Chapala.com Webboard

How many days to receive money?

Bancomer clears my checks in about six days. No reason for 42 days anymore in my opinion. I sure Actinver will give you a dandy reason for

keeping your money and using it for 42 days to make money. Not trying to be a wiseguy but it 2013 not 1990. Could second party checks be

treated differently or something like that? My NOB BOA checks are normally written to myself. Maybe I don't know something...

We'll roger Intercam, has worked well for years. Intercam is next door to the Oxxo in Ajijic. You will need to fill out some paper work and will be allowed to cash the first check in a few days. After you have an account with Intercam you just write a check on your US bank and they will cash it immediately and at a much better rate than Actviners.

I found a much better way to get money to Actinver, I simply wire the money. How do I wire money? I simply phone either my ML stock broker or my B of A personal banker up North (Seattle) and ask them to wire funds to Actinver's Concord, California, Bank of America account. Twelve days ago, when I transferred funds, I phoned my Seattle banker and emailed him wire transfer instructions, I waited 2 or 3 days until the money was in the hands of my Ajijic, Actinver Broker/person. He immediately transferred some of the funds into a joint bank account held by me and my property manager. The old balance was almost zero until the funds were transferred to that account. My property manager was able to immediately draw out however much money she needed.

Where was I making the phone calls from? This time from a condo in Seattle. I could have done it from here in Ajijic as well.

Oh and when I signed up for Actinver's predecessor, Lloyd's, in 1997, I was told about needing sufficient funds in my account to cash a check. I have followed that rule and never have to wait 42 days (yes, I have a small brokerage account with Actinver so that I always have sufficient funds to allow instant cashing of a check)

Again, you don't have to wait 42 days when you wire funds.

Bancomer says my check did not clear. I have three charges amounting to nearly $40 USD. My bank in USA says they have no record of ever having received a check. Now Bancomer is telling me it will be several weeks to get a report on the check. This is the first problem of this sort I have encountered with Bancomer. Sounds like it may be time to open an account with Intercam. I pay my rent in pesos, so need a lot of cash on hand.

Bancomer says my check did not clear. I have three charges amounting to nearly $40 USD. My bank in USA says they have no record of ever having received a check. Now Bancomer is telling me it will be several weeks to get a report on the check. This is the first problem of this sort I have encountered with Bancomer. Sounds like it may be time to open an account with Intercam. I pay my rent in pesos, so need a lot of cash on hand.

If it was a third party check written on a third party bank your bank will not have received a request to cash it. Bancomer would have sent that request to the third party bank

I would be getting in touch with whomever wrote that check to you and asking what the h is going on. Let them sort it out. Have them get the money to you + expenses. Have you considered using PayPal? Or Western Union? Don't necessarily blame Bancomer the problem is probably with the check.

If you have a smart phone and an app from a bank that does this (my bank is RBC in the US) , you can deposit the cheque by taking a picture of the front and back of it. You will immediately get an email saying the request has been received. About 2 hours later, you will get an email saying the deposit has cleared and you can tear up the cheque. Then you can do as you wish with the funds - including going to an ATM and withdrawing pesos. I also have an account with Intercam but, though the cash is given to you right away, the cheque doesn't show up as cleared in your account for about a week. I forgot once, assumed I had more money than I did, and didn't have sufficient funds to cover the withdrawal I had made the week before (duh!) by the time the cheque cleared. The fees for writing the NSF cheque came to about $90.00!! Lesson learned! I will never do that again but it hurt at the time!!

What wonderful technology there is NOB. All the benefits there while living here. How would we survive without them? Life is hard.

I found a much better way to get money to Actinver, I simply wire the money. How do I wire money? I simply phone either my ML stock broker or my B of A personal banker up North (Seattle) and ask them to wire funds to Actinver's Concord, California, Bank of America account. Twelve days ago, when I transferred funds, I phoned my Seattle banker and emailed him wire transfer instructions, I waited 2 or 3 days until the money was in the hands of my Ajijic, Actinver Broker/person. He immediately transferred some of the funds into a joint bank account held by me and my property manager. The old balance was almost zero until the funds were transferred to that account. My property manager was able to immediately draw out however much money she needed.

Where was I making the phone calls from? This time from a condo in Seattle. I could have done it from here in Ajijic as well.

Oh and when I signed up for Actinver's predecessor, Lloyd's, in 1997, I was told about needing sufficient funds in my account to cash a check. I have followed that rule and never have to wait 42 days (yes, I have a small brokerage account with Actinver so that I always have sufficient funds to allow instant cashing of a check)

Again, you don't have to wait 42 days when you wire funds.

I too have a B of A account from Mexico you can call toll free to Wire Transfer Dept - no need to email Tel- 001 315 724 4022 call will prompt you to enter your pin number-ACCOUNT NUMBER and amount - you will be transferred to wire dept STAFF to give them your account info in Mexico and instructions - when wiring money to Mexico -I found I get a better exchange rate using DOLLARS- transfer deposit is recorded that day in my account at Bancomer in pesos and money is available immediately.

Depending on amount B of A will call you back in Mexico confirm wire amount and give ID number

sorry, I was not clear. I write a check to myself, deposit into Bancomer account, get pesos out of Bancomer machine. No fees normally. Usually works fine. My USA bank is a credit union so cannot electronically send money...tried years ago already...forget about it.

The point I was making is Bancomer lost my check, at least my credit union has no record of ever receiving a request, and now charging me lots of money because "the check did not clear". duh! it was never presented!

Just wondered if anyone has had this type of problem with Bancomer? one bank says the check did not clear, the other bank says they never received it!

Lag time used to be less than a week to clear. now it is not clearing at all. scary!

thanks.

I too have a B of A account from Mexico you can call toll free to Wire Transfer Dept - no need to email Tel- 001 315 724 4022 call will prompt you to enter your pin number-ACCOUNT NUMBER and amount - you will be transferred to wire dept STAFF to give them your account info in Mexico and instructions - when wiring money to Mexico -I found I get a better exchange rate using DOLLARS- transfer deposit is recorded that day in my account at Bancomer in pesos and money is available immediately.

Depending on amount B of A will call you back in Mexico confirm wire amount and give ID number

Privado...does B of A charge you a fee for the wire transfer? If so, how much?

I'm not Privado but I was told I didn't have to pay a wire transfer fee, and I didn't in the years past and again I wasn't charged a fee one or two weeks ago. Oh, I was told that with the type of account I had, that I had too have more than $25K in my account for a free wire transfer. My B of A and my Merrill Lynch accounts are apparently linked.

We wire money to Multiva and it is deposited and credited into our account on the same day or sometimes the next day. I always alert our account rep that money is coming in, since it comes into Mexico, not Ajijic. We also transfer dollars to Bank of America overnight from Citibank. The Scotia Bank ATM across from Tobolandia records these transfers the same day, so it is literally overnight if we make the transfer before 3pm EST. B of A has a terrible exchange rate, but that isn't a factor as the rate is provided by ScotiaBank. It is one of the best rates around. We just got 13.2 pesos to the USD four days ago when the rate was .5 pesos less per dollar at Multiva the same day. The USD is down somewhat since then with everyone. With both B of America and with direct deposits to Multiva, there are NO fees on either side. This saves us hundreds of dollars each and every month. Thousands of dollars every year. No more $29 pesos to the local bank and 1% of the amount plus a bank fee of around $12 USD for every withdrawal from, for example, Citibank. We now pay $0.00 to convert dollars to pesos. And the B of America checking account is free with no minimum deposit. I think that we've finally got it right after 8 years of being squeezed.

This same thing happened to friends of mine when trying to pay their rent. Their cheque drawn on a Canadian bank cleared but it took weeks for Bancomer to finally find it, Thank goodness they had an understanding landlord whose account happened to be with Bancomer.

Privado...does B of A charge you a fee for the wire transfer? If so, how much?

I'm not Privado but I was told I didn't have to pay a wire transfer fee, and I didn't in the years past and again I wasn't charged a fee one or two weeks ago. Oh, I was told that with the type of account I had, that I had too have more than $25K in my account for a free wire transfer. My B of A and my Merrill Lynch accounts are apparently linked.

I have a Platinum Privilege Acct at B of A - supposedly the best with most privileges-with more than 25,000.00- BUT I pay 45.00 for outgoing wire's-incoming are free-US Banks just upped their fees and are making big money -just like airlines-

Credit unions are great but you have limited access...

Bancomer charges for everything-BUT, I choose to live INSIDE Mexico with a Mexican Bank Account -I pay my rent and credit card in pesos by direct deposit also, telmex, cfe , restaurants and grocery shopping , etc- no driving, no standing in line -no running to the ATM every time I need money to find ATM down ,as I used to do in Ajijic...It's worth a few bucks a month

Johanson, what kind of account do you have???? maybe its free because it's tied to an Investment account ???

Went to Intercam about opening an account. The reason you get your money instantly is that you deposit it first, before you get it. Must have 4 things: passport, FM, minimum $1000 USD, copy of your phone bill, AND a copy of your property tax. I don't have property taxes, I rent. So FYI for anyone thinking of using this bank.

Privado asked: "Johanson, what kind of account do you have???? maybe its free because it's tied to an Investment account"

Yes I do have a linked Merrill Lynch brokerage account. And yes I had to ask the branch manager (I was in Seattle) if I qualified for a free wire transfer. He didn't know. He said he believed I had to have more than $25K in my banking account. He phoned up someone and got authorization to wire the money for free, but I had to ask. He said I qualified. When I asked him why, he stuttered this second time I had asked and said, because I had $25 K in my account. Maybe he was wrong. Maybe it was because I have more than that in my linked Merrill Lynch-B of A accounts. I don't know.

My USA bank is a credit union so cannot electronically send money...tried years ago already...forget about it.

My USA bank is a credit union too. They transfer electronically in the USA and wire internationally anytime w/ no fee. Check with yours again.

Archived