Chapala.com Webboard

Seeking advise from tech type person on flat screen LCD TV problem

Five years ago i brought a new 42" Magnavox LCD flat screen down here and have had Dish Satellite service since. The problem is that a few months ago when I turned on the TV the picture would come on but shortly fade to black. I found a way around this by first turning on the TV but not the receiver and letting it "warm up" for a while and then when i turned on the receiver the picture would remain without fading out. This "warm up" time now requires a longer and longer time and now tales about 10 - 15 minutes. Recently the picture has faded to black after being on for some time and by simply turning the receiver off and then on the picture would come back. I have a feeling that there is a part that needs to be replaced. If so, does anyone know the name of this part and where is the best place to take it to be replaced. I don't want to just take it to a TV repair shop and ask them to troubleshoot. I would like to have an actual recommended solution and not leave myself open for possible mischief. Thanks for any help on this.

Is this a Vizio or some other big screen TV manufactured in China? My sons bought a bad TV at a yard sale, and then they trouble shooted it until they found the defect. It was a bad relay, and it is a common defect in these machines.

They ordered the parts from China, and now they buy dead TV's off of Craigslist and repair them in their spare time. Since we are NOB, there is little we can do to help you, but I just wanted to let you know that there is a way to repair the thing. So don't trash it yet.

i had a plasma where i heard a pop and the screen went black. still had sound.

do a search on internet: enter brand, LCS, and brief description of problem

ie losing picture, or slow to warm up

there is a wealth of info on the web. i found what was wrong, the the manufacture would cover the cost of part, i just had to pay installer..... yet TV was no longer under warrenty..

Archived