Chapala.com Webboard

need declawed kitty

i NEED A DECLAWED KITTY CAT AT THE END OF THE MONTH FOR MY HUSBAND WITH ALZHEIMERS. hE CAN NO LONGER READ, GETS NOTHING OUT OF TV AND CAN PLAY NO GAMES.

H E LOVES CATS AND i THINK IT WOULD DO WONDERS FOR HIM TO HAVE A KITTY TO PET

AND WATCH PLAY cALL (045)331-340-6917.

Please do NOT declaw a cat..it is a major amputation of part of each toe. It is painful and dangerous and leaves the cat with no way to escape danger or defend itself. Even in the most vigilant homes a cat can escape. Most cats will never use their claws on their owners anyway. If you find one that is already declawed you must watch it like a hawk to make sure it can't get out, and with a person with Alzheimer's that can be problematic.

Look for an older cat that is spayed/neutered as they are much less likely to want to go exploring.

I am not being judgmental of the OP, I know how positive the effect of an animal can be for a person, especially one with a disease/illness. I've just seen and heard too many sad stories that ended with the cat dying.

I walked through a vets office in Phoenix and they were declawing a cat and they were using pliers to rip the claws out. My sisters cat was declawed and it got such bad infections.

Hopefully you will find one already done and the kitty forgets about it.

Scratching posts are an easy way to train them where to scratch.

Like some other postings, PLEASE DO NOT declaw kittens/cats.

Cats will always excape outside at some point mainly because they are very inquisitive. Declawed kittens/cats face a horrible and painful death if unable defend themselves, or to escape up a tree.

Declawing is pretty much an American thing, it's something people do for their own convenience without realizing what actually happens to their beloved cat. In England declawing is termed "inhumane" and "unnecessary mutilation." I agree. In many European countries it is illegal. I applaud their attitude

Declawing is not like a manicure. It is serious surgery. Your cat's claw is not a toenail. It is actually closely adhered to the bone. So closely adhered that to remove the claw, the last bone of your the cat's claw has to be removed. Declawing is actually an amputation of the last joint of your cat's "toes". When you envision that, it becomes clear why declawing is not a humane act. It is a painful surgery, with a painful recovery period. And remember that during the time of recuperation from the surgery your cat would still have to use its feet to walk, jump, and scratch in its litter box regardless of the pain it is experiencing. Wheelchairs and bedpans are not an option for a cat.

The following is a list of countries in which declawing cats is either illegal or considered extremely inhumane and only performed under extreme circumstances

• England Scotland Wales Italy Austria Switzerland Norway Sweden Ireland Denmark Finland Slovenia Brazil Australia
  • New Zealand Yugoslavia France Germany Bosnia Malta Netherlands Northern Ireland Portugal Belgium Israel

Dr Pepe is not next to the animal shelter, he is farther east towards Chapala next door to Cruz Azul Cement. He always has animals in need of a home. I have to add my two pesos worth about declawing also, we easily trained our cats to sit calmly and let me clip the sharp points off their claws every week to prevent getting caught on our clothes or furniture. If you know how far to clip and are careful it takes about a minute. They thought it was another form of affection and were very cooperative. Good luck with your husband, I hope the cat will bring him much joy.

What's WITH you people??? The lady asked for an ALREADY declawed cat. She has enough on her plate and didn't need you all coming down on her, especially since the topic is NOT whether or not to de-claw, but that she wants a cat for her ailing husband!

And the fact she's willing to take (1) an adult and (2) a declawed cat is a HUGE PLUS from the cat's side. Many peple don't want adults, and many more would not take a declawed cat for exactly the reasons some have voiced -- it can never be allowed to go outdoors safely.

While I don't support de-clawing either, I know there are some times when circumstances demand it, and can vouch (to Hensley) for the fact that the Ladron's do a magnificent job.

As for donbsea, my (not declawed) cats have never set foot outside the house in 10 years, so it certainly is not true that EVERY cat will escape. But I did years ago adopt a cat who'd been de-clawed BEFORE I got him, and he ran up trees like a pro.

I happen to personally know the cat at Dr. Pepe's, as well as the (unfortumate but good) reason she's there, and I truly hope the Corys take her home. She's never been outside in her life and will make a wonderful companion for the gentleman. Only caution is that I hope his wife is prepared to continue to love and care for Brandi as her husband's disease worsens.

To The Corys -- sent you a PM

Good point, Natasha. Thread wander is normal, but it seems that practically any topic can serve as a pulpit for the pros and cons.

The lady wanted an already de-clawed cat, so it's lucky for the cat in that condition. Very sad for the lady whose husband is cursed with that terrible disease. Hope the kitty brings him some comfort. I've heard that dogs and cats have been brought to elder care facilities by volunteers and bring much happiness to the residents.

I have had cats for forty plus years and I've been a Registered Nurse who has worked with elderly confused patients for the last ten years. Cats can scratch owners. This is especially true if someone or something in the environment startles them. It is just a natural reaction. Depending on the amount of confusion, many patients are not in a position to make rational decisions when it comes to handling a startled cat or anything else. If this isn't the case now it certainly could be in the near future. I'm happy that the OP chooses to maintain stimulation for her husband and I'm more than happy that she wants a de-clawed cat to help her husband. Cats can adapt very well to confused individuals but I'd keep an eye on them both when they're interacting. Cats know what they like and what they don't like and they are excellent at making these feelings known to anyone; confused people included. It is safer for him and can be more rewarding for both the person and the cat. My clawed cats are wonderful, but anyone who says a cat never scratches doesn't have one with claws!

I just wanted to say, I am so sorry for what you are going thru...and I do hope the kitty works out for you..I also feel no one should be judging you as you did not ask whether to declaw a cat or not, just where to get one..Best Wishes. Take care of yourself.

Archived