Chapala.com Webboard

Does "Dependiente Economica" still exist for Permanentes?

For the last ten years I have been listed as an "economic dependent" of my husband on our FM-3s and Noinmigrante cards as that's what the consulate in the states started us as. I had planned to change this status at the next renewal, which as it turns out now, is for a permanent visa. I definitely don't want to do anything that could slow down the renewal process. I don't even know if this status still exists. Does anyone have any information about this? And on another note, would the process go faster if we started it in Guadalajara rather than Chapala? BTW, I have a proroga "4" on my card.

Thanks.

Under the new rules, you are entitled to the same status as your spouse. No financials needed & you have to become Permanente now, so go for it. We just found out that our Residente Permanente cards are ready today. :)

No, she does not have to change her status, but she is entitled to do so, if she wishes. She may own and drive a US plated car as a tourist, or as a Residente Temporal. I think you may drive it if she is in the car; otherwise, I have my doubts that you should try it alone. Be sure the car is titled in her name and the Importada Temporal is in her name, not yours if you are Residente Permanente.

Well, our cards were not ready Tuesday, in spite of what the online status reported. Spencer said he would check again today.

So, we are still waiting.

Incorrect. As her spouse, I can drive the car and she does not have to be in it.

The car is titled in both names. They had no problem giving her a TIP at Pharr. She is just as entitled to get a TIP for it as I used to be.

The rules are bad enough, we don't need to encourage them to make more of them up.

Thanks for answering the question, she'll use Temporal for four years and then we'll decide what to do from there.

I simply expressed doubt because of the local transitos, who may be anxious to see your generous side and claime differently. Technically, you are probeably right, as even a Mexican spouse of an expat can drive such a car, but had better have marriage certificate and a copy of the applicable rule. I sugges the same in your case.

Archived