Chapala.com Webboard

MlS Listings & Sales

Unless you have a good relationship with a realtor it is very difficult to get stat's on how may listings there are on the market and how many sales have been made YTD. Does anyone have some reliable information on the numbers of MLS listings there are in 2013 as compared to 2012. I have heard there were 1500 listings YTD in 2013 as compared to 500 YTD in 2012. Also I would like to kmow the number of sales YTD 2013 as compared YTD 2012

Last year there were around 190 sales. For this year up to now 69. That is including lots.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why should someone need a reason to want information?

Most people would like to know how good an investment is such as buying a house in case the house needs to be sold for medical reasons or one must move NOB.

It is very difficult for kids and grand kids to sell property in Mexico so leaving it to them is not smart because they will sell it for even less to get rid of it.

People can afford to hang onto property here because the taxes and maintenance are so low. If they were paying thousands of dollars a year for a property they want to sell, they would negotiate more but they are paying hundreds, not thousands so they hang onto it waiting for the best offer.

I agree. Its interesting and its data that is out there. The OP asked for info and either give it or don't. I would like to know.

By the way: I know three people who are leaving or have left mexico for health reasons in the past three months. In every case they priced their houses below the market value and 2 out of 3 took a loss. It is not true that most people would rather leave the house than "give it away". Many of us were in realestate prison in our NOB countries in the past 4 years or so and had to "give away" our homes there. Its not so shocking that prices have dropped here and I think that people are dreaming if they can't accept it. Prices have dropped significantly since I began looking in 2007/2008. Yes, there are those who won't budge and they may have their homes for sale for a long time. If you don't need/want the money immediatly the costs are low to carry the house while you wait for a rebound.

So far there have been 22 responses to this post and still no answer from harleybikelife as to why he wants or needs this information.

Why does anyone need to give a reason why he wants information? Is there a certain level required by you for a person to receive information? More importantly, why does the OP need to tell you why he wants the information?

That is close to 1000 houses for sale and doesn't include the ones for sale by owner or not listed on MLS. I imagine that would be more than an additional 500 houses so 1500 might be a low estimate.

I have no idea of a total for FSBO, etc., but there is an additional 100+ local properties on mlsmexico.com, tho some are duplicates of listings on the other MLS site and some are not.

Where does 506 become 1,000 or even 1,500. Must be your fantasy. The figures I gave are totally accurate from MLS. Why are you so confused? There were 1,100 houses on MLS in 2001 when I bought here.

There are very, very few houses that are FSBO's. You can't sell a FSBO in a low market. You NEED a qualified Realtor.

A friend had her place listed for month with a qualified realtor and got no bites. She listed it FSBO and sold it immediately and this was within the last few months. The majority of the real estate people here have never sold real estate before and don't know how to sell. They are order takers.

A friend had her place listed for month with a qualified realtor and got no bites. She listed it FSBO and sold it immediately and this was within the last few months. The majority of the real estate people here have never sold real estate before and don't know how to sell. They are order takers.

You are obviously wrong about RE people here. There ARE some highly qualified people here who worked in the States for many years as Realtors. That is not to say that there are not bad ones. All you have to do is look up the RE company, its agents and read their profile. One piece of advice for anyone listing a home here, DO NOT use a part time Realtor. They will not work as hard. Get references on your Realtor before listing.

You are obviously wrong about RE people here. There ARE some highly qualified people here who worked in the States for many years as Realtors. That is not to say that there are not bad ones. All you have to do is look up the RE company, its agents and read their profile. One piece of advice for anyone listing a home here, DO NOT use a part time Realtor. They will not work as hard. Get references on your Realtor before listing.

I assume you sell real estate. I have met very few real estate sales people I would consider good at selling and that is here or NOB. Most don't know how to qualify, ask questions or close. Most never learned anything about how to sell.

At the risk of getting crabbed at, I will post some thoughts. When looking to buy real estate, it is always important to assess the area well. There are many factors to consider such as location, the availability of services etc. It is also important to know if there are certain economic factors such as the opening or closing of a factory or some heavy industry. Assessing the market includes seeing how soft the market is. Biting on someone for asking questions is not productive.

I think people are forgetting an important demographic. The average age of the expat home owner here. I know many, many people who have lived here 8-12 years. They came here when they were in their early 60s and now.... they are in their 70s or 80s. Paying for medical, out of pocket, was OK 10 years ago..... but not so much now. A lot of the people I know who are selling and moving back "home" are leaving because of health and the desire to be near family as they become less independant. That is not for everyone, but I think its pretty common in retirement communities in Florida as well. It is this desire to return where you are from to die.

I hope to die here, where I am not rained on most of the year or frozen.... but who knows.

So.... don't blame it all on the immigration changes or economy. I think our first big wave of expats are just getting old.

Real estate agents are very similar the world over! Having sold and bought a few houses I realised that they are bored for the most part. The bottom line for most is the cash out which is natural enough. The punter or the buyer has a certain idea in their mind that the realter has to 'read'. He or she will either find something attractive or repulsive about a particular house and then when it suits them they then will put down the reddies if they feel it will work for them! The realter is just a middleman and they can only promote the property's good points and you the buyer has to find the pitfalls and ask questions, lots of questions. In discussion with several realters here in Ajijic I got the impression that caveat emptor is alive and well. I asked at the time if there were any unsavoury parts of town to be avoided, I was told yes there was but they didn't discuss it further other than saying that if I got warmer, read it as thinking of buying in a certain area that they would give it a thumbs up or down! I have been looking at the Lake area for a few years now and much as I really like it I'm still on the fence about buying here.

My experience is that some of the safest and most delightful areas in the lakeside area sometimes appear unsavory to visitors.

I would say that the second biggest cultural difference in home buying is trying to find the right "neighborhood" in a village.

The first is trying to guess at what the future holds for your investment.

No matter what else ...........buyer beware here. There are no disclosure laws such as they have in the states. Check out the neighborhood during the day, and again, at night; during the week and again, on weekends.

Good advice but there are virtually no zoning laws in Mexico. What looks like a family home today may become an iron shop, car repair or other commercial enterprise tomorrow.

Good advice but there are virtually no zoning laws in Mexico. What looks like a family home today may become an iron shop, car repair or other commercial enterprise tomorrow.

That's true in the village, but not in Gated Communities or Fraccs where control exists, especially in Gated Communities.

That's true in the village, but not in Gated Communities or Fraccs where control exists, especially in Gated Communities.

True. Although Brisas was an open fracc 1 1/2 years ago our by laws are for single family homes. Lots over 500m. No commercial or multifamily structures.

No matter were you live if you have a view think of what could happen to it if you have vacant fied around, look to what happened with El Dorado , they may have a nice view but they sure screwed up a few people who had a nice view before. Vacant lots should be suspect as anything could happen and one storey house could become two storeys if you are in the village. A house can be a party house , watch out for evento places..anything can happen , keep that in mind.

For those who want the security of "what you see is what you get", those gated communities fill the bill.

For everyone else.....beware of vacant lots next door or below the property. And, there's no protection against third story builders who apparently can "persuade" the folks at city hall to let them build whatever they want, wherever they want. Quite a few examples of this in Ajijic Village right now, sad to say.

Personally, I'd rather live with the latter than the former, regardless.

Actually the vast majority of Realtors that I know here HAVE sold Real Estate elsewhere. I have a friend who had her house FSBO andbafter two years gave it to a Realtor who sold it in 5 weeks at the price that it should have been listed at originally. I also have other friends who have run around just about every FSBO housenthey could find and were horrified at what people expect their properties to sell at. They eventually also went to a Realtor. It seems that Realtors have a bad rep here, but they are, or should be, more clued in to a realistic price for your property. It's convincing people what the realistic price is. I am an ex Realtor here and have sold Real Estate elsewhere and al we ever hear,mor heard in my case is the same "I paid this for it in 2003 and spent x amount on the property, so I need to get this amount to not lose money". Well is we were all able to end up like that, none of us would ever lose a penny.

Archived