Chapala.com Webboard

Disenos Exclusivos on Carretera Oriente

Anyone have an experience they can share? Friends of mine had some work done by this leather shop. The work was only 3 days to a week after promised, not bad turn around time. Friends are very pleased with the work and I agree, very nice work.

A couple of months ago I went into the shop to ask for a quote. Was told to come back in a month, it'd only take 3 days otherwise a week. I went back a month later, was asked to come back the following week. Went back the following week to place the order, was kind of asked to come back but explained we've now returned when he requested. Our order was taken, lots of details. Yes, yes can do no problem, whatever you want I can do it. Told to come back in 8 days, the following week. Went back expecting to need to return in 3-8 days but was asked to wait 15 days more. After a week, I called to check on the order, he asked me to come in today. Went in today, still nothing. Said the order was sent out to someone who does work for him in Guadalajara. I'm thinking, there are so many details how are all these things going to be passed on to someone that's not here? I asked why he didn't tell me he couldn't fill the order? He said he could, do I want my deposit back? I said no. Asked me to come back next Wednesday. I said, "No, Monday as promised." Knowing full well this isn't going well and I'm wondering if he'll fill the order? I don't know what to think. He asked again, putting his hand in his pocket stating he'd return my deposit, what do I want to do? I said I wanted the purses not the deposit. He said to come back on Monday.

Sorry, just venting. This reminds me of the carpenter we worked with, horrible experience. I'm just wondered if anyone else had an experience with this shop and is it normal to be pushed so far out? Does he not want the work? I can look somewhere else although don't know where but would rather know that yes, he'll do the work to our satisfaction but it may take some time. I'm hoping. Viva Mexico!!!!

We had the same experience with this guy. Our daughter, in Germany, graduated nautical school with her master's license. We were sending her some binoculars and wanted a leather strap for them with her name. We got the same run-around- one week, 3 more days, tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow. After asking for our deposit back, he did get it finished the next day, but the gift arrived several weeks late. We will never use him again.

I don't mind waiting if I know approximately how long which is the reason for asking here. Today was really disappointing, he asked we come in to take a look then said he sent it out. Thought he'd have something here today to show us but didn't have a chance. Give him until next Wednesday. When I went in for a quote, he didn't want me to use his competitor over the hill that was at the Chili Cookoff. Told me the guy sent out the work out of state, didn't make it in house like they do but turns around and does it himself? I'm shocked. Probably was not good that I got a little mad and told him emphatically, "NO, MONDAY, as he said, I've been waiting a long time!" lolololol I wish I knew when and if they would be done, so I can not come in and pick them up and make him wish I'd come in and pay. lolol We passed the birthday deadline a week ago.

He told me he sent it out cause he's busy making jackets...we'll, why didn't he say that before that he couldn't do it?!?!?! Excuses is right. It's these types that I don't get. My husband thinks he'll get them done but probably will have to make adjustments since he sent them out and I can't go in to supervise. He's got pictures and material. We picked out hardware in his store. He just said it was sent to someone who does work for him in Guadalajara. UGH! With these types, it doesn't help to get mad and if you're nice, they think you're a pushover and will just take even more time. Either way, it's a lose lose for buyer because while we wait, we pull our hair out trying to motivate them. And it's not that they can't do the work. Maybe I should go in Friday and make sure they're working on it. Keep going back. He also raised his quote from the initial quote when we placed the order, I made him write it down, which is fine because it's a knock off with changes that we want and I can't afford an original(which I didn't tell him) Why didn't he send his jackets out and work on my purses?!?

This shop has been unreliable for a very long time, ever since they moved to Ajijic from Chapala in fact. In my opinion any way you try to motivate them is a waste of your good time. Unfortunately short of going into Tlaquepaque I don't know of anywhere else. Anyone have any alternative suggestions for small leather goods?

Thank you Bandol, yes, any other recommendations? I wonder if I kept the flyer for the other leather place that was represented at the Chili Cook off????? I suppose come next Wednesday, if it's not done, I'll take my money back because he's already proved to me that he doesn't want to do it. The first week I was forgiving, he'd said he'd took a big order over the weekend when we showed up and wanted me to come back in a month! Which I'd already done. Then, when I came back a week later said he hadn't had time to even find the leather/colors we wanted to give him 15 days to do the job calmly. I said I'll check back in 5, but waited till Monday, gave him 8. So actually, it hasn't been 15 days yet. That'll be the end of the month and will write an update if he comes through by next Wednesday.

homesweethome, he offered to give back the deposite 2 xs. he knew you wouldnt take it back, he has expats down to a business science. in the old days, they would never offer a refund, they figured you would leave by april. maybe he was testing you, as he didnt put the cash on the table. (?? did he??). if you said "yes i will take deposite", he may have said "comeback for money another day, dont have enough". look, he has it all over you, whats to "get"? i dont mean to be rude, but the writting was on the walls during encounter #2. go back for the $$ if its convenient, then cancel the wedding. maybe he will pay you to go away. thats what he wants, its clear to me. let us know what happened. (he was ok w/your friend as there wasnt much business. yes i know what is is to want something really bad, its hard to let go. rule w/me? 2 strikes then im gone, anywhere anytime in the world. thats bennies global wisdom for today).

No there is always a lot of business BUT are they leaving. Our friends are moving soon...This is what I'm thinking, he asked originally if we lived here? I'm thinking he's pushing orders ahead for folks that ARE leaving maybe. Since I live here, mine keeps getting pushed back. But he said he sent it out, that it'll be here by next Wednesday. I said make it Monday. I'm with you that it definitely does appear he doesn't want to do it by offering the deposit back. Doesn't want to deal with the confrontation. Ok, I'm willing to go and get my deposit but then what? Any suggestions on where to go? Until I know of another place, what do I have to lose, besides my hair? I think he'll get to it but WHEN?! I may be gringa but gringa knows how some of these people operate. Manana. Like the guy who built our windows, and the metal worker for the decorative bars and doors, and the guy throwing the cement on the pool. They all make you want to pull your hair out! lololol The carpenter was the absolute tops! It just proves, don't be nice but don't be too mean either. Don't be in a hurry. Let's hope he doesn't take another month to finish...my little yorkie's hot in the current tote. I'm not just asking for a simple purse, it's a dog carrier purse.

If you drive through Ajijic on the carratera going towards Joco, his shop is on the left side, a gym nearby and there's a farmacia right across the street. He's got the stuff to do the work, obviously capable...you'd think he'd figure out the expats and tell them real time instead of Mexican!!!

http://www.lakesideguide.tv/shopping/ajijic/disenos-exclusivos-en-piel

Thanks wheels, so is there any trick to getting the order done? Is a month out norm or no telling? I'm not sure when to check next. I don't want to check too often, so he's mad, nor do I want to be forgotten. Even with all these other jobs we've had done on our house, I'm not sure what gets the job done. My husband would get so ticked off, I'd think, no better lighten up. We'd be nice, cause I thought we'd better be nice, then were told, no you don't do that either. They think you're a pushover. I've been here 9 years and although I know it's typical to do what's in front of you, I'm just not sure what to do. 3 years in our house and the welder never did the screens on our doors, finally gave up. Window springs are a joke. At least the pool looks good, lol And the good news, is that once you finally get rid of the guys, 2 months later you forget all about it. My husband says if I go in next week and he still has nothing to show me, to get my deposit back...I just don't know where else to go. I'm willing to drive to Tlaquepaque or Tonala but what if it's the same story there? ick...maybe I'll settle for a pleather purse from the US and have a snowbird bring one down in the fall. ugh

homesweethome, hes not marrying you, & he kept the ring. most girls want the ring, for the wasted time. i doute he will give it back, he knows you cant stay away. looks to me by your history, that you somehow pick the wrong men. they are all the same. maybe its time to rise up & have higher expectations? they are out there, but remember you have to behave differently too. looks like your not ready to break off the affair. (??) when you get the deposite back, or @least tried, then we can move on. best to buy a bag ready made. btw, how much % deposite did you give towards to total charge?

I bought a wallet for my husband at this place (from his in-stock items). Nothing about it is special.

Why don't you open an EBay account? Tons of purses and pocketbooks to choose from in all price ranges. I have the items I buy on EBay sent U.S. Postal Service lst class International directly to our Ajijic post office. No duties. No package ever went "lost."

Lexy

PS Oh, but you were ordering a special tote for your dog? I'm not sure what EBay has for Fidos

I bought a leather carrying case and brought it back for him to fix something on it and he told me to comeback several days later, when we did it was gone. He told me someone stole it but I think he sold it. So he made another one, we waited and waited. Never back again.

There are some very nice leather shops in Tlaquepaque.

Lexy, if you've had good luck having things sent down, then that's great. We've had things sit at customs.

I wonder what kind of experience virgogirl had there, since that's who recommended the place...even though I'd asked at the bottom of that particular thread, I should have started a new one, like this, asking for references...I'm going to hope for the best.

http://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?showtopic=42113&p=325629

Lexy, if you've had good luck having things sent down, then that's great. We've had things sit at customs.

I have all packages sent to me from the States mailed by the U.S. Postal Service lst Class International.

Only once did I have a package sent by UPS--it cost me a custom fee of $75 USD, which was more than the item in the package. Never again. Check out USPS International.

And everybody else, forgive me for going off topic.

Lexy

Oh ssssooooooooooo sorry that I mentioned this place to the OP. It is just that I live nearby there and spotted the place. At that time, I had never even been in there, just spotted it, that's all.

Last week though, I did go in to ask them to make me a custom watchband for a very unique watch my son gave me over the easter vacation. The guy turned down the work.

Again, sorry you are having such a time with these fools.

your husband is a smart person, follow his advice, get the $ back. tell us how it went. you have spent too much time thinking about the leather man.

I had a very bad experience with him. He still has 400 pesos of mine I will never get back. He asked to borrow a purse I had to copy. I agreed and said I loved my purse and would like a couple more, so I was willing to part with it for a day. He asked for a deposit for materials. I asked for a reciept and he said, what for? I have your purse..... I will have the first copy ready tomorrow. Four weeks later I got my purse back and one of the purses he was supposed to make. I gave up going back and asking for the others. He toggled between saying, "What purse?" and "Come back tomorrow". I would not recommend him and I would never give him an advance on anything.

2 yrs ago i had a dark straw like basket (shoulder bag) custom made from the lady @ the wendsay market. first i bought a smaller version. then i had another mexican vendor, explain to her that i wanted larger one in addition, same color, i would return next week. no deposite was required. he gave me his cell phone #. (took my telephone as well). one week later he called me, "the cafe bolsa is ready, you can pickup, lady is in the market". i came over, paid 75 pesos, still have the bag. thats how to do business. its a 2 way street.

Wouldn't it be nice if things always went so smoothly as with the basket lady? This is Mexico and we aren't talking about a 75 pesos basket from a street vendor. What works for one guy doesn't always work for the other and that's what i'm trying to figure out with the leather guy. Are the passive people given priority and better service than the type A? That's what I'm thinking right now but idk...i can't stress about it.

We drove around until I found the front door I wanted made, took a picture into the office of our builder. Who'd a thought that their metal worker made it? i had a semi duplicate made for our house with matching decorative window bars, and gates for the front wall. He was just as much of a pill to work with as the window guy, and the carpenter even worse. If we only expected everyone to do business like the basket weaver, who has no overhead, there would be no Mexico. Have you never lost your hair during the a visa process, ordering parts for a car, or so many other things we take for granted for that come so easily in modern countries. Bennie, you earned it, "give me a break!"

If anyone can recommend a better leather purse maker, please do. From reading these experiences and thinking about what he's said, i may have to wait another month but time will tell. Now that i know that timing is a major fault for this guy, i won't lose any hair over it. I really want him to do the job.

Archived