Chapala.com Webboard

Ukulele or Folk Music Groups

We are moving to Guadalajara in July. I have been playing Tenor Ukulele for a year now and belong to two groups where I currently live. One is all ukulele and meets once a month, the other is old farts folk musicians that also meets once a month.. I NEED TO FIND SOMETHING LIKE THIS IN GUADALAJARA. My musical interests range from 30's-40's Jazz song book to folk and what ever.... calling all musicians!!!!!

Stan Cooper

Musical friends

I've some great uke books and some video programs that teach uke basics, get a uke, we can learn together. There really his no more happy an instrument than ukulele AND it isn't all about Hawaiian music... there was a ukulele craze in the 30's and many sophisticated chords that are damn hard to play on a guitar are actually not that hard on a traditionally tuned four string uke.

Any group I would be involved in would have to be evenings or weekends because I will be teaching History at the American School Foundation Guadalajara.

There is joy in music

Stan

• 1 month later...

Stan, There is a small group of ukulele interest in Ajijic, at Lake Chapala. We play (practice) weekly and we've been playing and learning together since January. I play a tenor and Sheila plays a concert. We have another friend, Lee, who's been playing longer, but is only a snowbird. There is also a Hawaiian living lakeside, Hal, who was instrumental in getting us started playing the ukulele. He plays locally at restaurants and other venues periodically. We'd love to meet you. Would like to get your email so we can get in touch.

Kay & Sheila

• 3 weeks later...

Folktraveler@gmail.com

(33) 36414182

I got down here without a car, teach history all week at the American School, live in Col. Providencia but would love to try to find a way to hook up with you guys..

Stan

Musical friends

I've some great uke books and some video programs that teach uke basics, get a uke, we can learn together. There really his no more happy an instrument than ukulele AND it isn't all about Hawaiian music... there was a ukulele craze in the 30's and many sophisticated chords that are damn hard to play on a guitar are actually not that hard on a traditionally tuned four string uke.

Any group I would be involved in would have to be evenings or weekends because I will be teaching History at the American School Foundation Guadalajara.

There is joy in music

Stan

Hi Stan,

Just the mention of the Ukulele, brings the thought of the Great IZ, GOOGLE-- "Over The Rainbow" vimeo.com/8578344‎

Goodluck,

Fox

• 2 months later...

Stan, There is a small group of ukulele interest in Ajijic, at Lake Chapala. We play (practice) weekly and we've been playing and learning together since January. I play a tenor and Sheila plays a concert. We have another friend, Lee, who's been playing longer, but is only a snowbird. There is also a Hawaiian living lakeside, Hal, who was instrumental in getting us started playing the ukulele. He plays locally at restaurants and other venues periodically. We'd love to meet you. Would like to get your email so we can get in touch.

Kay & Sheila

Hi! Is your ukulele group still meeting? Is it open to new members? 2 beginners and one seasoned player interested! We are snowbirds.

Judy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Where and when does this group meet? My wife and I are just starting out with ukulele and would like to meet other uke players in the area.

Bill

Chente, you might try to PM headlemk on this web board...she is in this group and can help you out. She's also the lady in the Needlepushers referred to in the other Ukulele thread.

• 4 months later...

I'm so sorry for being away. Club Ukulele del Laguna meets on Monday afternoons from 2-4 at Maria Isabel (Old Posada) at the end of Colon at the malecon in Ajijic. We have beginner workshops the 2nd - 4th Mondays from 1-1:45. On the 1st Monday of each month is Jam Day, where we all bring our entire Song Book and just play and a good time for newcomers to get acquainted.

Our FB page is https://www.facebook.com/groups/ClubUkuleleLaguna/

and our WEB page is http://lakesideukulele2014.wix.com/clubukuleledelaguna

We're the CUL Kids! (CUL pronounced "cool") We even have our own "anthem"

We have grown from 5 members to 20 since May. We'd be happy for you to join us.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On 8/24/2013 at 8:48 PM, folktraveler said:

Folktraveler@gmail.com

(33) 36414182

I got down here without a car, teach history all week at the American School, live in Col. Providencia but would love to try to find a way to hook up with you guys..

Stan

The bus from the old bus station near Parque Agua Azul to Chapala works well.

17 hours ago, RickS said:

You just answered a Post from over 6 years ago!  Doubt he/she is still looking....

Ah, helps to read the fine print!