Chapala.com Webboard

Bad News - Written bad news Aduana Residente Permanente

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I understand correctly the returno seguro is a special permit you can apply for once your car has become illegal because of your change of status. The permit gives you 3 to 5 days to return the car to the border so you can drive the car during that period.

You have to apply for it so unless you already have an illegal car I would return the car to the border before it is illegal. Meanwhile I would not drive the car if it is illegal.

You know what fun all these permits are to get...

Sooooooo......since I have a "1" on the back of my FM3 (2nd time around), when I renew in December, I can go temporary for 3 more years and keep my car here. Right? In 3 years, when I HAVE to go permanent, the car will be used up and I'll feel better about giving it to my kid.

We live outside of town and need 2 vehicles. A good used car is at least $125,000.00 pesos. That's $250,000.00 pesos that we don't have just laying around.

On the other hand, in 3 more years one or the other of us might have to quit driving.....a lot can happen.

<quote> Residente permanente cannot import foreign plated vehicles</quote>

Are you saying that if we go permanente we are not allowed to import our car?

I am not saying that, aduana is, so if you go to the border with your car ready to move to Mexico you may find you will be denied an import permit and be stuck at the border having to make other plans.

Was the question about importing the car temporarily or nationalizing it once you become permanent?

You cannot import it temporarily if you are a Residente Permanente. You can nationalized it but they are pitfalls . You should also check with the insurrance company you will use if you nationalize the car. Our insurrance agent advised us not to nationalize the car. He told us that the company frowned upon nationalized cars as there are a lot of problems with nationalized car so check with the insurrance company to hear what they have to say and then take a decision. We went to the border and sold the truck.

Was the question about importing the car temporarily or nationalizing it once you become permanent?

He's saying that Aduana says no foreign cars can be nationalized anymore. So if you go permanente in a year or six months or whenever, you cannot import and nationalize your car.

There is nothing definitive yet as regards residente temporal, we only received the notification today for 3 permanente clients, it is possible but not likely that they may draft new rules not allowing temporal, however that would go against the spirit of their current policy.

He's saying that Aduana says no foreign cars can be nationalized anymore. So if you go permanente in a year or six months or whenever, you cannot import and nationalize your car.

I did not say no nationalization, I said no temporary import permits for permanentes nor the extension after the permit expires and for those who have vehicles they, per aduana´s reasoning are now not legally able to be driven in Mexico.

We were told that insurrance company do not like to insurre them so check with the insurrance you will be using. Apparently there are problems with stolen cars that have been nationalized and some of the papers that you receive when the car is nationalize if you cannationalize it are phony papers as a result some ins.companies do not want to bother with nationalized cars.

The system is acting up and will not let me edit as it says that my thread is empty and then posts an empty posts..

I meant to sat that some insurrance companiesdo not like nationalized car so you have to make sure you do not have a problem insurring the car before you get it nationalized.

And then if you read the fine print in the policies many only pay for total loss or theft 60% of the value and that is after applying your deductible.

The system is acting up and will not let me edit as it says that my thread is empty and then posts an empty posts..

I meant to sat that some insurrance companiesdo not like nationalized car so you have to make sure you do not have a problem insurring the car before you get it nationalized.

We checked with our agent, Jesus Tejeda, and as we have owned our vehicle from day one and have the original invoice, he says he can insure it. But I think if the vehicle came in used and has no clear paper trail, he cannot insure it.

I did not say no nationalization, I said no temporary import permits for permanentes nor the extension after the permit expires and for those who have vehicles they, per aduana´s reasoning are now not legally able to be driven in Mexico.

Just to be clear ( for me) If I become permanenet say next month...any car I own right now, if under the Nafta agreement , can be nationalized. I know G and J cars are out of the question. BUT if I as a permanente, want to import a new car , even Nafta approved , I cannot import and nationalize it??

What is the approximate cost of tolls to McAllen? Is anyone interested in caravanning to San Antonio (Carmax) in June? What is about a midway point with a decent hotel between here and McAllen? Thanks for the information .

If you go by way of Pharr, 660 miles, you can easily make McAllen in a day. We do it all the time.

CarMax is only interested in pristine, late model cars. You'll take a bath there and a worse bath selling it anywhere else.

As far as nationalizations, I strongly advise against it.

The decision came from the national aduana office in Mexico City, they are the ones that respond to all vehicle notifications and whom with we have fought with in the past to get people´s deposits back as well as letters verifying that people´s deposits will stay in the system due to properly notifying when they get a new immigration document. They are the authority.

Archived