Chapala.com Webboard

Be a hero this Saturday

Union Ajijic is the youth soccer program for underserved kids in our community. It provides a positive alternative to the streets. There are about 30 - 40 kids involved in three age-groups. This Saturday is the final game of this season and we wanted to offer the community a chance to show their support by coming along and watching the game (or part of it). Soccer is a big part of the Mexican community and this is an excellent opportunity to be a part of it.

And it's FREE!

But if you want to be a real hero, you can bring along a soccer ball ($9 from Walmart - SIZE 5). For bringing a ball, we will take your photo with a very grateful team and have the team sign their thank-you's, and add your name to the title to demonstrate your support of the community. There will be someone at the entrance who will greet you and make the arrangements (no Spanish needed). The game this Saturday for the senior team will be at 1pm at the Cruz Azul field. The field is easy to find - it is next to Plaza Bugambillas and it borders the carretera. The entrance is two large blue gates on the street by the Plaza (the same street on which the tiangis is held).

Our team is easy to spot - we are the only team in the league without any uniforms. We can't afford any, so they wear blue 'casacas' - a bit like cashier vests.

If you in the market for some art, renowned local artist Liz Skelsey has some beautiful paintings for sale with all proceeds going to the team.

Rather than asking for money, we would like to invite your involvement. You can be a part of Union Ajijic either giving your time, expertise or much needed equipment. We will soon have a little website running, but if you want to know more we have a Facebook group called 'Union Ajijic'. Or just contact me through this forum.

Thank you.

Thanks Lexy. These kids work soooo hard - practice is five days a week for 2 - 3 hours and we have started giving them classes in English. The new delegado, Hector Espana, was instrumental in this new program and we both thought this could be somewhat of a bridge between expat and Mexican communities. If we can share a little of our good fortune then this can go a long way to showing our support and involvement in the Ajijic community. At the very least we can add our support to our community's youth soccer team.

p.s. last week they won the championship. Their hard work paid off!

This is AWESOME! I'm so excited to be a part of a community that does things just like this. We wont be there full time till july, but we will totally help you with this.. I know bob really wants to get involved with a softball/baseball team too!

Do you know if Walmart gift card from NOB work in Ajijic?

This is AWESOME! I'm so excited to be a part of a community that does things just like this. We wont be there full time till july, but we will totally help you with this.. I know bob really wants to get involved with a softball/baseball team too!

Do you know if Walmart gift card from NOB work in Ajijic?

Sadly, no: from walmart.com:

Walmart Gift Card:

Easy to Use

• For purchases at Walmart.com and in U.S. Walmart stores
  • For purchases by SAM'S Club members in U.S. SAM'S Club stores and at Samsclub.com

Very exciting for the kids! Great work True Brit! I didn't see what time the game is? I'm visiting for a few more days, but would love to come and cheer :)!

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

The game is at 1pm this coming Saturday. There is shaded "seating" - bring a cushion if "comfortable concrete" doesn't have the necessary give. I will try and be at the gate, but if I have been pulled away, ask for Phil or Felipe. We can do fotos before or after the game, or half time - whatever fits your schedule.

If there is any change to the venue or time, I will post it here. Getting info on the games is not always an exact science.

• 1 month later...

Archived