Chapala.com Webboard

Residente Permanente

johnny b gone

Tourists, with an FMM tourist permit, must leave Mexico within the 180 day period and can only apply for a residence visa, either temporal or permanente, at a Mexican consulate in their home country. It cannot be done in Mexico.

There are many factors

3 groups, one who have a 3 or 4 and don't need financials, others who need financials and others who submitted to Guadalajara. Guadalajara was giving people a hard time at the beginning of the year and then later started approving people and doing it in a few weeks not months as Chapala got busy. It is a roll of the dice as Chapala is still behind and Guadalajara is lagging as well as placing some strange conditions.

Applied for permanente (prorroga 4) on July 29th, fingerprinted August 30th, card was ready for pickup on September 23rd. Did it ourselves.

Not fair! I applied for permanente on July 11. I was fingerprinted on Sept. 23rd. and am still waiting for pickup. I also did it myself with no financials involved.

Floradude, go to the INM office in Chapala and check to see if they have your card. No notice of mine being there appeared on the INM website, but since I was in Chapala on Wednesday, I stopped by and, sure enough they had it. When the clerk brought out a list of cards that were ready, it appeared that only about 50% of them had been picked up. So yours might be there, too!

My application for a permanent visa was not accepted today at the Embassy of Mexico in Canada. I was prepared with all documentation: Passport, Visa Residente Temporal, Application, Financials & Photographs. I was politely & surprisingly informed that if my existing visa had not yet expired, that my application was only acceptable in Mexico. No other explanation was offered.

Over the course of the last 4 weeks I have spoken on 4 occasions on the telephone with Immigration Services within the Embassy of Mexico in Ottawa, Canada.

In each conversation, I related that I held a Visa Residente Temporal, that due to the very long & unpredictable wait times with-in our part of Mexico for a Visa Residente Permenante, that I wished to make application from Canada with my 12 months Financial Statements as a retiree. At no point in any conversation was I informed that my application could not proceed.

The information you received is correct. As a Residente Temporal, you are expected to be in Mexico and to apply at the appropriate time, at your nearest INM office, when you have completed four years as Temporal and are within 30 days of expiration. You will then be eligible to apply for Residente Permanente without the need to prove financials, etc.

Only those without visas may apply in their home country.

I was in Spencer's office yesterday, talking to Denise. She said for some reason it is taking longer here to process permanente. She didn't know why. I suspect it might be because there is such a concentration of foreigners here who need to be "processed." Seems like a catch-22 situation since it appears you have to prove residence in the state where you live and apply in that state. Otherwise, we could go to another and it would be over more quickly. What a concept!

• 4 years later...

Wow, what a minefield.

I received my temporal visa in my passport today at the Mexican Consulate here in Albuquerque. It was not as hard as I expected but I realize that is only the first step. 

Would it be easier to go to the INM office in Guadalajara or in Chapala - I will probably be settling in the Chapala area but I just wondered, since both are in Jalisco, which is likely to be less of a hassle? I know that in either case, this has to be done within 30 days of my entry to Mexico on Nov. 21. Does anyone know?

Many thanks!

44 minutes ago, Margo Morado said:

Wow, what a minefield.

I received my temporal visa in my passport today at the Mexican Consulate here in Albuquerque. It was not as hard as I expected but I realize that is only the first step. 

Would it be easier to go to the INM office in Guadalajara or in Chapala - I will probably be settling in the Chapala area but I just wondered, since both are in Jalisco, which is likely to be less of a hassle? I know that in either case, this has to be done within 30 days of my entry to Mexico on Nov. 21. Does anyone know?

Many thanks!

You are responding to a thread 4 years old.

Chapala will be fine, if not required. MANY have done it there and without facilitators. That office has many Temporals 'under their belt'. If, as a newbie, you aren't comfortable doing it yourself you can get Spencer McMullen (the lawyer to whom you have been referred) to help for a fee.

Archived