a lot of hand-wringing foreigners out in the provinces....and beyond....a little bit jealous. :lol:

Archived