Chapala.com Webboard

Confiscated cars

Wheels

How long do they keep your car if confiscated because of fraudulent paperwork? Do you need a lawyer? are charges filed against you? How have other retrieved their car?? at what costs??

My friend is getting her car nationalized by a local company but is really scared now that cars are starting to be confiscated.....

What are the ramifications???

I feel she should just count that as lost money and go forward.

It depends. I have come across this issue professionally. Fraudulent pedimentos are becoming very common so the prosecutor is aware of the fact and I haven't seen people prosecuted provided they make a proper declaration and provide some sort of proof that they were an innocent party and didn't commit the fraud.

The issue comes up when one goes to get the Jalisco plates and the documents are verified, it is there that people are arrested and their cars impounded. It is best to not go there unless you have verified your paperwork beforehand to avoid being detained and having your car impounded. If you have doubts do not go, they are not going to people's homes and the issue only arises when the questionable documents are presented to get license plates.

Having your vehicle released is a matter of providing the original title to prove the vehicle is yours and a translation from an official translator as well as the document authenticity verification done by the prosecutors office which is taking 2 weeks at present to do and then showing that the party can legally drive the vehicle which means presenting the original import permit and immigration document which will validate an expired permit.

It is probably best to have an attorney represent someone in this situation as there is the language issue as well as the issue of having an advocate who can frame the issues properly and make the legal arguments in the client's favor to the prosecutors office. Release of a vehicle, assuming all release prerequisites are done may take 2 to 3 weeks due to required procedures. Towing costs and for storage will probably run around $2,000 pesos. You can give someone power of attorney to give declarations and handle the release of the vehicle to avoid multiple trips to Guadalajara and the notarios charge $3,000 pesos for the power of attorney. If I have to spring you from jail or avoid you from being detained and make it so you get to sleep in your own bed that night you will be parting with $6,000 to $10,000 pesos minimum depending on how much time is spent and the circumstances. When called I usually arrive within the hour as with any detention to nip things in the bud and so that you have your advocate there and are never alone. All follow up will run minimum $1,000 pesos an hour and follow up and declarations will be 3 to 4 more hours.

Archived