Chapala.com Webboard

Past Visa Credit

Ajijic

This topic gets covered often so here is my summary and the experience of my wife who is a facilitator although not in Chapala. Therefore, I realize this may not apply at every INM office but it does in many. I am also using the FM-2/3 terminology for simplicity.

At the end of the four years total (a combination of FM-3 and FM-2 or all FM-2 or all FM-3 with exceptions noted), you may then request a change to Permanent Resident visa based on four years residency and not have to prove income. You can not have a break in service meaning a visa expired; all renewals must have been done on time. If the word "Regularization" appears (meaning you reached 5 years and started over) they only count time since the regularization plus time on current visas towards Permanent Resident. In a few cases the word "PERMANENCIA" on the Immigration computer system comes up (rarely but we have seen it) as in reference to when one reached five years on a past FM-2/3 and renewed they will count all past visa time towards a Permanent Resident visa. This is true to some who had the old book system.In summary, if in doubt ask INM or Spencer as there are variables and after all this is Mexico.

if you have a 3 on the back of your Non-immigrante (FM-3) or Immigrante (FM-2) card you must become a Permanent resident when that card expires or leave the country and start over. The "3" means 3 renewals totaling 4 years. In many places that renewal can only be initiated on the date of expiration or closest business day prior. remember it is based on 4 years; hence, the need to wait until expiration date.

If you have a "4" on the back of your visa at least some INM offices you can change now to Permanent Resident and not wait for expiration date. No financial information is needed.

Note, if you are renewing now with a "1" on the back of your card, you renew and pay for 2 more years. If you have a "2" on the back of your card, meaning 2 renewals, you pay for one more year as a Temporary Resident.

Any time you may move directly yo Permanent Resident without waiting 4 years by submitting financials including bank statements and supporting documents. In doing so some INM offices ask that every page must be translated by a CERTIFIED translator. And while some consulates will consider investments, home ownership in Mexico etc most INM offices will only consider pension income supported bty bank statements and letters from pension source or income tax statements etc. In SMA and as per Hotline, only pension income is to be counted until such time as the "point" system is introduced.

Note, for a couple, if only one can prove the income, that works too. Once, one person in the couple gets their PR / TR visa their spouse applies under the family category and no financials required. This rule can also apply to children.

This topic gets covered often so here is my summary and the experience of my wife who is a facilitator although not in Chapala. Therefore, I realize this may not apply at every INM office but it does in many. I am also using the FM-2/3 terminology for simplicity.

At the end of the four years total (a combination of FM-3 and FM-2 or all FM-2 or all FM-3 with exceptions noted), you may then request a change to Permanent Resident visa based on four years residency and not have to prove income. You can not have a break in service meaning a visa expired; all renewals must have been done on time. If the word "Regularization" appears (meaning you reached 5 years and started over) they only count time since the regularization plus time on current visas towards Permanent Resident. In a few cases the word "PERMANENCIA" on the Immigration computer system comes up (rarely but we have seen it) as in reference to when one reached five years on a past FM-2/3 and renewed they will count all past visa time towards a Permanent Resident visa. This is true to some who had the old book system.In summary, if in doubt ask INM or Spencer as there are variables and after all this is Mexico.

if you have a 3 on the back of your Non-immigrante (FM-3) or Immigrante (FM-2) card you must become a Permanent resident when that card expires or leave the country and start over. The "3" means 3 renewals totaling 4 years. In many places that renewal can only be initiated on the date of expiration or closest business day prior. remember it is based on 4 years; hence, the need to wait until expiration date.

If you have a "4" on the back of your visa at least some INM offices you can change now to Permanent Resident and not wait for expiration date. No financial information is needed.

Note, if you are renewing now with a "1" on the back of your card, you renew and pay for 2 more years. If you have a "2" on the back of your card, meaning 2 renewals, you pay for one more year as a Temporary Resident.

Any time you may move directly yo Permanent Resident without waiting 4 years by submitting financials including bank statements and supporting documents. In doing so some INM offices ask that every page must be translated by a CERTIFIED translator. And while some consulates will consider investments, home ownership in Mexico etc most INM offices will only consider pension income supported bty bank statements and letters from pension source or income tax statements etc. In SMA and as per Hotline, only pension income is to be counted until such time as the "point" system is introduced.

Note, for a couple, if only one can prove the income, that works too. Once, one person in the couple gets their PR / TR visa their spouse applies under the family category and no financials required. This rule can also apply to children.

Is there an age limit for children?

My new Residente Temporal card has a "1" on it and yet I received a renewal for 3 years (expiry date in 2016). Does that mean I get to renew it again as a Temporal and not have to go to Permanente in 2016?

Ezzie all the new TR visas appear to be showing this but when asked at INm they stated the expiration date is what matters. In your case 2016 and means no more INM nor payments. Considering how difficult it is for a Mexican to live in the US or Canada and while we have some "teething" pains we are happy to have this opportunity.

As to the question regarding children I am sorry I do not know. I would certainly no hesitate to say 18 though.

Family guidelines:

http://www.inm.gob.mx/static/Tramites_LM/Autorizacion_Visas_LM/Visa_unidad_familiar.pdf

John -Great to see you are back

Many are confused about their FM3 status

I was at INM Wed. My FM3 had Per 1 on the back- I'm renewing for 2 more years as Temporal- which means I can legally keep and drive my US Plated Car for 2 more years-

At the end of that period, I can Go Permanente WITHOUT FINANCIALS as we are automatically grandfathered into Permanente based on cumulative years in the country without a break in Visa Status.

You only need financials If you Jump to Permanente before your current Visa years have run their term.

Hopefully, within 2 years, Aduana will be some kind of Amparo in place on autos for people converting to Permanente Visas

Archived