Chapala.com Webboard

Advice wanted for new building project

We will soon be wanting to build onto our house in a month or so once the dry season sets in for sure,

We want to build two bedrooms upstairs and a mirador. To avoid contractor fees, we have already been advised by friends to find an architect, preferably a younger one fresh out of college or so to draw up the planos or blue prints and then hire some albaniles or brickmasons to do the job. We were told that the architect could even probably figure in the costs of materials and such.

Once the blue prints are ready, we could just hire some albaniles to do the work. If it helps to know, we speak fluent Spanish, so will be able to talk to the brickmasons.

Has anybody tried this method and does anybody know an architect that would just draw up the plans without demanding to do the job?

Thanks to any and all that respond.

Not the same area .... but when I went for Permits there was an engineer on staff that did my plans from a napkin sketch for 800 pesos.

Caution about additions. I presented plans for the whole house with just one room addition and they charged me for the whole structure.

Without dealing with a contractor you are responsible for IMSS. Don't get caught on that one

Will the current structure support your planned addition?

I have seen many people try to "save money" and the results have been diastrous.. A "young architect just out of school" knows very little. It sounds like you are unfamiliar with all aspects of this venture. A position that almost guarantees dissatisfaction.

IMSS is following up on every permit, since the onset of computers, and can be confusing & difficult & expensive.

I make the above comments based on ten years(26 projects) managing Lakeside construction.

Bourbonman, yes you make a very compelling argument especially in regards to IMSS. We will wait to hear a few more comments and potential counter arguments........but yes, a contractor sounds like the right direction. The thing is, is that we have already been partially burnt by a contractor out of Ixtlahuacan (not naming any names) who turned out to have a problem with the caguamas (cerveza) and quit on us at the very end of our last project. Nearly all of the project was finished (gracias a Dios) minus a few small details and the 500 pesos we gave him to purchase the surplies to finish these details. But we came out winning (I guess...) due to the fact that he left most of his tools, ladders, and equipment to never show his face again. But we are a little weary of contractors right now, but I guess we should be even more weary of jumping in over our heads....

So what are the best contractors in the area in regards to honesty, professionalism and economical?

Gustavo has done renovations for me on old buildings as well as building my new home. He has an excellent reputation. He has come in at or under his quotes on every job so far. He has built hundreds of homes so can advise you on materials etc. He speaks English cel--- 333-157-3048

Archived