Chapala.com Webboard

Classifieds in Use?

There seem to be lot of messages that are solely to sell things .... are the classifieds on this site not the favoured place to sell anymore? If not, maybe there should be a section for sale/wanted items on the forum ... easier just to post and upload pics in a post rather than having to go through the process of placing an ad? It would be easier to find things if the posts weren't intermingled with all others ... or should the classifieds be kept as the place to advertise?

No one says you have to open them. They're easily to identify. Just move on to the next topic.

The classifieds don't work. Simple as that and adding another section just makes them invisible.

Many people are leaving and others need the advertising for charity sales. Are they really that big a bother to you?

I too have been wondering about the clutter on the web board from people selling things - yes, it is a nuisance. There are free classifieds on this site http://www.e-classifieds.chapala.com/ I have used them and they work. And the topics are not always obvious, so you click in to the post and then find out it's just a list of stuff for sale. There are so many For Sale items now that one must scroll past, to get to any real discussions. Although I have noted over the years, that the quality of discussions on this board seems to to have declined. Sigh.

Actually, I dislike the Classifieds. Finding a new topic on items for sale is much more attention grabbing. I would see great value in creating a forum specifically for selling/buying. I also see excellent worth in a separate PETS forum. Some weeks this forum is bombarded with requests for help.

I prefer it just the way it is. I got my dog, Winky through an ad here & I never would have looked in a separate forum as I hardly had a need for another pooch. I also like the items in this forum for sale or wanted because the Classified section is not always up-to-date & many don't know about it. If you start splintering into too many forums such as Pets, Classifieds or maybe even Computer stuff you'll dilute what makes this forum work.

Geeze, how hard is it to scroll???

I understand that there are currently a lot of items for sale in the forum, but they are easy to scroll past if not interested. have found that, unlike the classified section; however quick questions & answers about things for sale is way more efficient here in the forum. I always check the classifieds before I come here, but find I get a quicker response to questions (about the items) here in the forum, as well as additional valuable input or feedback from others, etc. Also, I cannot use my regular user name & password for the classifieds. I had registered there years ago but can't remember my password, and cannot seem to get in or have my password sent to me. I'll work with it either way, but will miss the discussion about items for sale here in the forum.

Sure, I understand, but I could say the same for the now-missing discussions on Customs and immigration, the kitchen, and so on. One learns pretty quickly, actually, to click VIEW NEW CONTENT when getting into the board. Then it doesn't matter which forum an item is posted in, because you see all the new posts. In particular I like this because I get to see David' latest photos from Tabarka, as I would normally not check into the Lakeside Restaurants forum.

Well, this has now been pinned to the top of the page:

Posted Today, 10:01 AM

As of today no more items for sale are permitted to be posted on the board, please use our classified section, it was made specifically for this purpose. Offenders will be banned from using this board.
Was this really necessary?

Sure, I understand, but I could say the same for the now-missing discussions on Customs and immigration, the kitchen, and so on. One learns pretty quickly, actually, to click VIEW NEW CONTENT when getting into the board. Then it doesn't matter which forum an item is posted in, because you see all the new posts. In particular I like this because I get to see David' latest photos from Tabarka, as I would normally not check into the Lakeside Restaurants forum.

I'd never noticed that option before, so ... thanks! :)

I agree with many others, this is the only forum that I view and I definitely will miss the items for sale, garage sales and estate sales that are advertised here. I guess it is just another way to run people off.

Then we should also have a section for computer problems and stop people from posting them here so you can flog your service.

The moderators were not part of this decision.

However, we were aware that the owner of this webboard has been concerned about the increased bandwidth being absorbed here. That bandwidth is a large factor in the costs the owner pays to host this site. And how many of you have posted to complain about the slow load times and being unable to get into the webboard? That's what happens when the bandwidth is overloaded.

Don't blame the OP of this thread for this decision (and the name calling was TOTALLY unnecessary). Blame those who are selling stuff who continued to bump their posts to get their stuff sold. Blame those who post "what a cute puppy, wish I could adopt him" in an effort to get the original post bumped. Blame those who used this webboard to advertise their commercial, for profit businesses.

All of those actions may be an bondafide effort to help animals or our neighbors in a difficult situation; however, when it became pervasive and abusive, the owner of this webboard stepped in to take action.

Archived