Chapala.com Webboard

Whole grain tortilleria?

Newbie3

Tortillas made with a press are not actually 'made by hand'. Made by hand involves patting the masa between the tortillera's two hands until it is a perfect circle.

Corn tortillas should not be sweet at all. Cacahuatzintle (the kind of dried corn that is used to make masa) has absolutely no sweetness. I wonder if Melissa's is adding a bit of some kind of sweetener to the masa.

I believe the Tortilleria Elena that everyone is referring to is located at Calle Galeana #11, behind La Parroquia.

http://www.lakesideguide.tv/restaurants/ajijic/tortilleria-elena

I went to this link...very interesting. I did not know that the price of corn was controlled by the government at 10 pesos a kilo. How can they make a profit at that especially if they are using the non subsidized version of masa. Half a kilo would last me a week.

The linked article is incorrect. The government does not control the price of tortillas. In addition, the article is undated. The cost of a kilo of tortillas rose dramatically in 2012. Again, maybe somebody would stop in any tortilleria and ask for the current price. The price of ordinary tortillas is different in Mexico City from the price at the lake.

Gringohombre, many Mexicans still subsist primarily on beans and tortillas--even at Lake Chapala. A kilo per adult person per day is not unusual. This is not a choice, but an economic necessity.

Tortilleria Elena charges 13 pesos/kilo.

I've purchased tortillas from two other tortillerias in the area (they use part whole grain and part Maseca™, not 100% whole grain like Tortilleria Elena) -- they charged the same price.

Tortilleria Elena charges 13 pesos/kilo.

I've purchased tortillas from two other tortillerias in the area (they use part whole grain and part Maseca™, not 100% whole grain like Tortilleria Elena) -- they charged the same price.

I wish Tortilleria Elena felt like they could ask for a higher price, but they're certainly not making their living selling to GMO-phobic gringos (I include myself in that characterization). And to be clear, Maseca IS whole grain - it's just that said grain is very likely to be mostly if not entirely GMO corn.

RVGringo, I am currently away from home and can't post a long answer from my tablet--at any rate, I choose not to. However, once I get back to my standard keyboard, I will gladly give you some facts about GMOs and why every country in Europe has banned them, and why the USA and Mexico should as well. I'm proud tobe GMO-phobic. We all should be.

A comment about this thread. There was a rally and March Against Monsato (protesting all GMO products) today on the malecon. At its peak i counted 120 people. This included the mayor and a group of children who helped clean up the beach. About 50 of us marched with signs through town. From what i have learned i feel we are so blessed to have the tuesday farmers market here. At least we can have more confidence we are getting less pesticide infused food.

RVGringo, I am currently away from home and can't post a long answer from my tablet--at any rate, I choose not to. However, once I get back to my standard keyboard, I will gladly give you some facts about GMOs and why every country in Europe has banned them, and why the USA and Mexico should as well. I'm proud tobe GMO-phobic. We all should be.

I agree with you. but was simply commenting about the term being a good one. We may not like what is happening, but I choose not to fear eating and living my remaining days as enjoyably as possible. That said, the real issue is using technology to increase food production vs. allowing more starvation in the world. The latter has always, along with disease, controlled the planetary population and pollution, both of which are now among our most pressing problems. Throw in climate change and we are in real trouble; the kind that only the next mass extinction will cure; the hard way.

Archived