Chapala.com Webboard

Rolly's website and getting TIP at the border

All Day

On Rolly's website it states that to receive you TIP papers and sticker, you must present your driver's license (plus copies), and that the license has to be valid and non-Mexican. I want to import a USA plated car, but only have a MX license.

I've searched the SAT site and I can't find any mention of this in their list of documents needed. Can someone help me out?

Also, I read this on MexPro Insurance site:

It is recommended that one carry three copies of each of these documents.

1. Evidence of Citizenship, i.e. A Government Issued Passport
  2. If you are not a Mexican citizen, a Mexican immigration permit-such as a tourist, business or immigrant permit.
  3. The Vehicle Title and registration certificate. A bill of sale is not valid proof.
  4. A Valid Driver's License with photo.
  5. Certificate of canceled import permit for any prior temporary import permits.
  6. If the vehicle is financed, is a rental car, is leased, and/or a company car, a notarized letter of permission for importation of the vehicle into Mexico is required from the lien holder or lending institution.
  7. An International Credit Card (American Express, Mastercard, Visa) in the name fo the driver of the vehicle (importer).
  8. If the title of the vehicle is in the name of a spouse, child, or parents - a birth certificate must be presented or a marriage license.

No license needed if you do it via internet

Again, the list you give us from MexPro only says 'valid drivers license'. It doesn't say you can't have a Mexican license.

I know. I replied to you on Mexconnect.

I know, that's why I posted the information. If you visit 5 websites concerning the matter, you will get different information at each one.

The U.S. Consulate in Guadalajara says on their website that you need a U.S. or Canadian License for TIP. So does AMSA.

Several sites (such as the one I quoted above, and the Ajijic Law Website), just say ''Valid Driver's License''.

I would hate to make the drive to McAllen from Ajijic, just to find out that I can't import the vehicle.

Again, the list you give us from MexPro only says 'valid drivers license'. It doesn't say you can't have a Mexican license.

I'm starting to think that the websites that state ''Valid Driver's License'', are just assuming (naturally) that a person crossing from NOB would have a U.S. or Canadian driver's license. It's a pretty safe assumption, but it doesn't apply in my case.

As a matter of fact, I just re-read the Ajijic Law Website, and they say the following:

Every foreigner is allowed to enter Mexico with a vehicle which is not Mexican plated (e.g. US or Canadian), as long as you have the following: Mexican Insurance, FMT, FM2, FM3, registration in your name, and a credit card or cash to cover a bond for the vehicle. The Mexican government (Aduanas/Customs) will charge you $37 USD, and a security deposit (bond) for the importation. This deposit ranges from $200 USD to $400 USD depending on the age of the vehicle. This is refundable if the car is removed from Mexico within 6 months. It will also be refunded after this date if you keep Customs updated on the FM3 and FM2 renewals, this must be done within 15 days of obtaining the renewal.

They don't mention driver's licenses at all. It just keeps getting better and better.

There are obsolete terms, errors and traps in all of that, especially on the return of the deposit after changing INM status. The catch-22 is that the process often exceeds the time limit and the deposit is lost.

Archived