Chapala.com Webboard

Aduana Import Website (Cotización)

All Day

Has anyone else used this website and if so, what were your results?

http://paisano.prevalidadorcaaarem.org.mx/Cotizador/

I'm entering a 1998 Toyota Corolla (nafta car), and it is giving me 32,300 MX in import duties. I know this is not correct, since customs brokers are charging anywhere from $1,500 to $2,000 US for importation.

Anybody else getting screwy numbers?

http://paisano.prevalidadorcaaarem.org.mx/EscogerAA.html

It´s a private company representing a number of importers along the border and it the total nationalization price on your Toyota. It is what they charge if you use one of these brokers. It is not ADUANA´s duty calculator on NAFTA allowed vehicles.

You could get the Mexicali broker I have met a few times to do it for $5,000.00 pesos and $400.00 pesos for the 15 day ADUANA transit permit. Total would be around $5,400 pesos or about $435.00 US.

http://www.aduanas-mexico.com.mx/claa/ctar/leyes/mec_precios_estimados.html#ane2

This is the file all brokers work off of for the 10% current value of allowable vehicles. It is an incomplete listing and in USA dollars. Add about $50.00 US to the ADUANA´s 10% for the ADUANA fee and the rest is the Broker´s fees.

Your Toyota is valued at $2,867.00 US. 10% is $287.00 US duty to ADUANA + $50.00 US fee to ADUANA = $337.00 US and the rest is broker´s fees. ADUANA charges $400.00 pesos for the 15 day transit permit.

http://paisano.prevalidadorcaaarem.org.mx/EscogerAA.html

It´s a private company representing a number of importers along the border and it the total nationalization price on your Toyota. It is what they charge if you use one of these brokers. It is not ADUANA´s duty calculator on NAFTA allowed vehicles.

You could get the Mexicali broker I have meet a few times to do it for $5,000.00 pesos and $400.00 pesos for the 15 day ADUANA transit permit. Total would be around $5,400 pesos or about $435.00 US.

http://www.aduanas-mexico.com.mx/claa/ctar/leyes/mec_precios_estimados.html#ane2

This is the file all brokers work off of for the 10% current value of allowable vehicles. It is an incomplete listing and in USA dollars. Add about $50.00 US to the ADUANA´s 10% for the ADUANA fee and the rest is the Broker´s fees.

Your Toyota is valued at $2,867.00 US. 10% is $287.00 US duty to ADUANA + $50.00 US fee to ADUANA = $337.00 US and the rest is broker´s fees. ADUANA charges $400.00 pesos for the 15 day transit permit.

Hey Alan, thanks for your time and explanation.

Hey Alan, thanks for your time and explanation.

Actually I put in a VIN and this is the duty and 16% IVA taxes and ADUANA fees, not the total charge they will charge. The fees of their associates will be on top of that.

It has to be concocted.

A 2004 GM pickup cannot be valued a $14,740.00 US. The ADUANA chart value is $3183.00 US which the 10% duty is calculated on.

The ADUANA website is very clear on how the duty is calculated. The fee for inspection and delivering the Pedimento for a 2003 to 2005 vehicle is $50.00 US to ADUANA and for a 2006 and 2007 it is slightly more, I can´t remember exactly but about $60.00 US.

The 15 day temporary transit permit is a $400.00 peso fee to ADUANA.

To inspect a semi tractor truck and deliver a Pedimento it was about $100.00 US to ADUANA.

http://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/aduana_mexico/2008/vehiculos/141_10026.html

"Contributions:

The processing shall be determined and paid the general import tax (IGI), VAT, ISAN, the ITUV and DTA, under the terms of the existing legal provisions, considering the following:

"General Import Tax [duty]

Should be paid a tariff of 10% current value general import tax. Which is applied to the customs value of the vehicle. [their chart posted above]

Value added tax.[iVA]

For purposes of determining the tax, applying the rate of 16% laid down in article 1. VAT Act or the rate of 11% if the import is done by an [owner lives in Baja or Sonora free zone] importer resident in the border region in the terms of Article 2. VAT Act, considering tax base the customs value of the vehicle, added to the general import tax and other contributions paid on his final import."

This means for your Toyota a 16% tax on the 10% duty = $287.00 US duty + 16% = $45.92 + $287.00 = $332.00 to ADUANA duty + $50.00 US = $382.90 US to ADUANA for the duty, tax, inspection and Pedimento the broker pays.

So the Mexicali broker pays $382.90 US + $34.00 US [Transit permit] to ADUANA = $416.00 US or $5211.00 pesos and adds his $65.00 US fee = $812 pesos. Your cost is about $6023.00 pesos or $481.00 US. Not the $435.00 US as I forgot to add the 16% IVA tax. Sorry.

The Mexicali broker said he averages 100 vehicles a month over a year. At $65 US per vehicle he makes about $78,000 US a year taxable income. He seems happy with that living in Mexicali, has a tiny office to pay rent on and other costs to consider. Alan

I'm confused about this. There are many vehicles on the list that are not NAFTA built invluding the one I would like to bring in permanently (Japanese built Suzuki). Does that mean you can "import" a used non-NAFTA vehicle by paying the duties as per the valuations on the chart, obtain the pedimiento then go to Guad and get the Jalisco plates for it?

Why is this different than the process many have discussed on how to "nationalize" a vehicle where the rules seem to be selective about not allowing non-NAFTA built, age restrictions, no diesels, etc?

I'm confused about this. There are many vehicles on the list that are not NAFTA built invluding the one I would like to bring in permanently (Japanese built Suzuki). Does that mean you can "import" a used non-NAFTA vehicle by paying the duties as per the valuations on the chart, obtain the pedimiento then go to Guad and get the Jalisco plates for it?

Why is this different than the process many have discussed on how to "nationalize" a vehicle where the rules seem to be selective about not allowing non-NAFTA built, age restrictions, no diesels, etc?

It might have been made in Ingersoll Ontario Canada if it is a Suzuki Swift. Check the VIN.

Honda CRV´s were made in several counties for the same year model it has been discussed here, one plant is in the USA.

A guy imported a 2007 Honda CRV made in the US in Nogales for $1,100 US total and the broker only charged him a $60.00 US fee to do it.

Nuevo Laredo brokers seem greedy. IMO

It is 600 miles to Laredo and 1000 miles to Nogales from Guadalajara though. Some Expats from Mazatlan are having good luck with this Nogales broker.

It might have been made in Ingersoll Ontario Canada if it is a Suzuki Swift. Check the VIN.

Nope. It is a 4 cyl. Sidekick Sport - VIN starts with a "J". Ingersoll did assemble the non-Sport variants of Sidekick that were the smaller 2 door models. My question is, there are many vehicles on the Aduana list that are non-NAFTA (eg. Ferrari). Is the "importation" of a vehicle a different process than the "nationalization" of a vehicle.

That is an important question! Many of us have J cars which we would love to keep. Our Pathfinder was made in Japan, has all the bells and whistles and is a 1999 model with only 75,000 miles. Is there any way to import it permanently????????

Nope. It is a 4 cyl. Sidekick Sport - VIN starts with a "J". Ingersoll did assemble the non-Sport variants of Sidekick that were the smaller 2 door models. My question is, there are many vehicles on the Aduana list that are non-NAFTA (eg. Ferrari). Is the "importation" of a vehicle a different process than the "nationalization" of a vehicle.

There are processes on the ADUAMA SAT website for importing non NAFTA vehicles that are high duty if you notice and even new cars are able to be imported by new car dealers. Some new car dealers seem to be able to import used luxury cars at 50% duty plus the 16% IVA tax at a few sea ports in Mexico from Europe and Asia.

It is s specific area and not too complicated.

Example is a new or used late model Corvette, BMWs German made can be imported new by new car dealers here. There are provisions available to new car dealers that individuals cannot take advantage of.

Your Sidekick might be one but if the older ones that are listed on the chart it appears to be related to the Sidekick venture GM is involved in with Suzuki " Sidekick: The North American version was produced as a joint venture between Suzuki and General Motors." Are you sure the model is not 60% NAFTA built and some have a VIN with no "J". The one sidekick there on the ADUANA chart is described as "SIDEKICK-4 Cyl#" so I assume it was assembled in Canada and the joint venture with Suzuki and GM.

That is an important question! Many of us have J cars which we would love to keep. Our Pathfinder was made in Japan, has all the bells and whistles and is a 1999 model with only 75,000 miles. Is there any way to import it permanently????????

You can import "J" vehicles from 1984 to 2007 into the frontera states Free Zone legally and need to get Baja or Sonora plates then.

The pedimento is different than the "Interior Zone" pedimento. This is all of Baja and a part of Sonora, there is a boundary line somewhere there in Sonora not really close to the border but not as far as southern Sonora, I forgot where it is.

It might not be that hard to get Baja plates if you have a friend with a house there.

Your Sidekick might be one but if the older ones that are listed on the chart it appears to be related to the Sidekick venture GM is involved in with Suzuki " Sidekick: The North American version was produced as a joint venture between Suzuki and General Motors." Are you sure the model is not 60% NAFTA built and some have a VIN with no "J". The one sidekick there on the ADUANA chart is described as "SIDEKICK-4 Cyl#" so I assume it was assembled in Canada and the joint venture with Suzuki and GM.

My hometown is Ingersoll, ON so I am a bit familiar with the CAMI plant there and it's history. This is the first time I have ever heard of the possibility that some of the vehicles assembled there may have VIN#s starting with a "J". I'll do some further research on this and if so, perhaps there is a loop hole.

My hometown is Ingersoll, ON so I am a bit familiar with the CAMI plant there and it's history. This is the first time I have ever heard of the possibility that some of the vehicles assembled there may have VIN#s starting with a "J". I'll do some further research on this and if so, perhaps there is a loop hole.

I think they did not have VINs with a "J" coming out of that plant. I think the 60% NAFTA rule takes into account the motor and transmission can be built in Japan. The rest in Canada. There might have been a transition. NAFTA allowed in Mexico Asian products simply assembled in Mexico but most of the components made in ASIA with domestic electronics early on in their Free Trade Zones, Canadian products also for many years before NAFTA was signed by Bill Clinton. Canada was doing it years before the US.

There are no legitimate ways for a private individual to import a used, foreign plated J car.

Auto dealers are permitted to import J cars from the USA. Can you find a dealer who will buy your car, then import it, getting a valid pedimento? For the dealer to sell it back to you, they have to treat it like any other car, getting state registration and state placas. This is one legal way that some people import used German-made or Japanese-made cars.

Archived