Chapala.com Webboard

Need FMM form if driving to states and flying back?

It is best to get it, while you might not need it, proof of your entries and exits could be an issue in the future and in the past has caused problems in your situation

It is best to get it, while you might not need it, proof of your entries and exits could be an issue in the future and in the past has caused problems in your situation

Can I only get the form at the INM booth at the airport?

Muchas gracias, Spencer

You will need to find and stop at INM before you cross the border northbound. It may be in the southbound side and a bit inconvenient at some crossings, but that is where you get the FMM and get stamped out of Mexico. At some crossings, you may have to ask them to remove a barrier so you can cross to the southbound lane, then do a retorno when your business is done.

Do not forget to also go to Banjercito to have your car sticker removed and receipted.

Yes...They are available at the Guad airport.. OR .. you can get one on your flight back to Guad..In fact I always get 2-3 blank ones on my flights down there...Just in case I lose mine I can fill out the new one with all my original flight info but without the immingration stamp..then you can scribble some stuff where the stamp goes, then wash and rub it until it looks like it went thru the wash..All the correct info in in the immigration computer and they accept your error in accidently washing it. They never see it again anyway as it is stapled to your airline boarding pass by the counter agent when you check-in for your flight back North..

Yes...They are available at the Guad airport.. OR .. you can get one on your flight back to Guad..In fact I always get 2-3 blank ones on my flights down there...Just in case I lose mine I can fill out the new one with all my original flight info but without the immingration stamp..then you can scribble some stuff where the stamp goes, then wash and rub it until it looks like it went thru the wash..All the correct info in in the immigration computer and they accept your error in accidently washing it. They never see it again anyway as it is stapled to your airline boarding pass by the counter agent when you check-in for your flight back North..

I am driving north and flying south back to Guad...does this change any info you have provided?

Muchas gracias.

There are usually 4 places where you can get an immigration document at the border / border area:

1) Airport

2) Vehicle checkpoints (usually 20km from the border)

3) Right at the border crossing

4) End of free trade zone

I am going to be driving to the states, turning in my TIP to sell my car and then flying back to Guad. Will I need to get the FMM form for entry back in Mexico?

Muchas gracias

The answer may vary depending upon your current visa status, For example, it is my understanding that if you are in the process to convert to Permanente, then your application will be canceled if you obtain a FMM during this time,

You don't actually come in as a tourist ... you use the FMM as a record of your movement in/out of Mexico.

If you flew out you would use an FMM and return part of it on your return. Just record keeping which you are supposed to do with any visa

Read this thread:

http://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?showtopic=43169

Para #2:

"One important item is that if they find that you left or entered as a tourist while your papers are in process then they will cancel your papers in process so for those who do not want to spend the time or money for a travel letter, beware of being penny wise and pound foolish."

If you are driving to US via Laredo, the easiest place to pick up, fill in, and get your FMM stamped on the way out of Mexico is at the Columbia Bridge crossing. They have a booth set up before the bridge where you hand in your car permit and then you can turn into the side road that goes directly to the large Immigration building.

Everything that you need will be at that building.

Main crossing at Laredo is very difficult as Immigration office is on the wrong side of the road so you end up having to do 2 u-turns on the bridge in trafffic.

Archived