Chapala.com Webboard

Stopped by the Transitos

REC

Let me start off my saying that this is not a rant about how bad things are here or looking to start an argument about corruption, the police, etc.

We were driving east on the carraterra about 12:15 today. Close to the last entrance into La Floresta and before the light at the libramiento & Walmart. There was a police car just ahead of us driving VERY slowly and as we approached he motioned us to pass him. As soon as we passed he hit his lights and pulled us over.

As I got out of the car he said the reason he had stopped us was because we were not wearing our seatbelts and asked for my license and car papers. I insisted that I WAS wearing my seatbelt - which I was - and immediately turned over my documents. He agreed that all was in order but took out his ticketbook as though he was going to write a ticket for the "infraction". All of this was in Spanish - which was fine. My Spanish is far from perfect but we had no trouble understanding each other. But we ARE in Mexico so I understand that it is my responsibility to understand him - not his responsibility to speak English. No problem. We clearly understood each other 100% in Spanish.

After going back and forth a number of times with me insisting I was wearing my seatbelt, always wear my seatbelt, etc. he finally said that he did not see me without my seatbelt but the "other policeman" on the other side of the road signaled to him that we were not wearing seatbelts. He also told me that I had 22 days to go to "the office" and protest the ticket.

At this point the second policeman in the truck that stopped us joined the conversation - in English - and repeated that they were told by the "other policeman" that we were not wearing seatbelts but that he had not seen us without our seatbelts. A few times back and forth with him - now in English.

At the end he said he was going to let me go "this time" with a warning. I started to make another comment but thought better of it and caught myself, collected my documents and drove away - without a ticket. No request for money - no threat to tow the car - just planned to give me a ticket for something I didn't do.

My question and my reason for this post is how do we protect ourselves in this situation? Basically our word against his. I can't come up with an answer but thought maybe some of you might have some advice or experience.

We love it here, have no plans to leave, are not freaked out about this or some of the other "hassles" of living here. Just thought I would ask if anyone has ANY ideas as to how we can protect ourselves in a situation like this. Likely answer is "we can't" but thought I would ask.

Thanks in advance for any practical suggestions.

No experience here, but I wonder if it would help to remain in the car, with seatbelt on? They could still claim you didn't have it on previously, but... ?

My question and my reason for this post is how do we protect ourselves in this situation? Basically our word against his. I can't come up with an answer but thought maybe some of you might have some advice or experience.

But that's EXACTLY how to protect yourself. You did it. You had your papers in order, and didn't cave in to them. Those particular Transitos will remember your car and not take you for a patsy next time.

But then, sooner or later there will be another one, some day.

The only "practical" advice I have to offer for the future is, don't pull over into a shady spot. Make it unpleasant for the Transito. Locally, they work the shady La Floresta corridor for their own tree-filled comfort. If you pull over into the hot, blazing sun....they seem to be quicker about their business and move on if they get no satisfaction. There's always another car down the road that might be easier prey.

(Props to Rolly Brook for that tip, years ago!)

Yeah, same guy, same excuse. He pulled me out of a stopped line of cars going W in front of Blacks Coffee. As I reached to get my papers I unbuckled my belt and of course he started on that and I just laughed and said the car beeps without the belt, you can't drive it? Then he said I ran the light by SuperLake, I said you mean the one with the yellow that has been burned out for months? He said yes and again I laughed and he tried me a time or two and I said fine, write the ticket and he told me I had to pay it, I asked if I got a discount for paying in 5 days he said yes and I was still laughing as he went back to his truck, got in and drove away? - didn't even say goodbye?

Yeah, same guy, same excuse. He pulled me out of a stopped line of cars going W in front of Blacks Coffee. As I reached to get my papers I unbuckled my belt and of course he started on that and I just laughed and said the car beeps without the belt, you can't drive it? Then he said I ran the light by SuperLake, I said you mean the one with the yellow that has been burned out for months? He said yes and again I laughed and he tried me a time or two and I said fine, write the ticket and he told me I had to pay it, I asked if I got a discount for paying in 5 days he said yes and I was still laughing as he went back to his truck, got in and drove away? - didn't even say goodbye?

Good for you. I am not in the Give Them the Mordida and Move On school. I believe that rights and law need to have defenders on either side. If I am ever stopped, I will just follow the law, "Give me the ticket and I'll deal with it in court." Nope, if more people do it, and are not afraid when they know they are right, then this action will, if not disappear, be reduced.

BTW I drive a Mexican plated car and do believe in seat belts and speed limits, much to the chagrin of many of my road buddies. Less exposure, less risk.

This is exactly why I will never go to any business in Ajijic.

Yup, I miss a lot of good things, but I don't need my day ruined by these thugs.

Maybe some day the businesses in Ajijic will realize they're losing business because of these guys and do something about it. I'm not holding my breath.

drive around the long way, then your chances of being stopped are less. be ready to give 200 pesos if you are in a hurry, & he says you can pay ticket on the spot. the OP handled it correctly. that policeman did not ask for $, so it wasnt an issue.

drive around the long way, then your chances of being stopped are less. be ready to give 200 pesos if you are in a hurry, & he says you can pay ticket on the spot. the OP handled it correctly. that policeman did not ask for $, so it wasnt an issue.

It's just much simpler to go somewhere else other than Ajijic.

i assume there are shopping options etc. if someone has to go that route, going around the lake could maybe lessen the chances. i dont drive, but that higway is always full of traffic. sometimes taxies go all the around floresta to avoid it.

what will you do w/your video footage? will the police know you are recording him? what is the purpose of this except to make trouble for yourself?

I wish I could say that I relate to you guys but I just don't get it. I've lived here for 9 years, been stopped maybe 3 times and the last time was about 2 years ago. I drive a 2001 Toyota Highlander with SD plates. What are you people doing that you get stopped so many times? To listen to some people they can't drive anywhere without being afraid. I'm curious to find out exactly how many times you've been stopped, never, 1 to 5, more than 5, they wait at my front door. Does being male or female make a difference? How much does age factor in?

When my Texas plated Explorer was new and flashy in 2000, I would get stopped. But the older and more dented it got, the less I got stopped. The last time was 3 years ago when I did something wrong.

Now that I have a Permanent Resident (Mexican) green card, and drive a Mexican plated car, I am no longer a target.

When my Texas plated Explorer was new and flashy in 2000, I would get stopped. But the older and more dented it got, the less I got stopped. The last time was 3 years ago when I did something wrong.

Now that I have a Permanent Resident (Mexican) green card, and drive a Mexican plated car, I am no longer a target.

I have an old Toyota, parked outside in the village. That has definitely taken a tole on the appearance, along with classic Mexican crack on the front window. Three of us drive the car and usually between Ajijic and Riberas, at least once a day. Never been stopped in eight years. South Dakota plates. This is the primary reason the car fiasco irked me. I want to keep this car.

I have an old Toyota, parked outside in the village. That has definitely taken a tole on the appearance, along with classic Mexican crack on the front window. Three of us drive the car and usually between Ajijic and Riberas, at least once a day. Never been stopped in eight years. South Dakota plates. This is the primary reason the car fiasco irked me. I want to keep this car.

Why not keep driving it, even if you become permenente? Sounds like the worst case scenario is that they could confiscate it if you got pulled over. The odds are, with having never been stopped in 8 years, they won't. As long as you can obtain insurance, it seems like the risk is minimal and you probably could not get much for selling it anyway. I think a few people have came to that conclusion. It is not a crime, you won't go to jail.

Why not keep driving it, even if you become permenente? Sounds like the worst case scenario is that they could confiscate it if you got pulled over. The odds are, with having never been stopped in 8 years, they won't. As long as you can obtain insurance, it seems like the risk is minimal and you probably could not get much for selling it anyway. I think a few people have came to that conclusion. It is not a crime, you won't go to jail.

The problem may be insurance. I asked my insurance agent if my insurance was valid for a foreign plated car and me with a Permnente. He had no idea but said if the car was legal my insurance good. I don't know if my car is legal.

We must have come through La Floresta just before the OP. We commented on the transito sitting there as we have been stopped and it went just like it did for the OP. My husband took off his seat belt and got out of the car. Mistake but what men usually do. My husband would not get into a car without a seat belt. No ticket but lots of talking. I was stopped once as well but I proved that there was no infraction. Very nice to me. We have a banged up car with Jalisco plates. It is going to stay that way.

Just avoid that whole area. Going west come down into San Antonio, at the Plaza make a right on Ramon Corona, go all the way past the horse rental area and just past the street that has the Tiangues make a left and then a right onto 16th of Septembre and into Ajijic. You have to make that jog because the street turns into one way after the Tiangues street. Also down there closer to the lake the parking is better. Coming back is a strait shot on Constitucion right into San Antonio again. Great way to avoid the rascals and a more scenic route with less traffic.

Archived