Chapala.com Webboard

mini-split unit

We got ours at Home Depot on Lopez Mateo last week. Actually had it installed today. We got prices from 4 different installers. 3 of them would only install the unit and not repair the concrete after. There's a lot of breaking of concrete. Then we would've need to get an electrician to install the 220V. We finally decided to go with a contractor who could do the entire job. Our bedroom is nice and cool tonite. The workers will be back tomorrow to finish the patching of the concrete.

We live in a gated community and he has done much work here and everyone has been very happy with his work. Speaks great English.

Installer

Juan Gilberto Higuera Rivera

TLCJG@prodigy.net.mx

331-246-0372

According to http://chapalaweather.net/ the high temperature today was 93 F and the humidity 11%. What on earth would you want an AC for? They both cool the air and lower the humidity. By running an evaporative cooler on low, I was able to cool the whole house (more than 4000 SF) using only 550 watts per hour and slightly increase the humidity. An AC uses many times that much and makes the very dry air even drier.

You want to condition the air to a temperature and humidity that best meets your needs. The AC costs many times more to operate, costs more to purchase and makes the already very dry air even drier.

Warning. Do not place a humidifier in the center of the room and expect it to cool said room. Rather place the same unit on the wall or ceiling drawing in the very dry outside air, cooling it as it adds humidity to said air. Today, the temperature entering my house was 65-68 and the house humidity never went over 38%.

To get the same cooling power with an AC when the air is so dry would have cost much much more.

According to http://chapalaweather.net/ the high temperature today was 93 F and the humidity 11%. What on earth would you want an AC for? They both cool the air and lower the humidity. By running an evaporative cooler on low, I was able to cool the whole house (more than 4000 SF) using only 550 watts per hour and slightly increase the humidity. An AC uses many times that much and makes the very dry air even drier.

You want to condition the air to a temperature and humidity that best meets your needs. The AC costs many times more to operate, costs more to purchase and makes the already very dry air even drier.

Warning. Do not place a humidifier in the center of the room and expect it to cool said room. Rather place the same unit on the wall or ceiling drawing in the very dry outside air, cooling it as it adds humidity to said air. Today, the temperature entering my house was 65-68 and the house humidity never went over 38%.

To get the same cooling power with an AC when the air is so dry would have cost much much more.

I remember you writing about this before. Today, I picked up a little portable evaporative cooler made by honeywell. I just am so tired of contractors in the house that I figured this would do. Works like a champ for a small room, like a bedroom. 1,699. at Sorianas.

However, glad to have the number for the installer. I am sure he could install an evaporative cooler as well.

I saw some mini-splits for sale at the local Walmart a few days ago. No idea if it's the "best place" to buy. They are always available in other locations this time of year.

Can't be difficult to find someone to install if that's the way you want to go with things.

Oh Pete, not that again! LOL!

We purchased from and had our minisplit installed by Electroventa this year in the bedroom. I can live with the heat during the day, but like to sleep cool. Checked around and it was just as reasonable as others; they did a good job and we're happy.

We like to deal with locals, since they're there if you need them.

We have used an evaporative cooler on our roof for many, many years and as Johanson has written before, it works wonderfully in the low humidity of the hottest months. Fortunately, we have a very handy little skylight for the rooftop version. Once the rains come, forget it!!

I think we are now on our 4th or 5th one, tho they last for years. Our first one we purchased somewhere in GDL; it was the largest and cooled our entire (large) home. Since then we have picked up some smaller ones (some used) and they work well if we close off the less used rooms. During the hottest months, they seem to raise our electric bill about $200-$300. To us it is definitely worth that to be so cool and comfortable!!

However, we have also found that the indoor, room evaporative coolers that sit on the floor accomplish very little and are a waste of time and money. We gave up on THEM a long time ago. Just one opinion but based on experience.

But don't forget that you need to leave a few windows open for the incoming cool air to escape.

We used Jose Alfredo Cabrera from Connect Solutions in Chapala. speaks some English and answers his email.

alfredo.cabrero@connectsoluciones.com

cell: 331-292-3394

web site: www.connectsoluciones.com

We bought 2 one ton Mirage Absolut units for 2 bedrooms. Use them last night. NICE !

He brings the unit and installs and he will run a line to your meter if necessary.

Where is the best place to purchase mini-split unit & who to use for installation. Thanks!

Home Depot is advertising free installation (basic) until April 24.

5,999p installed for an LG 220V or 110V 12,000 BTU (1 ton)

I do not know who their local installer is.

I am getting a similar Mirage unit installed for 5,800p.

Going rate is $6,000 pesos installed for a Mirage Minisplit 220v 1 ton. Much better to have AC, keep the windows closed and keep the dust and bobos / bugs out!

About five years ago we purchased a pair of swamp coolers. Totally useless. We ended up selling them. Spencer is correct. AC reduces dramatically the bugs and the dust.

The notion (promulgated in person here and on a multitude of web sites) that in Ajijic one never needs AC is pure fantasy.

Oh, forgot to mention, price I have paid includes function as a heater as well so when the cold comes you won't freeze.

They make 120vt units which will heat and cool a small room. Saves on wiring costs.

Considering the climate here, I would think a small unit would be all that you need. I heated and cooled a 22X22' garage in ABQ and the heat was a lot worse there.

I agree that some houses and some people need A/C and some need none. We are not retired and have our office, with several computers, in our home. Before we put in our rooftop evaporative cooler, the computers kept overheating and crashing. For us, the evap cooler was sufficient to eliminate that problem and keep us comfortable. However, the last couple of years have seemed hotter (and sooner) than in years past.

Home Depot is advertising free installation (basic) until April 24.

5,999p installed for an LG 220V or 110V 12,000 BTU (1 ton)

I do not know who their local installer is.

I am getting a similar Mirage unit installed for 5,800p.

home Depot told us the free install is for Guadalajara only, not Ajijic. Is the 5800 pesos for the install only?

Oh, forgot to mention, price I have paid includes function as a heater as well so when the cold comes you won't freeze.

Who, and where? Can you give a name and number?

I bought my mini split at the appliance store in Riberas near the 7 11. They gave me the name of the installer who did everything. Was very happy with unit and service.

I also use swamp cooler but to add humidity to the living room as mini split is in the bed room.

Folks: You have me saying that an evaporation cooler is best and some others saying that a refrigeration A/C is the only way too go. The truth is what you need may be one of the above or the other or a combination of the two.

Folks: What you are trying to do, is to make the air in your home more comfortable. And your needs may be different than mine or someone else posting a very different opinion. The trouble is the typical lakeside visitor only thinks of temperature. While in reality one must also consider the humidity which is measured by a humidity meter (hygrometer). The trouble is most of us have no idea what the humidity is or what makes us most comfortable. In fact I bet almost none of you have a hygrometer both inside and outside your house. (I do, but then again I'm weird)

My home is farther away from the lake than most (upper Ajijic) therefore chances are my humidity is slightly lower than those who live closest to the lake. Right now, the outside air humidity up here is 34%, while the local weather station which is much closer to the lake has a relative humidity of 43%.

In my case, when it's too hot the outside air humidity is almost always lower than what I like. So I am able to use the much more economical alternative to cool my house, the evaporation cooler. Perhaps in your case, if you live close to the lake the humidity will not be ideal for the use of an evaporation cooler all of the time.

I bet if I lived closer to the lake I would have a large evaporative cooler and perhaps a mini-split in my office-bedroom to lower both the temp and humidity when necessary.

I wish you luck in choosing that which system is best for you.

PS: If you can use an evaporation cooler rather than a refrigeration AC, your electrical usage will be much much less!

I had a friend back in the states who was happiest when it was hot and humid. Florida was his favorite place. No thanks.

The point is: our bodies are different and we want to be comfortable, which means different things to different people.

I'm comfortable when it's cool and dry. Now that our solar system is working happily on the roof, I don't care if my mini-split is going all night long! They finally got the prices down on the solar systems to the point where it pays off before I'm likely to expire.

Archived