Chapala.com Webboard

Gringos getting pulled out of cars at gunpoint and arrested

I do not understand why people have to be told over and over again to do this legally. There are no shortcuts. If you read the newspaper you will see many still wanting everyone's money to do this illegally. Listen to Spencer

I was offered what is being described here in janruary. I didn't go for it because of the cost, and I didn't think my car was worth it.

At that time I do not recall anyone warning folks not to nationalize. The warnings came later. Not to mention, one usually engages with a lawyer if they want to make sure their rights are protected. I can understand how some got caught. This isn't about a lawyer rather Mexico, corruption, and opportunists who arise at any occasion.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't agree more.

In the beginning no one knew or understood what on earth was going on with immigration. Many of of suffered sleepless nights because we told one thing, then it changed and now it's going to change again.

Since this mostly affects the English speaking community it would have helped if someone from the government had explained what was going on, but it seems even they didn't know.

First we needed financials then they grandfathered us in and now Spencer says that's about to change.

Then the car issue. Many cannot drive to the border and no instructions were given on how to legalize our cars. Even the Aduana doesn't seem to know what is happening.

Then they send out Federales to try and catch us and jail and deport us and seize our cars.

We were sitting ducks for scam artists ... no thanks to the government.

Let's face it folks....they don't want us here and are not going to do anything to help us...except be ready to subject us to car seizures, jail, deported and who knows what else.

This is one of the most unfriendly expat countries in the world today.

Be careful about choosing a Lawyer in Mexico, as has been stated many times on this forum. There is little recourse(if any)

when they take the money & do not deliver services agreed upon. The Police are looking for one lawyer in Chapala now.

PM me if you want name

Sorry to spoil the party but whilst I appreciate the information the topic heading is nothing short of sensational, not to say totally misleading. If I were sitting NOB I would have obviously expected that people have actually been dragged from their cars and arrested at gunpoint, but then we are informed by the OP it hasn't happened!! We will of course be the same people complaing next high season that restaurants etc. are empty which would hardly surprise me as I wouldn't visit after reading a sensational headline like that.

Once again thanks for the information, but honestly I'm disgusted by the topic heading.

Sorry to spoil the party .... but honestly I'm disgusted by the topic heading.

You seem to be disgusted by a lot of things here. Maybe it would be easier for you to just skip the topic and post where you feel more "at home". Many of us appreciate Spencer and his information, and feel that he contributes positively to this board, unlike some. :)

This is one of the most unfriendly expat countries in the world today.

I wonder how many people on this blog can say they've tried to become expats in other countries and have found them more unfriendly.

I was speaking with a non-USA foreigner who wanted to become an expat in the USA - his response was identical concerning the USA.

How friendly is any government these days..toward expats or thier own citizens? I know that the U.S. government is not real

friendly to me although I was born there and paid taxes for many years..........So I did not actually expect the Govt here to be

friendly to me either and if Ieave here I will not expect friendly officials anywhere else, Sure would be nice if they would be

fair though! Fair as in treat someone else like you would like to be treated if in thier shoes............However, If anyone is aware

of a place where govt is friendly and/or fair please post it or P M me as I would like to know.

Well, I do agree the topic heading was a bit of a shock. However, if you have been duped into putting stolen plates on your car, the title is probably an accurate description of what could happen to you. Stolen plates will get you hauled in, in the U.S. too.

When we drive back from Texas, we pass car after car of Mexicans towing U.S. cars to the border. Amazing, isn't it, how they can haul the cars in by the thousands and Aduana spends its time hassling a few expats? Sorta reminds me of the transitos, eh?

Let's be clear about this. U.S. cars have the highest safety and emission standards. This is not about "protecting" Mexico from inferior cars, this is about protectionism, pure and simple. I may be wrong about this but it sure seems we are being singled out, transito style, for "special" attention.

Rumors are running around that they make it easier to qualify for those of more modest means but also harder to jump right ahead to permanente. It is only rumor but prudence would err on the side of doing it soon as once you have it then they cannot take it away from you.

I wonder how many people on this blog can say they've tried to become expats in other countries and have found them more unfriendly.

I was speaking with a non-USA foreigner who wanted to become an expat in the USA - his response was identical concerning the USA.

I don't see how this relates to the OP? Spencer was talking about Mexico, and that has nothing to do with the US. Why does someone always bring up US comparisons when that adds nothing to the discussion? Apples and oranges. Gee !

I don't see how this relates to the OP? Spencer was talking about Mexico, and that has nothing to do with the US. Why does someone always bring up US comparisons when that adds nothing to the discussion? Apples and oranges. Gee !

It's not.obviously. I just get a little miffed when people are so short sighted and judgmental without providing a solid argument..

Get back to the topic.

Thank you again Spencer for providing pro-active information. Also for the great Headline as it most surely made people pay attention.

It is evident that Spencer is the new generation of well educated Mexicans that are trying to make a difference. I understand comments in reference to "well this is Mexico" History tells us that evolution takes a long time, however it is refreshing to see that an individual like Spencer is not only willing to share his expertise, he is pushing the limits to subtly make the individual who is being unethical aware that their actions are unacceptable without naming names. It is a strategic way of making individuals accountable and raising the bar to help an old system slowly change. Unless people are aware of situations like this , change will never happen,

Regardless of headlines or how they are written, it is what is in the message that counts. This message basically says fore warned fore armed . Use its contents for your own benefit or Don't. It is the reader choice.

Once again Kudos to Spencer for being a solid source of information.

I bet Spencer's subject make a lot of people click on to see what it was about. Spencer has been warning people about this type of probability so if his subject line grabbed you then I think that is great...maybe it finally got some people's attention. There is an old saying, "You can't have your cake and eat it too." Look what happened to Marie Antoinette!

Spencer, thank you for sharing your expertise on this board; we are all fortunate to have you as a member.

To set the record straight, I am of Spanish descent, born in California and one day would love to be a naturalized Mexican. Until then and even after I continue to create jobs and encourage education and share with all my employees what I learn at various courses and conferences.

And yes, the word needs to be spread and perhaps I should have put a question mark at the end of the posting title but daily see (on the road by the airport and in Guadalajara) people stopped at gunpoint and this is sort of normal not to mention what would happen if plates came back as stolen. I prefer to save people hassle, I would rather them be happy and not have to have scary experiences and to pay legal fees. An ounce of prevention, ya know....

I've told Spencer he is more "MEXICAN" than I am. I've been told I'm more GRINGO than Spencer is.

Great info. Thanks for sharing Spencer. Wish people would head such health warnings from their healthcare providers.

So, Spencer, you're from California, eh? Well that explains the tabloid heading on the thread. When I first read it, I thought hmmm how American. I'm not complaining, as I'm sure many appreciate the web you provided to check nationalized plates.

And remember if the person who is giving out fake documents and stolen plates has done this alot, he neither has morals nor brains and probably little money so a holder of the fake documents and stolen plates will have the upper hand in collection as they can exercise criminal action but should not accept promises and not turn over the documents or plates unless cash payment is made on the spot or else they will be just another creditor having to wait in line and the risk of criminal sanctions will not be as strong.

I think too that it is time that we all contact our consuls and report these despicable things happening to us when we try to legalize our cars here simply because we have been granted a permanent residence permit. Is that the price we have to pay?

How come there is still so much "confusion"? This has been going on for months and it must stop. I know more than two people who have lost their money because the "broker" did not deliver.

Has anyone correctly and legally been able to legalize their car here recently? I really like to know because I have to do it now.

I legalized my car recently.

I remember Spencer posted and had a photo of a car he legalized.I did not go to a lawyer, I do not know how Spencer did it but perhaps he can share with the rest of you.

Archived