Chapala.com Webboard

mini-split unit

I remember you writing about this before. Today, I picked up a little portable evaporative cooler made by honeywell. I just am so tired of contractors in the house that I figured this would do. Works like a champ for a small room, like a bedroom. 1,699. at Sorianas.

However, glad to have the number for the installer. I am sure he could install an evaporative cooler as well.

Me, too. Got a portable Honeywell at Costco a couple of weeks ago for less than 3000. Cools a large area and drinks water like my dogs. Thank goodness mine has a 20 liter reservoir, which still needs to be refilled everyday. I am more than happy with it.

Sadly, I think we are getting negative reviews on portable swamp coolers from 1997 and there have been tons of advancements in them in the last 16 years. I love mine. Keeps the inside temp 10 to 15 degrees below outside temp if used properly. Just like the instructions told me it would

Another cooling thought: We just had our roof repaired, complete with whatever it took. It used to be the classic dark terracotta. We decided to paint it white. It's making a huge difference in the house temperature. We do have thick walls per the usual Mexican construction style, but by this time last year when the temps. hit the nineties, it was much less comfortable than it is now.

We only cool the bedroom with the mini split and deal with the rest of the house with some standing fans as needed.

I ordered a two ton hot and cold mini split from Electroventa today. 9300 pesos plus installation to be determined by work involved. The unit will cool (I hope) my kitchen den living and dining rooms. About 900sqft. Price is roughly twice the cost of two 1 ton units so I don't think it to bad..

Don't know how far my solar system (12, 128W panels)will go toward the operational costs, however, I know I can kiss good bye my 160-200 pesos per period.

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-time="1366577808" data-cid="334906" data-author="Hernan Santiago"><p>Me, too. Got a portable Honeywell at Costco a couple of weeks ago for less than 3000. Cools a large area and drinks water like my dogs. Thank goodness mine has a 20 liter reservoir, which still needs to be refilled everyday. I am more than happy with it.<br />Sadly, I think we are getting negative reviews on portable swamp coolers from 1997 and there have been tons of advancements in them in the last 16 years. I love mine. Keeps the inside temp 10 to 15 degrees below outside temp if used properly. Just like the instructions told me it would</p></blockquote><br />

Remember Herman, that for this cooler to work best, you need to feed the evaporative cooler with dry air. The air is dry outside. It would be inside for a little while too, but soon the humidity will creep up, higher and higher, unless you draw the air from outside.<br /><br />

This afternoon, as I write this the humidity outside my house is about 27%. My large evaporative cooler brings the air in dropping the temperature by 18 to 22 degrees F to about 64 F as it enters and I am keeping the temperature in my house at 75 to 77 F with a humidity of approximately 40%<br /><br />

When it comes to measuring humidity, I quote approximate readings, because although the meters say the % I quoted above, I don't know how accurate they are.<br /><br />

So far where I live (at least) an evaporative cooler uses about 1/4 to 1/6 of the power that an AC would.<br /><br />

Y porque soy codo (And because I am cheap) I am very happy with the results

The type of cooling one uses depends upon one's personal situation and their own personal preferences. Here in Phoenix, we relied upon the evaporative coolers for years. It is hot and dry hear almost all of the time. But when the city switched us from well water to river water, the salt just ate up the machines.

Before you invest in any system, evaluate your personal situation. If you live in an area with limited water, you probably would do better with the air conditioning.

Archived